logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I would say Jane Eyre. Jane came from a well-to-do family, lost her parents and was taken into the charge of an aunt who hated her. Jane was mistreated and abused by the aunt and her son and daughter. She was finally sent to a strict school for girl's, suffered more abuse by the benefactor of the school and most of the teachers, yet made two dear friends. One of her friends was a young girl who died, the other was a young woman teacher who had a gentle spirit. From the teacher, Jane learned to have faith in herself.

Jane grew up alone in spirit, became a teacher at the school and struggled to overcome great odds. She found a position at a home where she was welcomed by the family, made dear friends with the housekeeper and the little girl in her charge and fell in love with the master of the estate. Yet torment and suffering still followed her in life. She left the only man she had ever loved, when she found out he was married to a mentally ill woman he kept locked up in his estate.

She ran away, nearly died, met cousins, nearly married the male cousin who did not love her but wanted her to be his symbol of strength in a foreign lands which would be a bitterly hard struggle.

Jane was spiritually connected to the master of the estate she ran away from, dreamed he was in trouble and needed her. She went back to him, found he had lost his estate, his health, his eye sight, and the mentally ill wife who killed herself. He nearly lost his mind for love of Jane and called out to her spiritually.

She came back to him and stayed with him, bringing him back to life by loving him even when he thought he was worthless.

Wow! I did not mean to give out the story -- I just wanted to say I so admire the faith, courage, determination, and capacity for love that Jane had even though she had been so abused and hurt by others all her life. She had courage, strength and faith and managed to stay alive and believe in herself, against all odds.

I see in Jane the spirituality and faith in self that we all strive for in life. The Jane Eyre character is an inspiration to all who are looking for the strength to find their true path in life.

Last edited by PhyllisFolkMythAppalachia; 10/14/11 02:24 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
E
Amoeba
Amoeba
E
Elizabeth Bennett in Pride & Prejudice.

Gecko
Gecko
Yes, even I was about to say the same - Elizabeth Bennet. I love her.

I love music, movies!! I write at mag for women in free time.
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Maggie Tulliver in The Mill on the Floss.

Scout in To Kill A Mockingbird.

Ann Burden in Z for Zachariah (teenage book by Robert C O'Brien -end of the world stuff and she's a survivor).

Kim Ford in Guy Gavriel Kay's The Fionavar Tapestry trilogy.

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

K
Amoeba
Amoeba
K
Yes! Miss Marple! She's not only a memorable character for women but for seniors too. She used people's perception of her as a "sweet but senile old lady" to find out what was really going on and catch murderers.

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Yay for Miss Marple, Jane Eyre, Elizabeth Bennet etc

But every time I'd say - Becky Sharpe from Vanity Fair. She's more an anti-hero than hero - scheming, grasping, independent and determined - and yet, fascinating.

I also loved the film - Reese Witherspoon was inspired as Becky Sharpe, and it was directed by a woman, Mira Nair. So go girls!! Brilliant.

Last edited by Eileen Brit TV; 11/19/11 04:45 PM.

Eileen O�Sullivan
BritishTelevision Ed
K
Amoeba
Amoeba
K
Oh my! How did I miss Reese Witherspoon as Becky Sharpe! Gotta rent that one...

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Definitely do!

Mira Nair is Indian and the bit with Becky and the elephant (I won't spoil it for anyone!!) in India is just fab.

I must say Vanity Fair is maybe my favourite book - though that could be going a bit far. Hello? Jane Austen?

Incidentally if anyone can buy (or download) anything by Fanny Burney, then please do. You will just love her - she was one of the earliest ever authors, writing in the 18th Century, ie pre-dated Jane Austen, and she writes as if it is all happening today. Very, very contemporary feel, if you can imagine that.

Evelina - or The History of a Young Lady's Entrance Into The World (written in 1778) is wonderful.

Last edited by Eileen Brit TV; 11/19/11 04:54 PM.

Eileen O�Sullivan
BritishTelevision Ed
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Ooh - can I just do another one?

Esther Greenwood in The Bell Jar - by Sylvia Plath.

A thinly veiled autobiography, it is just brilliant in my 'umble opinion, and Esther is adorable.

Eileen O�Sullivan
BritishTelevision Ed
K
Amoeba
Amoeba
K
Thanks, Eileen. You are giving me so much to do that I don't know when I'm going to have time to work! LOL

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.