logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
I just started getting into houseplants and chose some easy-care one's such as a peace lilly (I will be transplanting into a large pot), a small snake plant and a medium-size pothos. I started watering both the lilly and the pothos once a week but not soaking. The lilly has done ok but the pothos is starting to show yellowing of the leaves in the middle part of the plant. It cannot be due to over watering if I am only watering once a week, can it? Should I remove these yellowing leaves?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Koala
Koala
I would remove the yellow leaves. I always think yellow leaves means they need more water. I pick the container up and if it feels light I always give more water. Or poke your finger in the dirt and see how it feels. If it feels dry give water.
With it being so hot outside and most my plants are in windows they need way more water than in the winter time.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
I figured that but was not sure. Also, this is a new plant that is getting use to a newer environment and it could be that as well as older leaves getting ready to die. I read a good article in reagards to these plants and put me in a state of confusion though. It said that it is very important that the whole plant is watered thoroughly and that the rootball gets the water. But then it contradicts itself and says that that these plants cannot sit in water or the roots will more easily rot? So, how should I be watering my pothos? From the top or the bottom? Watering from the bottom allows the roots to get the water they need, but, when I water from the top, the soil runs over the top of the pot and makes a mess and really doesn't soak in. :(

~~BETTER TO BE DISLIKED FOR BEING WHO YOU ARE THEN LOVED FOR BEING WHO YOU ARE NOT~~
L
Amoeba
Amoeba
L
Water from the top and be sure that the water is flowing freely from the holes in the bottom of the pot. This ensures that the entire rootball gets water, as the article you read described. After the water stops flowing from the pot, you may place a dish under it...just be sure that water doesn't sit in the dish. Dump any excess.

Lisa Beth Voldeck
Houseplants
Koala
Koala
Once a month I like to put my potted plants in the tub and I water them. I pour pitchers of water in until the water covers the soil and the plant will bubble. I keep the soil covered until the bubbling stops. Then I get the spray bottle out and give it a good shower. That helps to keep the leaves clean. A layer of dust on the leaves of your houseplants will block sunlight and reduce the plant�s ability to photosynthesize. Photosynthesis is how the plant feeds itself.
deep watering plants

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~

Moderated by  Sue - Houseplants 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.