Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hello Everyone - Surprise surprise!

The Executive Committee (that's me) has met and the Executive Committee (still me) has decided on a change for my site! Hope you go along with my decision to put these dates and this info on the Forum pages rather than as an article. They seemed so lonely there and am sure more people would get to the info here. That is what I am hoping anyway. Also here I will get the feedback I need to see whether or not it remains a viable topic.

So here goes for the transfer - hope you are having fun in your container garden with the help of the Moon, tell us if you are!

There were NEW MOONS (dark moon) on:
- July 1st 2011 and again on July 30th 2011

and then the dates are:

- August 29th 2011
- September 27th 2011
- October 26th 2011
- November 25th 2011
- December 24th 2011

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Here is the calendar for AUGUST 2011.

WAXING ways � 30th July NEW MOON starts off the August month for you
1 moisture from the soil and sap in the plants begins to rise.

M 1 Attend to soil; mow lawn to increase growth; trim plants to increase growth.
T 2 Attend to soil; mow lawn to increase growth; trim plants to increase growth.
W 3 Trim plants to increase growth; plant leaf plants sow grasses and grains; mow lawns to encourage growth.
Th4 Trim plants to increase growth; plant leaf plants sow grasses and grains; mow lawns to encourage growth.
F 5 Watering and fertilisers; composting, feeding and mulching; plant leafy plants.
S 6 Watering and fertilisers; composting feeding and mulching. FIRST QUARTER
S7 Watering and fertilisers; plant flowers and shrubs; plants fruits; plant vine vegetables
M 8 Plant chillies and hot veges; harvest; mow lawn to encourage growth; trim plants to increase growth
T 9 Plant chillies and hot veges; harvest; mow lawn to encourage growth; trim plants to increase growth
W 10 Plant flowers and shrubs; plant fruits; sow and plant vine vegetables
Th11 Plant flowers and shrubs; plant fruits; sow and plant vine vegetables
F 12 Harvest; mow lawns to encourage growth; trim plants to increase growth.
S 13 Harvest; mow lawns to encourage growth; trim plants
to increase growth. FULL MOON

WANING ways - 13th August FULL MOON
- Moisture from the soil and sap in the plants begins to fall.

S 14 Transplant and repot; water and fertilise; plant roots and bulbs
M 15 Transplant and repot; water and fertilise; plant roots and bulbs
T 16 Transplant and repot; water and fertilise; plant roots and bulbs
W 17 Mow lawns to discourage growth; harvest; trim plants to decrease growth.
Th18 Mow lawn to discourage growth; harvest; trim plants to decrease growth.
F 19 Mow lawn to discourage growth; harvest; trim plants to decrease growth; transplant and repot.
S 20 Transplant and repot; compost and mulch; plant root veges and bulbs
S 21 Transplant and repot; compost and mulch; LAST QUARTER
plant root and bulbs
M 22 Weeding, mow lawns to decrease growth, trim plants to decrease growth,
pest control
T 23 Weeding, mow lawns to decrease growth, trim plants to decrease growth,
pest control
W 24 Sow and Plant root crops and bulbs; transplant and repot; watering and fertilisers
Th25 Sow and plant root crops and bulbs, transplant and repot; watering and fertilisers
F 26 Attend to soil; weeding; pest control; watering and fertilisers.
S 27 Attend to soil; weeding; harvesting; pest control.
S 28 Attend to soil; weeding; harvesting; pest control.
M 29 Attend to soil; weeding; trim plants to INcrease growth; mow lawn to encourage growth NEW MOON
T 30 Soil preparation, mow lawn to INcrease growth; trim plants to encourage growth; weeding.
W31 Plant leaf plants (above ground producers); take cuttings for propagation.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Enjoy your gardening by the Moon, be flexible, nothing is absolute, just let it all work for you. First two weeks of every month is usually growth phase and IN-creasing times and the last two weeks are the �cut back� and DE-creasing times. Pace yourself in general if you find these above-suggested tasks too exacting and confusing.

Cheers now

Last edited by Lestie - ContainerGardens; 08/05/11 03:59 PM.

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Have just read your August Moon Gardening calendar Lestie, and for August 4th you mention amongst other things that it is a day to
Quote:
Th4 Trim plants to increase growth

Great timing, yesterday a horse got out from the neighbours field and demolished the new bamboo plant......it must have been very hungry......and according to the moon placing then this means he has done the plant a favour.

Well that's good news, and thank goodness also it was a plant with young leaves otherwise he would have ended up with a very sore 'tummy'.

Happy you have your calendar there, now we can look at the plant with different eyes, anticipating lots of new growth instead of just seeing an area of short stubs.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hello there Francine, Suzyanna and all,

Just made a joke about the excom meeting as I actually received some emails suggesting that I move it to the forum so that it was more readily accessed and read... and it does seem as if it is going to be useful here. Also, it will become dated and nice here too for those using it to refer to it again and again to check the progress of their gardening against what they 'should' have done at a certain time and on certain days to get the best results etc etc and so on.

Hate to say it in a way Francine but I am pleased that your bamboo needed trimming for this reason as you wouldn't have ordinarily trimmed it without the horse's help. Someone (welcome to the forum Suzyanna!) also wrote to ask what I meant when I suggested trimming back to INcrease growth saying "I had made a mistake as you can't cut back a plant and make it grow at the same time, I think moongardening is nonsense it does not make sense so I will not waste my time..."

Well, you see, and luckily so, this plant needed to be trimmed to increase its growth because of the horse; but a gardener wanting to encourage a plant, bush, shrub or tree etc to grow would usually trim during waxing days. C'mon Suzyanna, please don't dismiss Moon gardening too lightly or so quickly.

Try a couple of things at a time and call for explanations as needed. Could be that Francines's hungry horse will prove the calendar more useful than not!

I guess to learn the lesson, the horse will have to eat and older plant Francine? Either that or go visit Dr Doolittle for a script written in horse. Did you like that song in that movie? I loved it, Rex Harrison was just right for the part and the song and all and all.

Cheers now!

Last edited by Lestie - ContainerGardens; 08/05/11 04:17 PM.

Container Gardening Site

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Hi Lestie, must admit the horse did not only do himself, me, and the bamboo a big favour, he timed it perfectly.

Like most people who enjoy �gardening� and the fun that it brings when things grow, blossom and produce, am a big fan of pruning back the growth to encourage new shoots. Normally after the first flowering etc., and then again at the end of the season and/or spring.

Nevertheless had not thought of chopping back the bamboo, so there you go, thank you horse. His name is Cannon by the way, and it is appropriate, he is huge.

And Rex Harrison�s Dr. Dolittle is permanently engraved in my brain I think. Did not see it when it came out originally, but watched it on video XYZ times with both of my sons at different times.

Like Animals was the family favourite, and perhaps could explain why neither eat much in the way of meat despite the temptations of having lived in Germany with all its �meaty� specialties. And also why our home was nearly always filled with little, and not so little, creatures of one type or another.

Last edited by Francine - German Culture; 08/06/11 09:08 AM.

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi Francine and all,

Thank you for this clip, sooo enjoyed listening to it again, feel like a big kid with a grin!

Thanks Cannon for being a horse on the chomp too, though am not sure that you are too pleased Francine. Still, there we go, plants are obliging and fantastical as they will grow again mostly in exchange for some love and care and compost and chatter.

Good luck Missy Bamboo.

Container Gardening Site

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Well think we have the �watering� on the August Moon Calendar�s plan for 5th, 6th and 7th worked out here Lestie���.it has not stopped raining since Friday and it is expected to last until Tuesday.

If nature is going to keep helping me out like this, first horses and then rain, I can sit and eat ice cream all day instead.

Did not actually know one could prune a bamboo. As it is the first I�ve planted thought it just sort of died down, and then came back in the spring. Ooops. Now I know better, so a lesson learnt thanks to you and to Cannon, who has now had a 'picnic' from the apple tree.

Obviously just saving me from having to pick any apples, I wonder what will be next.

L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
Hello Everyone - well! It's two and a half years later ... How is Cannon Francine? And Missy Bamboo? Are they still in this land of the living? I hope so.

Anyway, I wondered if anyone wanted me to post the MOON GARDENING CALENDAR for March 2014? And Suzyanna, I haven't heard from you forever - are you still lurking? Did you ever try Moon Gardening?

Tell us your tales of success and so on people, thnks.

Thinking on the hoof as they say - I will just go ahead and post the monthly calendar regardless ... maybe there are gardeners out there who will use it regardless. Cheers now ...

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!

Moderated by  Lestie - ContainerGardens 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.