Print Thread
G
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
G
My review of the latest X Men movie is on th Sf/Fantasy site

X Men First Class

What do you think - great movie, big fail, or just OK?

Gail Kavanagh
http://scififantasymovies
Gail Kavanagh
Philippines
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Parakeet
Parakeet
I have not seen that X-Men film, but I did not like the other films that much. They always made Wolverine look like the hero or the tough guy, but he was far from the most powerful X-Men. They women were always downplayed in the films. The films were not that great, especially when compared to the X-Men stories of the 1960s and 70s.

F
Gecko
Gecko
F
I have found that it is not a proper comparision to look at the comics movies of the 21st century compared to the comics versions of the late middle 20th century. They are really only tenuously related.

I was a reader of the original X-men in the 60s.

Today Wolverine is the star - what are you going to do? He is in fact one of the most popular super heroes ever created. The producers should ignore this?

I'm not so sure that the women were exactly downplayed either. Wasn't it Storm and Jean Grey who saved the day in the second film?

At any rate, I will eventually watch this movie, on a DVD, when it comes to my library.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I really liked X-Men first class, I've liked all the X-Men movies apart from the third where they ruined the Phoenix saga. I have to agree that there's far too much Wolverine, but he is the most popular character. I've always loved Emma Frost and was dissapointed with a few of the things they got incorrect in this movie - for a start of, brass would not hold Emma Frost in her diamond form, she would have broken loose and literally killed Magneto - she's a far stronger mutant than Magneto and is on the same level telepath as Xavier, but holds the extra talent of her diamond form.

I really liked the movie, but I agree - the women need to be shown more. Storm, the first African American in comic books was made light of in the first three movies. Though I love Mystique in those.

I found myself far more on Magneto's side than on Xavier's in this film however. But it was wonderfully entertaining and told a solid story.

You can't take a prequel as literally I feel as has been in the review - such as comparing actors. Comparing it to Thor, I think you either loved thor or hated it. THe love story in Thor for instance was so tacked on at the end, and suddenly they were in love.

Plus, I have to say the Kennedy's are very low thought of IMO - murderers who got what they deserved, as a curse took them. (I'm sure that won't go down well - but that's how I feel.) It's a comic book movie - I don't see how you can compare it to true events, with all the secrets the Kennedys had - who knows if they didn't have mutants save the day LOL.

Last edited by Horror_Movies_Editor; 09/01/11 04:29 PM.

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
"Whatever you do, don't - fall - asleep!"

Moderated by  Gillian ClassicalMusic 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.