Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Gecko
Gecko
F
I like to read Shakespeare before seeing a performance. I find it makes the language more reqadily understandable.

Without such pre-reading, it might easily take the entire prologue or more before I can pick up on the vernacular.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
hundreds of childrens and teenage books are literary classics LOL.

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
"Whatever you do, don't - fall - asleep!"
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
LOL, Steven, LOTR is my single favorite book ever, ever, ever. I have read it dozens and dozens of times. Every few years I read it again. It's magnificent, and gets deeper with every re-reading. smile

I could not get into Count of Monte Cristo, or The Scarlet Letter, which i found disappointing. Maybe if i tried harder? Skipped the first half of the books or something?

Last edited by Jilly; 08/10/11 06:03 PM.
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

I'm having a rough time getting involved with F. Scott Fitzgerald's Tender is the Night. Great Gatsby was no problem but Tender is moving a little slow.

Sandy Hemphill, Cocktails Editor
Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
A
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
A
I nominate "As I Lay Dying" by Faulkner. Thin little book that I tried to read because I thought I "should". and ugh! horrible.

I'm listening to Anna Karenina right now and enjoy it in that manner. It may be dull to read it, though.

I tried Brothers Karamazov and sometimes I was pulled into it, then bored out of it just as quickly - made it 1/3 of the way through that.

As for the twilight series... I'm a little grossed out by a 100 year old man hitting on a teenaged girl. My daughter, in her mid 20's, says it's everything you don't want to read... tons of teenaged angst ABOUT teenaged angst, and a girl who gives up everything she is for a boyfriend.... and an undead one at that... who is 100 years old... and has a thing for teenagers.

A
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
A
Grapes of Wrath...

AlissaMoy
BellaOnline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
I agree with you on the tomes, Debra, though not on Ethan Frome, which is on the short side, if not the sweet. Austen does write tomes, but I don't find her as ponderous as Melville or, say, Dostoyevsky.

Hemingway I still cite as one of my favorites, though I don't think I've actually read any novel other than The Old Man and the Sea. I do admire his short stories.

I didn't get past the first chapter of Tender is the Night either, Sandy. I figure, since Gatsby was his self-acknowledged masterpiece, once you've read it, everything else is obviously just practice or, in the case of Tender, all that remained of his talent.

Last edited by Lane LitFic; 08/26/11 11:06 AM.

Lane Graciano
Today in History
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Amy, I once tried to read Faulkner�s Sanctuary (didn�t make it to second chapter) and undeterred, on another occasion Intruder in the Dust (with the same result). I find him unreadable, but doesn't he have great titles!

I did � a long time ago � read The Brothers Karamazov and a several others of Dostoevsky�s works. I had studied philosophy and I liked the challenge of them. Don�t think I could do it again.

But Steinbeck, Alyssa. I�m a great fan of his. I�ve read The Grapes of Wrath more than once. But it�s not a cheerful read.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Jilly, yeah - I know lots of ppl that read 'Lord of the rings' every year - I just don't get it. Though I liked the cartoon and movies.

Amy, I completley agree with what you said about Twilight. I recently wrote an article about what a terrible role model Bella Swan is for young women and girls LOL.

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
"Whatever you do, don't - fall - asleep!"
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
If you want something really boring, try Rasselas by Samuel Johnson. I can't even remember what it's about and I only read it because Helen reads it in Jane Eyre. You'll probably find it listed on Project Gutenberg.

Also some of Louisa May Alcott (author of Little Women)'s other books are pretty hard going.

On another note has anyone read Anne Radcliffe? (Romance of the Forest, Mysteries of Udolpho and The Italian)

Last edited by Gillian - Classical Music; 08/13/11 01:47 PM.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.