Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Thank you Lisa and Linda for your interesting input.

Peter F May, Wine Editor
Wine Website
WineForum
My Book
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
In modern Paganism wine occupies a somewhat ambiguous place. Most Pagan rituals and Sabbats conclude with 'cakes and ale' which is used to "earth" the participants anchoring them in shared reality. Sometimes ale is used but equally common for non-alcoholic drink to be used.

There is evidence for wine used in the ancient Greek Dionysian mysteries where drinking to excess might have been part of the ritual practice as outlined here

At the rituals I have been at wine has never been in evidence but mead and ale have been at the end.

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Because of my background in physiology, nutrition and counseling, I have to agree with the Qur'an that whatever slight benefit might be found in alcoholic beverages, the negative effects far outweigh the positive in present day society.

In the teachings of the Bah�'� Faith, anything which clouds the mind and damages the seat of the soul (i.e., the body) is expressly forbidden. That includes recreational alcoholic beverages and other systemic poisons, such as opiates, excitants, hallucinogens, and also certain behaviors that prove bad for the body, mind, and society as a whole-- such as, sexual promiscuity, gambling, arson, gossip & backbiting, all forms of prejudice, nationalism, partisan politics, religious warfare, etc.

However, the use of the word wine in religious texts is long standing, and is even part of the Bah�'� sacred texts as a symbol either for ecstatic emotion--such as in, "The wine of the love of God"-- or to mean priceless treasure--as in, "The choice sealed wine of My laws."

The Bah�'� site at BellaOnline has an article that might be of further interest: Bah�'�s and Alcohol -
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art57632.asp

Cheryll Schuette
Bahá'í Site
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Thanks for posting, Cheryll.

Peter F May, Wine Editor
Wine Website
WineForum
My Book
Gecko
Gecko
Well Joy, it's mentioned in the Quran that any substance which deviates the mind or makes people lose control of themselves shouldn't be consumed. It's a taboo. So drugs, alcohol and even hookah falls under this category.
It's doesn't seem illogical if you go to see in this sense. The consequences of these items are not good for anyone. Even wine has some percent of alcohol content, so it's not allowed.

Did I answer your queries Joy?

I love music, movies!! I write at mag for women in free time.
J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Originally Posted By: jodiemt
Well Joy, it's mentioned in the Quran that any substance which deviates the mind or makes people lose control of themselves shouldn't be consumed. It's a taboo. So drugs, alcohol and even hookah falls under this category...Did I answer your queries Joy?
Hi Jodie, yes, many thanks for the info. (JOY)

A
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
A
This was an interesting thread! I'm a Christian and our pastor commented on why our particular church doesn't use wine in the communion service. In days past there were people desperately trying to escape the addiction and communion was serving to tempt them with a little "taste".. so they went to grape juice.

As conservative as I was raised, I was fascinated to find that my religion is actually one of the more liberal ones when it comes to alcohol. My family was not, however. We have a history of alcoholism and it is not included at our family functions.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Peter - Wine 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:59 AM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:15 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.