Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Excerpt: I realized that maybe fairy tales and I are a perfect match: those Disney endings where the prince and the princess end up blissfully married don�t really happen in the original stories. To make sure kids go home happy, not horrified, Disney usually has to alter the endings. Read on for the original endings to a couple of Disney classics (and some more obscure tales).

8 Fairy Tales and Their Not-So-Happy Endings

Lisa Binion
Fiction Writing

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Gosh have you brought back memories Lisa.

Despite a great deal of strong opposition, I refused to read my sons the tales of Brothers Grimm when they were small because they had horrified me as a child. Beautifully written they may have been, but unnecessarily cruel and frightening they certainly were, even for my long ago generation of children.

Much later, when seeing some 'sanitised' Disney type versions with the boys, it brought back memories of those sleepless nights.

Children must have been a lot tougher 'way back then' I imagine, otherwise how could the tales have survived, and been popular, throughout the centuries.

Nope, was not a perfect match for these tales, and thank goodness, because the guilt factor about depriving the boys of 'classics' was strong, found later that many parents had had the same experiences and dealt with them the same way.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Shark
Shark
I was never a fan of Disney and their "happily-ever-after" endings... even as a child I think I was too cynical to buy into that ;-) Now, I think I still love the original Brothers Grimm stories and "real" folktales because they really show that not every little girl is a princess, not all the endings are fair and there's very, very rarely a fairy godmother that comes along and hands you everything you want.

I suppose it's a matter of what you want in a story... but I've always been oddly attracted to the dark and the gritty.

One of the most amazing re-tellings of a fairy tale I've ever read is Neil Gaiman's version of Snow White -- Snow, Glass, Apples. The "wicked" stepmother tells her side of the story -- it's an absolutely brilliant piece.

Debra Kelly
BellaOnline:Dogs

"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's."
- Mark Twain, Letter to W D Howells, 4/2/1899
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Debra, I have to admit that I, too, am a fan of the not-so-happy endings of the original Grimm's fairy tales, though I never did read the originals to my children while they were little. Once they were older, I bought a book, Grimm's Grimmest, that contained the original versions of many of their tales. I really want to read the original French version of Hansel and Gretel, but it isn't available online anywhere and a hard copy of the book the tale is in is really expensive. I will have to find Neil Gaiman's version of Snow White. That sounds interesting.

I'm not fond of the Disney versions, but I do like the new Gram's Fairy Tales. I think they are cute. And they aren't meant to be scary at all. I don't think there is any way possible for those tales to make any child have nightmares.

Yes, Francine, I imagine children long, long ago when these tales were written could handle how horrifying and gruesome they were much better than our 'modern' children. Parents probably told them to their children to encourage them to behave and keep them out of danger.

Lisa Binion
Fiction Writing

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Hi Lisa, There is a French language copy of Hansel and Gretel on Amazon.fr, and they of course send to the USA, although the postage will be about the same as the book probably.

Hansel et Gretel [Broch�]
Jacob Grimm (Auteur)
(the same book is in German in Amazon.de under Haensel und Gretel, Nord Sued-Verlag 1973)

As the Brothers Grimm were born in Hanau, Germany, it was originally written in German, and there is at least one German language copy for sale on Amazon.com.

Hansel Und Gretel (German Edition) [Paperback]

Lots more on Amazon.de of course.

Including Haensel und Gretel praesentiert von Frendees zweisprachig Deutsch / Englisch [Translated] [Kindle Edition]Which is in English and German and costs less than Euro 1.

Wish you luck in your hunt for the book.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Gecko
Gecko
Wow. Awesome work Lisa! I never knew these happy-ever-after stories had such gory beginnings (Cinderella).

I love music, movies!! I write at mag for women in free time.

Moderated by  Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.