Next Thread
Print Thread
#711605 08/30/11 08:52 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Have you ever heard the Cherokee stories of the Little People? I've had weird things happen all my life, but never really thought about these stories. The events of this weekend have made me reconsider some of those past weird things.

The Little People of the Cherokee

I'm beginning to think they have been with me for much longer than I have known about them. An Elder friend frankly admitted a few live in his house and there are regular interactions. However, the sun has set here in the Deep South and it's considered inappropriate to talk about them after dark.

So if the sun is still up in your part of the world, and you've experienced something attributable to the Little People, Please share it. Don't be concerned if it sounds a little crazy. Most of us here can easily relate.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
maybe they are the ones that make me forget to turn the dryer on before bed and wake up to wet clothes :\

per aspera ad astra: Through rough ways to the stars...

A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
Jane, the little ones are out and about. I see them at times rarely in clarity but mostly out of the corner of my eye. I believe that they exist in all cultures and folklore. I have been laughed at because of what I know about them, little that it might be, but I know that they exist and have even guided me into a greater understanding of my own life. dave

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Jane, what a wonderful message you pass on to us. It is so delightful to hear stories from others about the Little People. Your story brings cherished memories back of my father. He often told us about the "Wee Folk" and his description of their different clan responsibilities is similar to your Little People.

I remember walking out to the Dogwood tree one day with Dad. It was across the meadow then a little dirt road and the tree grew just at the edge of the swamp. Dad had with him a small wooden bear he had carved. When we got to the Dogwood tree, he sat the little bear down among the leaves on the ground, close to the trunk. I knew why he did that.

He left a gift for the Wee Folk for helping him with some problem in his work shop. He seemed quite happy and pleased the next day.

And as I was typing this, I found a small seed bead sitting next to my keyboard. I was organizing my beads last night and dropped a few. I managed to find them all (I thought) in the carpet. Apparently I missed one. A member of the Wee Folk must have put it there for me. It was not there last night when I turned off the computer.

Last edited by Phyllis-Folk/Myth; 09/02/11 10:20 AM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Yes, they are definitely out and about, Dave. My best friend of 35 years has begun her journey of discovery. I related my experience of this past weekend, and then my Little friends visited her!

A pow-wow flyer appeared on her dining room table. She'll be meeting a vendor friend of ours there, and just might see that guy she met at Strong Sun Pow-Wow. YEAH!!

Are there any stories about Little People helping with romance? I'll get another box of granola bars, if they can help out my friend smile

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Phyllis, thank you for sharing the story about your Father's gift. I hadn't thought about offering something I made to the Little People. Will keep that in mind for the next time a craft project is "fighting" me.

It happens frequently. My projects tend to turn out how they want, rather than as planned, and I have many to complete before October 1st.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Oh, projects! I have so many going that I have to work on a different one every night. Hopefully they will get done by Christmas.

The same thing happens with my projects that you experience. If I am making something for someone else, the project takes on its own spirit and seems to create itself.

Tonight I am working on a medicine bag for a friend and it is very interesting the way it is becoming its own creation.

The Wee Folk have been into my beads, I think -- I will have to make something pretty for them, or maybe some tiny cakes.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I got 2 dreamcatchers strung last weekend and another one last night. I have three more hoops made from wild grape vine, which grows on the Tribal Grounds. Got those ready to string as well.

I need to get my jewelry stuff out and complete a few items, long delayed. Phyllis, you have me a little worried. If my Little friends got into my beads, I will have yet another mess to sort. Granola bars will be on the grocery list! smile

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
The other day I read that if you see the Little People, you are not to talk about it for 7 years. Looking over some of the stories, I think this applies to speaking of the details, such as physical descriptions and the specifics of where you saw them, and what they were doing.

I can understand why it's not appropriate to discuss them after sunset. Talking about them at night might get their attention. I have enough "weird" things in my life and certainly don't want to attract more.

I wonder if there are similar customs in European and other societies.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
Jane, they will never harm you! They are tricksters at times granted but they are here for a purpose. I have heard some say that one must be insane to say that they see them. Let me tell you that there have been a few times, though rare, that if it was not for them I might have gone insane. People don't understand that they also give counsel and comfort in a world that can't be bothered with our own, as most would call it, trivial plight. They are just as real as you and I. You can speak about them or with them. If one believes in them first one will then see them. We do not always have to see them first to believe in them. These are some old ancient European beliefs from my family. dave

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.