Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Greetings!

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out and cut down on the amount of experimental baking I'm going to need to do! I'm looking for a good Guinness cake recipe -- something moist and rich. After looking around for wedding cakes and being absolutely floored by the cost (hundreds of dollars? really?) we've decided to make our own cake and cupcake tower. (It's an extremely non-traditional wedding anyway, so what the heck!) The amount of recipes out there is also amazing, so I thought maybe someone here could make some recommendations! We're also thinking of some kind of Bailey's-based frosting, so any help with recipes there would also be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Debra Kelly
BellaOnline:Dogs

"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's."
- Mark Twain, Letter to W D Howells, 4/2/1899
Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
Deb, congratulations! We found a woman who baked out of her home to make a gorgeous cake. What you want to do sounds lovely, too.

Here is a site that has Guinness recipes. There are several cakes amongst them.

Guinness Recipes

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

I've got a HUGE collection of recipes - was in the food biz for ages. When I was catering, I had calls for Guinness cakes so I know I've got a recipe or two that's tried and true and probably has measurements expanded to feed a crowd. Give me a day or two to look up my recipes and I'll forward them to you. The beer adds moisture but the carbonation in it works like a leavening agent, similar to baking soda or baking powder. The Baileys frosting idea sounds perfect! Cupcakes are very trendy right now, too, so that's a great idea!

Wedding cakes can be costly - all that decoration takes time and talent and the delivery / assembly process can be very tricky, too. That's part of the reason for the expense. I think another part is that vendors think people will spend anything on a wedding (and many people do!) but charging tons of money just because you can doesn't seem to me like such a nice thing to do.

As a pastry chef for a caterer, I always refused wedding cake orders! Much too much emotion involved. I always said I didn't want the guilt if I got the frosting the wrong shade of pink (for example) and ruined the bride's whole day - or her mother's! I saw one bride get all bent out of shape because her calla lilies had a tiny brown band on the edges of the petals. She didn't know all calla lilies have a tiny brown band on the edges of the petals.

I think you're smart to do it yourself. As a caterer, I planned lots of weddings and I always encouraged the bride and groom to save money anywhere possible, especially if doing the baking yourself isn't too daunting. I've got a few tricks up my sleeve, if you're interested.

When's the wedding?

Sandy Hemphill, Cocktails Editor
Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Debra,

One of my favorite cakes is Kahlua Chocolate Cake. There are many variations to this recipe.

I am not a big fan of cakes, so if I do eat cake it has to be very moist and very flavorful. Kahlua Chocolate cake fills that requirement for me.

Congratulations and best wishes for the upcoming wedding a wonderful life together.

Last edited by Phyllis-Folk/Myth; 07/30/11 02:04 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Thanks for all the good wishes laugh Ooo... the Kahlua cake sounds like it needs to be made in my kitchen right now, lol. We're the same way - neither of us are big cake people, so it has to be moist and just melt-in-your-mouth!

Definitely interested in all the tricks you know, Sandy! Even though we're going non-traditional, it's still amazing how much things cost and how fast it adds up -- I'm sure a lot of that is the 'it's a wedding, they'll pay for it' mentality. We were sitting on the couch last night looking at local places for cake and getting severe sticker shock when we decided what the heck, do it ourselves!

I really like the cupcake thing, as it's going to be so much easier for people to just grab one on the way past the table. Less mess and hopefully fewer leftovers!

I can't imagine dealing with some brides... I don't blame you for refusing those orders. I've gotten hooked on Bridezillas, and some of these people are just amazing. There was one episode where each bridesmaid had a target weight and was subjected to a weigh-in every week to make sure she was on track... I can't imagine if these women got a cake with the wrong shade of frosting or the wrong number of roses! One thing that always amazed me was how a lot of weddings are more about the bride than about the couple... so I knew ours had to be about both of us.

It's coming up quick -- 9/10/11!!

Debra Kelly

9/10/11? Wow! That is not too far off, Debra.

For the cake: how about the cupcakes idea then bake one small cake for the top with the Bride and Groom statue on it? The top can be taken home and frozen to enjoy on your one month anniversary.

That Kahlua cake is awesome! I have a recipe somewhere to make it from scratch - do you want me to see if I can find it? My recipe box is so old and falling apart because it is packed tight with recipes.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

After working with brides for a while, I just can't muster up the courage to watch Bridezillas but I'm truly shocked about the weigh-in thing. That's just crazy beyond belief.

When my couples would get nervous about details of the wedding reception, I'd remind them that the wedding ceremony and the reception are wonderful public expressions of two lives coming together for the purpose of love. That the wedding IS a big deal and it IS expensive, no matter what you do, but the REAL reason for the wedding comes later - it's really all about the marriage! Don't let the details of the wedding mar the reality that it's the marriage that matters.

Haven't got recipes ready for you yet (I work on my computer so I try to avoid it on Sundays but I broke my own rule today - oops) but when I do get them to you, bake a 'trial run' cake right away. That way, you'll get the feel for the batter, the cook time, your oven's performance on a cake of whatever size pan you're using, etc. Never experiment for the actual presentation; that almost guarantees a headache.

Also, when you're comfortable with your cake, make the cake and the cupcakes for the wedding as far ahead of time as you can and freeze it all. You'll have plenty of other last-minute details to occupy your time and energies so do as much as you can ahead of time.

For really moist cakes and cupcakes of all kinds, take them out of the oven and let them cool just a bit, so you can handle them without burning yourself. You'll want the cake layers cool enough so that you can handle them without breaking them, too. Then, while they are still warm, wrap each cake layer and each cupcake individually in plastic wrap. The plastic will trap moisture in the cake that would evaporate if you let it cool completely before wrapping it.

Once cooled completely, wrap each piece in foil, label it so it doesn't get overlooked, forgotten, or abused in the meantime, and freeze it all till the day before the wedding, when all you'll need to do is thaw, assemble, and decorate.

I keep masking tape and a Sharpie pen in my kitchen for labeling foods. Apply the tape to a DRY surface and it won't peel off when the packaging (plastic wrap or containers, foil, whatever) gets wet and the Sharpie ink dries instantly and won't run when it gets wet. Anything that goes into the refrigerator or freezer gets wet so these are two of my favorite kitchen tools. I've seen lots of ugliness in commercial kitchens when somebody's masking tape or Sharpie goes missing; the pros have no sense of humor about these particular tools.

Now, back to the cake - If you wrap the cake too hot (full of wet steam), ice crystals will form inside the cake and will make the cake soggy when you thaw it. It's kind of a Goldilocks thing - wrap too hot and it get soggy, wrap too cool and it's dryer than it needs to be, wrap when it's just right and you'll have a very moist, yummy cake, baby bear smile

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S
Here's a way to save a little money on wedding flowers. If you do the flowers yourself, that's a great way to save. If you hire a florist, ask them to do this for you.

You'll be working with a mass of flowers so pick out the very best ones for the bride's bouquet, which is the floral focal point for the wedding (of course!). Make bridesmaids' bouquets and the men's boutonnieres out of the next prettiest batch. No brainer, right?

Even the prettiest flower, though, will probably have some petals around the outside that aren't perfect - a little wrinkle or wilt, a tear, a brown spot, etc. Gently pick these 'reject' petals off of all the flowers but don't throw them away. Collect them in a baggie, basket, whatever, and use them to strew along the buffet table, the bar, along the aisle, guest registry table, wherever you want a touch of flower power that isn't physically a part of the wedding party.

You may want to buy extra flowers to pull petals from to supplement these loose petals you've collected (depending on how floral an overall look you're going for) but you'll be able to buy fewer of them if you save the discarded petals. On the buffet table, everybody will be looking at the food anyway; same at the bar, aisle, guest register, etc. These flowers and/or loose petals don't have to be the beauty queens. Reserve the beauties for the bouquets that will be in the wedding photos.

Fern fronds, grape leaves and vines, holly, pine boughs, things like that add a nice touch to buffet tables, etc., too. Place these big green things flat on the table and strew loose flowers and petals on top of them for the most dramatic contrast and biggest effect. Greenery is much cheaper than flowers.

Want floral bouquets at the wedding reception, say the registry table, buffet, bar, etc.? Recycle the bridesmaids' bouquets. Put empty vases with a little water in them wherever you want a bouquet and, after the wedding, just put the bridesmaids' bouquets in the vases. The bridesmaids will love having their hands free during the party and their bouquets will be kept safe and pretty so they can take them home afterward.

If you use flower arrangements in the chapel or wherever the wedding ceremony is held, make them do double duty, too. Flowers on chairs or pew ends? At the altar? Entrance? Use them at the reception so you don't have to buy extra flower arrangements for that purpose.

On the tables where people will be eating, keep the flower arrangements short enough so that person A can look across the table to talk to person B without twisting, turning, or straining to make eye contact. Save tall flower arrangements where they'll be the focal point or provide a dramatic back-drop.

Votive candles? Put about half a teaspoon full of water in the bottom of the candle holder before placing the candle inside. This very small buffer of water will prevent the wax from sticking to the container so they'll be quick and easy to clean later. It'll cool the hot wax, too, which minimizes the risk of fire.

Don't add water to candelabra holding tapers. You'll want the hot wax to anchor the taper safely in place.

BTW - L-O-V-E that wedding date!!

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S
Also, I love Phylis's suggestion of saving the top layer for later. If you do this, put it in the freezer without wrapping it. Let it freeze good and hard before wrapping it so the frosting and decorations don't get damaged by the plastic wrap.

I've heard of some newlyweds saving this layer for their first anniversary and some save it for the birth of their first child. You'll know how you'll enjoy it the best!

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Thank you SO much for all these tips!!! We were definitely planning on baking ahead and freezing, but were worried about the cake drying out... that's perfect. I think I'll experiment on how to do that, too, to make sure I can get the timing of freezing everything right -- though it's an open bar all night, so people might not even really taste the cake =) Love the idea of saving the top layer, too -- that would be perfect for an anniversary. There's definitely (I hope!) no kids in the future, so that's right out! The only new arrivals will be of the furry, four-legged sort, lol. (One of which happened last night, with details to be posted in the Dogs forum =)

I really wanted to do the flowers ourselves, but a friend of ours is a florist, so we went with her for the flowers... we were still working on ideas for the table, and I love the greenery idea... it's perfect for the Irish/English theme. And you have no idea how excited I am about the water in the votive holder idea! We have a ton we were going to put around the various tables, and I love using them at home but hate cleaning them up. That is ideal! We actually picked up some green glass Moroccan lanterns on eBay that we're going to use as part of the centerpieces, and they would look awesome surrounded by some greenery.

Phyllis, I'd definitely be interested in the Kahlua cake recipe as well -- we're having the rehearsal dinner at our house, so we're going to be making dinner for the 12 in the wedding party -- much a 'smoke some meat, read through the ceremony and hang-out-around-the-firepit' sort of rehearsal dinner smile That would be an ideal dessert! I'm dying to try these... our attempt at dieting before the wedding went right out the door, so I don't even have to feel guilty!!

Debra Kelly

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Karen - Desserts 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.