Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Ages ago Phyllis there was a thread about a Hedgehog Sanctuary, and I said that in Germany Hedgehogs are a protected species, with their own 24 hour emergency hotline and special food for them to be found in every supermarket.

Thought that
these four photos might be 'fun' to see..

The text is in German, but it is about a hedgehog, who finished up a glass of Bailey�s Irish Cream left in a garden after an outdoor party and what happened to him next.

Well he was discovered lying next to the empty glass, and extremely �hung over�, the next morning but was taken into the house where he slept solidly for twelve hours.

He was then given a �Katerfruehstueck�, �hangover breakfast�, of water fed through a syringe and cat food, and finally when he was back to �himself�, or it could even have been a party loving �herself�, the hedgehog was set free to return to its normal routine, though no doubt still wondering what on earth had happened.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Oh! The poor little guy (or girl). I hope Hedgehog made it home okay.

Thanks for sharing that, Francine. It is so cute. I remember the Hedgehog thread. I think it is wonderful that "Hedgehogs are a protected species, with their own 24 hour emergency hotline and special food for them to be found in every supermarket."

I have never seen one in person, or in Hedgehog(?).

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Oh dear, poor thing. I know they like to drink milk, so I guess this it thought this was a creamy treat.

Many years ago my mother (American) came to live in England and was puzzled by some droppings by her back door - obviously not dog or cat. A neighbor told her, much to her puzzlement, that it was an "ajog." She finally asked for a spelling of this animal and got: oitch-oi-day-jay-oi-oitch-oh-jay, i.e., h-e-d-g-e-h-o-g. As Bernard Shaw said of the USA and UK: two countries seperated by a common language.

"Ajog" - I love it. What a cute story, Mona.

I wonder if they have smaller bottles of Baileys for the Ajogs?

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Gosh that is funny Mona, but can well imagine it happening. Last visited the UK two years ago and in two particular areas I had virtually no idea of what was being said a lot of the time�����..and I grew up hearing English English.

It was a foreign language.

In many ways also even in �normal� conversation the pronunciation can be quite different from the way the word is spelt. An American friend of mine is still asks for Wor-sester-shire Sauce, when he is in the UK and wants to �stock up� and can�t find it on the shelf and is met with blank looks. The spelling is Worcestershire Sauce, but it is of course pronounced �Wooostershar Saws�, and now he always takes an empty bottle to show what he means.

And I love the idea of miniature bottles of Bailey's for 'partying' hedgehogs Phyllis. Our ever expanding family of hedgehogs here devour masses of slugs and snails as if they are delicacies, probably could do with a small 'digestif' sometimes.

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Do the majority of the Hedgehogs run wild then? Seems like they are very good for the gardening environment.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Yes Phyllis, Hedgehogs do run wild in Europe. They are a 'wild animal', although there is not much about them that is 'wild' as far as their behaviour goes.

They are really cute, and they 'snort' like little piglets when they are hunting for food. It is amazing how fast they can run too.

Folks look after them if they happen to be in their own garden or surroundings as far as making sure they have enough food, are healthy and have somewhere warm and dry to hibernate during the cold months, but in Germany it is illegal to have them as pets, or to capture them.

If one is found sick or injured in some way then there are the free clinics and hotline where you can find out what is wrong, and how to deal with it. After that they can be nursed in your home if they are well enough, and don't have to go into a proper facility, but only until they are declared to be better. And this will be checked.

You must free the hedgehog back into the wild as soon as it is fit though. That is the law.

We had one for several years when we lived in Belgium who was blind, so would run around the garden at all times of the day and night instead of just coming out when it was dark, and for many friends from the US it was for them also the first time they had seen one 'in real life'.

One friend almost had hysterics when the 'not so little' spikey thing suddenly ran by her legs, as we were enjoying an outside lunch, as it was on its way to its favourite place under a bush on the terrace. She had never even seen a picture of one before then.

And yes they really are amazing 'little helpers' in the garden, by the end of the summer it is virtually 'pest free'.

What with the German garden gnomes and the Hedgehogs the gardener in Germany hardly has any work to do herself/himself. laugh

Last edited by Francine - German Culture; 09/08/11 01:28 AM.

In America, the hedgehog is sold as 'exotic pets' and there are many breeders online -- they ship the babies to customers.

There are no living species native to the Americas. Looking at pictures of them, I think they are cute little critters.

I think it is great that they are so protected in Germany and allowed to be free in their natural way. smile

Last edited by Phyllis-Folk/Myth; 09/08/11 11:56 AM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Thought that this might interest you Phyllis. The Europeans in general are very strict about 'Exotic' pets etc., and this article was published this week via the German World Service, Deutsche Welle, written by the talented German Culture editor from two editors back, Holly Fox and edited by Nathan Witkop.

Protecting endangered species by sniffing out wildlife contraband in new arrivals' luggage.

Last edited by Francine - German Culture; 09/08/11 01:51 PM.

That is a good program to help save endangered species. Thanks for sharing that link, Francine. Dogs are often used as detectives/investigators and when well-trained are excellent at their jobs.

Phyllis Doyle Burns

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.