Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Just say his name and it can get a conversation going. This weekend I was talking with an Elder about AIM and Mr. Peltier.

Leonard Peltier - A Question of Justice

After learning about the FBI and GOON activities on Pine Ridge leading up to the tragedy at Jumping Bull Ranch, I can't image the fear those folks had to deal with. It's hard to believe all this happened in the US.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Leonard Peltier's birthday is September 12th and his mailing address is listed on the website for his defense committee

Who is Leonard Peltier

I'm certain he sincerely appreciates each and every communication of support. There is at least one current campaign based on Facebook for letters and phone calls to the prison. With concerns for his treatment, a possible transfer and health issues, we need to let prison officials know their actions are being monitored and will be publicized.

Leonard Peltier - Transfer Alert - Urgent Action!!!

This is a Public Event, so anyone with a Facebook account can join in. The dates are 8/23/2011 to 11/23/2011. Along with the many comments from supporters, there's also some video links.

Here's the Facebook Birthday Page. It's also a Public Event and has additional videos and information.

Celebrate the Birthday of Leonard Peltier

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
This week's article contains more information on Leonard Peltier. The more I read about this trial, the more enraged I am over the prosecutable misconduct of not only the FBI, but the prosecution and the Judge!

It makes you wonder how many more cases like this there are, but without the publicity maintained by Peltier's supporters.

Leonard Peltier's Sacrifice

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
D
D
It is not hard for me to believe that this could happen in the US. One time I was fundraising and I met a man and he said he wouldn't give me a penny because there were orientals in my church. And I asked him how he could be so narrow minded. He reached in his pocket and pulled out a big silver coin and on it was the symbol KKK. He then said that (the N word for black Americans) were not human beings. I told him that he was sick and how could he say that and he said there is no mention on a black man in the Bible...and so they were not human. It just so happens a Black man carried the cross for Jesus (Simon) when he was about to be crucified. Wherever there is small mindedness and ignorance, anything can happen. The same thing happened when the Germans thought they were the superior race. If this man is innocent, I pray that he will be liberated by our Father in Heaven soon. Prayer is powerful, I think we should all pray for him. Thank you for listening. Debbie

D
D
I saw the video about what happened on the reservation. So many testimonies from various people. I used to fundraise on different Indian Reservations and the people were always so kind to me. I used to fundraise in Alaska to the Inuit people and they always invited me in their homes and fed me and let me stay for as long as I wanted. I was in their villages that you could get to only by small airplane, and there were no hotels and so they always were so kind to let me stay with them. I feel that the Indian people have a deep sensitivity to nature and to God. God is just and the attitude of this man who is in jail is right. He will suffer for his people if he has to. It is hard to forgive these people, but even we must forgive our enemies too. Jan Ruff O'hearne wrote a book called 50 Years of Silence. She was put in a Japanese prison camp during the war and she was young and beautiful and religious. She wanted to be a nun. The Japanese soldiers made a brothel and put her and other young women in it. She was raped all day, everyday, for 6 months or so. She was sure she would die but she survived. I saw her speak and she said that she forgave these people that did this to her. Her faith was so strong. I ask that God can heal all injustices so that one day all mankind can live as brothers. I pray that Mr. Peltier can be liberated from this injustice. Debra Bruce

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Thank you Debra and welcome to the forum. It's hard to fathom that prejudice continues. Even within a society such as ours, some things can't be legislated. You can't outlaw stupidity or mandate love.

Our justice system was set up to be above all this. Unfortunately, it can be manipulated for desired outcomes rather than just ones. I'm not an attorney and have only served on two juries. With my limited knowledge, if half of the items listed in the appeal were correct, a new trial should have been ordered immediately. One could say that if those who tragically died had not been federal officers, a new trial most likely would have occurred. While Leonard Peltier has a huge support base, there is also an organized group who is determined that he remain in jail. In spite of the fact he was not proven guilty and that this is recognized by the government attorney and the parole board, they continue to pressure against parole or communtation of his sentence.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
A Public Event on Facebook has begun to garner support for Leonard Peltier's transfer to a minimum security prison closer to his family. With less than 30 years remaining in his sentence, he qualifies for this transfer.

Please take a moment of your day to read up on this and another moment to send a letter, email, or call the prison to voice your support.

Contact information is on the Facebook page and thank you for helping anyway you can.

Leonard Peltier - Transfer Alert - Urgent Action!!

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
This is AWESOME timing!!!
My Life is My Sun Dance - Prison Writings of Leonard Peltier with Music by Rev Goat Carson and New Orleans Light
has been nominated for a Native American Music Award.

Here's a link to a selection from the book. Tissues might be needed, these are powerful words that will touch your heart.

Prison Writings: My Life is My Sun Dance

Here's the link for you to sample the songs on the CD version

My Life is My Sun Dance

Harvey Arden edited the book and compiled this musical version. Many thanks to him for sharing with me and congratulations for the nomination!

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
You can actually listen to the entire CD at this link. It's not just a few seconds of each song, and it's as diverse as the NAMMY nominees. Reggae, Rap and Traditional all included. There's something for everyone on this CD, even though it's classified as Jazz Infusion.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
More Awesome Timing!
The Mario Benedetti Foundation was set up in honor of this Uruguayan writer who walked on in 2009. The foundation supports human rights and cultural causes.

This week they awarded their first International Human Rights Prize to Leonard Peltier. In the 9/05/11 AFP news release, Ricardo Elena, an honorary board member, states, Peltier's case "is one that is repeated over and over; violation, persecution, eviction, invasion and expropriation of the indigenous people from the time it (the Americas) were 'discovered' until now."

With the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks a few days away, I'm reminded of the comments about 9/12. That day, we were Americans first, focused on the evil which had invaded our borders and killed thousands. We came together to support those who had lost loved ones and the first responders who had risked and sacrificed their lives. We were united that day, in the midst of tragedy, but with strength, resilience, and hope.

9/12 is also Leonard Peltier's birthday. I'm not comparing this travesty of justice to the evil which struck our country. It's his continued strength, resilience, and hope, despite all odds, that's comparable to what we felt and experienced nationwide on his birthday 10 years ago.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.