Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
You can call me a bum any time ; )

I would love to be a beach bum at some point in my life. I actually googled it in my searches and found tons of articles for people who actually want to live that lifestyle.

I know a guy who's a workout beach bum. He travels to exotic places and makes money endorsing fitness products. I can't think of a better way to spend your life than doing what he does. Check out his amazing Amalfi Italy Circuit Workout to see what I mean.

Monica Neave ISSA Certified Fitness Therapist

Get Your Best Female Figure with the most overlooked workout strategy.

Burn more fat with Fatloss Workouts that work!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Must be nice! I remember when I was a teenager a Beach Bum meant living an exotic life.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
It was me who said it could be me on those streets. Monica, I have a mental illness that gets in the way of many 'normal life' things. If not for the constant support from my parents, I'd probably be living in The Slabs in my RV with no services and no money. As it is I am on Medicare and applying for food stamps.

So when i say it could be me, I am not just blowing smoke up someone's arse. I am not being oovy-groovy touchy-feely. This is real time life.

You and I are often diametrically opposed on many life issues. I am sure you have noticed that.

I have always believed that any one of us could be on the streets if not for help from others who cared. Sometimes, it is not a "choice" as to where we are in life. We may disagree on this point, but it is what I believe. For the same reasons Jilly states, I could very well be on the streets with nothing if not for others who cared and gave help when I needed it.

Some people are fortunate and have been able to fight for what they want in life and get what they need -- some of us have crashed to the bottom of the pit and could not have found our way up without someone there to help us. I know I never chose to hit bottom and I am sure Jilly has not either.

This is life. It happens.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
I'm with Linda-Islam editor and Phyllis on this one. I give freely as I have received from God. No questions, no strings, no judgments. So if the person chooses to buy alcohol with that money? At least he is given the opportunity to choose for himself if he will drink to dull his pain or to eat to nourish his body. Every moment is a chance for him to make a better choice.

If someone is obviously taking advantage of me? I forgive him and move on. We don't need more ill feelings in the world.

We all have made errors in judgment and have made poor choices. We just don't see them as clearly as we see those of others. And may I add that some things aren't always as they seem. On a spiritual level, some of these "bums" are serving a higher cause. How? By testing the compassion, tolerance and charity of people, for one.

Most of these people don't need our pity. They need our gratitude and understanding.

It is a false belief to think that our money is our money.

Amoeba
Amoeba
To me the word bum has a very negative connotation, as in someone screaming, "You are a bum, a lazy, no-good bum!"

To go back to the original question, it depends on my circumstances. I have heard that it is much better to provide food if you can, rather than cash. But that is not always convenient.

I would rather have occasionally lined the pocket of someone who didn't need the money, than occasionally have turned away someone who was truly desperate for help. So if in doubt and if I have the money, I'll give a few dollars.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Anne, your quote is exactly what i hear in my mind when i hear someone call another a bum.

If there is no word that has no charge for anyone, then we do have a problem with semantics. I never connoted vagrant with criminal, but i can see Monica, and others, where you might have that POV.

Lisa suggested Beggar as a term. ??

I think 'beggar' is appropriate.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Me too Phyllis, it describes what they are doing without being derogatory. It is was it is, begging, asking for help, for whatever reason.

A 'bum' in English slang means a bottom, a derriere, a backside. In which some people put implants to make them bigger. And some people wish they had smaller.

Last edited by Linda - Islam; 08/03/11 07:09 PM.

Linda Heywood

M
Shark
Shark
M
I also don't like the term "bum" but yes my husband and I always give something food, hand warmers money. I agree with the poster above that I'd rather risk giving a few dollars to someone that may not need it than leave someone to starve. I only wish i could do more. while vacationing last year I brought a young homeless man lunch from whole foods. He was so appreciative!

Last edited by misstalia; 08/03/11 07:16 PM.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.