Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
astrovalley, angella, cory455, marger, simplicityshines
57413 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57413 Members
417 Forums
113476 Topics
805639 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 07:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 493
Beetlemess 242
Jana - Creativity Editor 142
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 135
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 92
Nancy Roussy 88
Susan - Meditation Editor 46
Sandra Investing/HFinance 44
Mona - Astronomy 44
Dianne W - Editor 26
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#712619 - 09/06/11 08:11 AM Home winemaking problems
Peter - Wine Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

I received this email

I am brand new to wine making. Last year I made some in August--in a 5 gallon glass jug. It was okay--good enough for me but 2 others turned their heads up at it--it wasn't strained. I use grapes from the vines outside--sometime in the Spring it turned to vinegar. Does anyone drink vinegar wine? I don't want to pour it out.

I need a simple-very simple recipe. Over the year I can pout blueberriy, strawberry, apples and peach juice into it. I did this last year and wonder if that made it turn to vinegar. I will read and consider any recipe you say is simple and works

I am not an expert on home winemaking, so this is the reply I sent

If the wine turned to vinegar -- rather than just being sour/sharp -- it could possibly be that you didn't use a Campden tablet

If you are using grapes from your garden, are they Vitis Vinifera? If not then they usually need extra treatment (added water and or sugar) to get a drinkable wine.

The best place for recipes for homemade wine from non-vinifera grapes and other fruits is Jack Kellers site at http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/index.asp

Scroll down to the very bottom of that page and you'll find a 6x3 grid of yellow boxes with links to everything you need to know, including many recipes for all sorts of grapes & fruits, and there's tons more info if you read Jacks blog.

In particular, your vinegar problem is discussed here http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/problems.asp , look for Acetification (under Uncommon problems)

I thought I post the Q & A here since Jack Kellers site is a tremendous resource that anyone considering making wine at home should know about.
My Book

Add Home winemaking problems to Twitter Add Home winemaking problems to Facebook Add Home winemaking problems to MySpace Add Home winemaking problems to Del.icio.us Digg Home winemaking problems Add Home winemaking problems to Yahoo My Web Add Home winemaking problems to Google Bookmarks Add Home winemaking problems to Stumbleupon Add Home winemaking problems to Reddit
#712918 - 09/07/11 05:56 PM Re: Home winemaking problems [Re: Peter - Wine]
Ninjahedgewych Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Loc: Portsmouth, England
Sounds like it could be the vinegar fly. The bucket for the first fermentation has to be kept well covered with several layers of muslin cloth. Even better if you can secure it with a string or rubber band.

The other thing that keeps problems to a minimum is to rinse all utensils out with boiling water from the kettle before using them.

Hope this helps.

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama

Add Re: Home winemaking problems to Twitter Add Re: Home winemaking problems to Facebook Add Re: Home winemaking problems to MySpace Add Re: Home winemaking problems to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Home winemaking problems Add Re: Home winemaking problems to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Home winemaking problems to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Home winemaking problems to Stumbleupon Add Re: Home winemaking problems to Reddit
#771599 - 07/05/12 09:18 PM Re: Home winemaking problems [Re: Peter - Wine]
Neil Samsung Offline

there are lots of guides you can find online to avoid that problems in home wine making.

Add Re: Home winemaking problems to Twitter Add Re: Home winemaking problems to Facebook Add Re: Home winemaking problems to MySpace Add Re: Home winemaking problems to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Home winemaking problems Add Re: Home winemaking problems to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Home winemaking problems to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Home winemaking problems to Stumbleupon Add Re: Home winemaking problems to Reddit

Moderator:  Peter - Wine 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Fall allergies
by angella
Allergies & Colds
Today at 01:04 AM
AIDS & HIV
by angella
AIDS & HIV
Today at 01:02 AM
Florida Contests and Sweepstakes
by Trish-Contest/Sweepstakes
Contests & Sweepstakes
Yesterday at 08:49 PM
Lisa's Daily 10pm EST / 8pm MST Meditation
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Meditation
Yesterday at 05:50 PM
Gouda Cheese and its Skin
Low Carb
Yesterday at 04:23 PM
Gear Art Project
Photography
Yesterday at 03:06 PM
Star-gazing – Seeing in Dim Light *new*
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Yesterday at 02:45 PM
Salad Time
Low Carb
Yesterday at 02:08 PM
Daily Vitamin Options
Low Carb
Yesterday at 02:00 PM
Vitamin C - Do You Take Any?
Low Carb
Yesterday at 01:42 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
0 registered (), 55 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.