Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
uveuleurz, Noitartst, KAMI, Betty6123, nigarnigar
57304 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57304 Members
417 Forums
113268 Topics
803624 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 576
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 374
Beetlemess 299
Jana - Creativity Editor 247
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 82
Nancy Roussy 56
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 55
Dorcy 54
Sandra Investing/HFinance 51
Linu 47
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#712611 - 09/06/11 09:53 AM What was the first herb you ever grew?
Rebecca G. Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Loc: Wisconsin
When you started growing herbs, what was the first on you tried and how did it go?

Add What was the first herb you ever grew? to Twitter Add What was the first herb you ever grew? to Facebook Add What was the first herb you ever grew? to MySpace Add What was the first herb you ever grew? to Del.icio.us Digg What was the first herb you ever grew? Add What was the first herb you ever grew? to Yahoo My Web Add What was the first herb you ever grew? to Google Bookmarks Add What was the first herb you ever grew? to Stumbleupon Add What was the first herb you ever grew? to Reddit
#712639 - 09/06/11 02:05 PM Re: What was the first herb you ever grew? [Re: Rebecca G.]
Allison_PCAdvice Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko

Loc: Boston, MA
I don't think I started with just one and if I did I am not sure I could remember exactly which one!

My guess would be I started with parsley but quickly added cilantro, basil, rosemary, thyme and oregano. Over the years I have also grown dill, sage, lemon basil and others that escape me right now.

The first basil plant I grew went wild! I was able to divide and give away basil plants to other people - it kept going for quite awhile. I have not had a plant like that since.

Add Re: What was the first herb you ever grew? to Twitter Add Re: What was the first herb you ever grew? to Facebook Add Re: What was the first herb you ever grew? to MySpace Add Re: What was the first herb you ever grew? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: What was the first herb you ever grew? Add Re: What was the first herb you ever grew? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: What was the first herb you ever grew? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: What was the first herb you ever grew? to Stumbleupon Add Re: What was the first herb you ever grew? to Reddit
#712734 - 09/06/11 07:56 PM Re: What was the first herb you ever grew? [Re: Allison_PCAdvice]
joanj Offline
Koala

Loc: Texas
The first herb I ever grew was basil. What a difference in flavor between fresh and the bottled kind you get in a store. I've grown many other herbs since then, but still love basil. Since we moved to Texas, my basil goes crazy in the heat!

I just made a big batch of pesto the other night for dinner, freezing the leftovers for winter stew.

Add Re: What was the first herb you ever grew? to Twitter Add Re: What was the first herb you ever grew? to Facebook Add Re: What was the first herb you ever grew? to MySpace Add Re: What was the first herb you ever grew? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: What was the first herb you ever grew? Add Re: What was the first herb you ever grew? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: What was the first herb you ever grew? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: What was the first herb you ever grew? to Stumbleupon Add Re: What was the first herb you ever grew? to Reddit
#712745 - 09/06/11 10:07 PM Re: What was the first herb you ever grew? [Re: joanj]
msbaby Offline
Gecko

Loc: The Sunny Southland
A friend of mine went north to nurse her mother through an illness in Maine and brought me back a pot of mint after remembering that I said I would love to have some for tea.

I had my doubts that a plant that was used to the growing environment in Maine would thrive in hot humid Mississippi summers but I put the pot in a semi-shady spot and kept it well watered and it did just fine.

Every time I brush past it the air is filled with the most refreshing minty smell! I just love it.

#712749 - 09/06/11 10:27 PM Re: What was the first herb you ever grew? [Re: msbaby]
Helen Doll Making Editor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Loc: Missouri, USA
My first herb was lemon balm. I was unaware of how invasive it can be and planted it in my front flower garden. It went wild, but I didn't mind...each time I cut the grass my entire yard smelled wonderful. LOL

#712764 - 09/07/11 12:08 AM Re: What was the first herb you ever grew? [Re: Helen Doll Making Editor]
Dianne W - Editor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf

Loc: Virginia
My first were the basics - parsley, cilantro, basil. They didn't grow so well. One of my staff gave an excellent presentation on growing herbs so my second time around they grew nicely. I was even able to use them. Life happened and I neglected them so I'm starting again and hoping for an even better "crop". I've added lavendar and thyme.

The secret to a perfect interview? Know your story and practice it!

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon

#712769 - 09/07/11 02:31 AM Re: What was the first herb you ever grew? [Re: Dianne W - Editor]
Red Carpet Dresses Offline
Jellyfish

I grow basil, thyme and rosemary. The rosemary is going especially strong and is great to bake with potato wedges, garlic and olive oil! YUM

#713516 - 09/11/11 10:22 PM Re: What was the first herb you ever grew? [Re: Red Carpet Dresses]
Rebecca G. Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Loc: Wisconsin
With your first herb, did you have anyone close by to help guide you?

Moderator:  Bettina-Dogs/Herbs Editor 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
What Is Space Weather? *new article*
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Today at 07:20 AM
The Challenge of Aging Wine
by Peter - Wine
Wine
Today at 05:28 AM
Weekly Monday Weigh-In
by Peter - Wine
Low Carb
Today at 05:04 AM
Replace one word (Music Titles)
by "Rosie"
Comedy Movies
Today at 04:28 AM
Word From Last Letter Game
by "Rosie"
Contests & Sweepstakes
Today at 04:25 AM
Music ABC game
by "Rosie"
Pop Music
Today at 04:20 AM
Shopping at Walmart Game
by Dorcy
Home Finance
Today at 12:29 AM
I went NUTS last week!
by Allyson - USACook/HomeCook
Home Cooking
Yesterday at 11:40 PM
What Did You Write Today?
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Fiction Writing
Yesterday at 10:16 PM
Lisa's Daily 10pm EST / 8pm MST Meditation
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Meditation
Yesterday at 09:33 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 63 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.