Next Thread
Print Thread
#712626 09/06/11 08:59 AM
A
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
A
Peter the Great -- "Petr Veliky" -- was Russia's first emperor and is remembered for the reforms he instituted.
He traveled through Europe incognito and socialized with nobility and commoners alike.
I'd say he was a fascinating man and I would have enjoyed having dinner with him!
Here's the link to the article:
[utl]http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art64166.asp[/url]

Anna - AHHA
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

What a fascinating article Anna, it really wets the appetite to read and learn more. Russian history is so interesting, and despite the impression of it having been a hidden empire somehow it was interconnected with all the other countries throughout Europe.

Peter the Great certainly was a modern and free thinking monarch, even more especially for those days, and he brought about progress in so many directions. He even introduced compulsory education to certain levels of society I believe, which was more than any of the other European monarchs of the period had thought of doing.

Although I did feel sorry for Eudoxia, his first wife, when I first learnt about her treatment at his hands. For such a open minded man it seemed a hard way to deal with her, even if it had been an arranged marriage, that after all was quite normal for the times, and especially amongst the high ranking aristocracy of all the European ruling families.

Nevertheless at least he did not chop off her head which certain British monarchs tended to do, and it might have been a long wait but Peter�s grandson did rescue her during his brief reign as emperor so eventually she had her life back.

Thanks for writing the article, it was both interesting and fun to read.

Peter the Great

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

A
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
A
Yes, Francine, Peter the Great accomplished much for Russia. I'd say that he brought her out of the dark ages and into the light.
Some Russians, would however disagree with me, insisting that he blatently disregarded the old traditions/customs by adopting Western ideas and as the final insult, dared to question the Russian Orthodox Church.
Thanx for the feedback, it's appreciated!

Anna - AHHA

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.