BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Hi Anna,

I really enjoyed your article:
Monastic Life

As a youngster, I too, thought about being a nun, but my desire for having kids won out!

Susan

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Anna, I, too, enjoyed your article. The quiet life of a monastery and the rigid schedules would have been good for me - given me a bit more organization and peace of mind.

"It�s filled with silence" is what attracted me to the life of a nun when I was younger, but I never went in that direction. The thought of living quietly and safely behind walls and retiring every night to a private and simple cell was what I thought would be good for the soul and the mind, and I know for many it is.

There are times now in my life when I wish I had followed that path.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Phyllis, is it too late?!

If I was left a widow at this stage of my life I would choose quiet and service over another marriage. But that may be 64 talking.

I do not know, Susan. The thought has never been far from me -- and there are issues in my life that may be resolved if I retreated from society as I know it. It would be a drastic and major life change, yet not unwelcome if possible and accepted by God.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Loved your article Anna, and am sure I am one of many who, for about three weeks anyway, in early teenage thought becoming 'a Nun' would be something of an option.

It is a life that offers a great deal in many ways, and one of the most popular programmes on German television is Um Himmels Willen, �For Heavens Sake�, which is about �life� in a convent.

Well of course their lives are probably far more exciting than for nuns in an average convent, if such a thing as an �average� convent exists, but nevertheless the fact that it is so incredibly popular speaks for itself.

Somehow the peace that the nuns feel, within themselves as well as in relation to the outside world, seems to strike a chord in many people����especially perhaps as every week they are up against �the real world�.

After an operation three years ago I had to spend some weeks re-learning walking, showering, how to get into a car etc., and during our shared mealtimes there was one group that had us all in fits of laughter the whole time. Some of the things they came out with could not be repeated here, but hilarious they certainly were.

It was not until they all checked out on the same day that we realised their calling, instead of �training outfits�, they were wearing nun�s habit and were on their way back to their order.

It is another way of life but as satisfying as any other, in many ways perhaps even more so.

Last edited by Francine - German Culture; 07/24/11 11:37 AM.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

A
Gecko
Gecko
A
Thanks to all for your kind words about the Monastic Life article. It truly is living on a simpler scale, closer to the Divine.
I have the feeling, however, that taking the vows of a nun/monk in this day and age is something that is on the verge of extinction, an animal on the endangered list.....
In fact, I've met 2 ex-nuns who took their vows after finishing high school but left after spending 20+ years in the monastery. One married.
Interesting!
The German show Francine mentioned, "For Heaven's Sake" sounds fascinating and I'd love to see it!
Peace out, sisters and brothers!

Anna - AHHA
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
There are many nunneries and monasteries that allow lay people to visit for a weekend or even longer - people should look into it!

There are also retreats like Kripalu in the Berkshires which offer a quiet, serene experience with healthy food. So that's another option.

My aunt recently did a 30 day period of silence. She enjoyed it immensely. So you could create a retreat in your own home!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
A
Gecko
Gecko
A
Wow! 30 days of silence -- that is an accomplishment!

"Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer" -- The Dalai Lama.

Anna - AHHA

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.