Print Thread
#712619 09/06/11 08:11 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I received this email

I am brand new to wine making. Last year I made some in August--in a 5 gallon glass jug. It was okay--good enough for me but 2 others turned their heads up at it--it wasn't strained. I use grapes from the vines outside--sometime in the Spring it turned to vinegar. Does anyone drink vinegar wine? I don't want to pour it out.

I need a simple-very simple recipe. Over the year I can pout blueberriy, strawberry, apples and peach juice into it. I did this last year and wonder if that made it turn to vinegar. I will read and consider any recipe you say is simple and works

I am not an expert on home winemaking, so this is the reply I sent

If the wine turned to vinegar -- rather than just being sour/sharp -- it could possibly be that you didn't use a Campden tablet

If you are using grapes from your garden, are they Vitis Vinifera? If not then they usually need extra treatment (added water and or sugar) to get a drinkable wine.

The best place for recipes for homemade wine from non-vinifera grapes and other fruits is Jack Kellers site at http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/index.asp

Scroll down to the very bottom of that page and you'll find a 6x3 grid of yellow boxes with links to everything you need to know, including many recipes for all sorts of grapes & fruits, and there's tons more info if you read Jacks blog.

In particular, your vinegar problem is discussed here http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/problems.asp , look for Acetification (under Uncommon problems)

I thought I post the Q & A here since Jack Kellers site is a tremendous resource that anyone considering making wine at home should know about.

Peter F May, Wine Editor
Wine Website
WineForum
My Book
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Sounds like it could be the vinegar fly. The bucket for the first fermentation has to be kept well covered with several layers of muslin cloth. Even better if you can secure it with a string or rubber band.

The other thing that keeps problems to a minimum is to rinse all utensils out with boiling water from the kettle before using them.

Hope this helps.

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
N
N
there are lots of guides you can find online to avoid that problems in home wine making.

Moderated by  Peter - Wine 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.