Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
R
When you started growing herbs, what was the first on you tried and how did it go?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I don't think I started with just one and if I did I am not sure I could remember exactly which one!

My guess would be I started with parsley but quickly added cilantro, basil, rosemary, thyme and oregano. Over the years I have also grown dill, sage, lemon basil and others that escape me right now.

The first basil plant I grew went wild! I was able to divide and give away basil plants to other people - it kept going for quite awhile. I have not had a plant like that since.

J
Koala
Koala
J
The first herb I ever grew was basil. What a difference in flavor between fresh and the bottled kind you get in a store. I've grown many other herbs since then, but still love basil. Since we moved to Texas, my basil goes crazy in the heat!

I just made a big batch of pesto the other night for dinner, freezing the leftovers for winter stew.

Gecko
Gecko
A friend of mine went north to nurse her mother through an illness in Maine and brought me back a pot of mint after remembering that I said I would love to have some for tea.

I had my doubts that a plant that was used to the growing environment in Maine would thrive in hot humid Mississippi summers but I put the pot in a semi-shady spot and kept it well watered and it did just fine.

Every time I brush past it the air is filled with the most refreshing minty smell! I just love it.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
My first herb was lemon balm. I was unaware of how invasive it can be and planted it in my front flower garden. It went wild, but I didn't mind...each time I cut the grass my entire yard smelled wonderful. LOL

D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
My first were the basics - parsley, cilantro, basil. They didn't grow so well. One of my staff gave an excellent presentation on growing herbs so my second time around they grew nicely. I was even able to use them. Life happened and I neglected them so I'm starting again and hoping for an even better "crop". I've added lavendar and thyme.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I grow basil, thyme and rosemary. The rosemary is going especially strong and is great to bake with potato wedges, garlic and olive oil! YUM

R
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
R
With your first herb, did you have anyone close by to help guide you?

Moderated by  Bettina-Dogs/Herbs Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:59 AM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:15 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.