Next Thread
Print Thread
#702965 07/21/11 02:09 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Generally geraniums are annual in Massachusetts but I took my pot into the kitchen for the winter and they're actually coming back for a second year! Hurrah!

Does anyone else enjoy geraniums?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Lisa LowCarb #702981 07/21/11 04:24 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
I always have geraniums in the summer. I was always told (and tried it once) that if you put your geraniums in a paper bag and put them in the garage for the winter, you can plant them again in the spring. I did. It worked.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hello Lisa Lynne and all,

Geraniums and Pelargoniums have to be some of anyone's favourites they are so nice to have especially the creeping ones for hanging baskets and the scented ones for any fragrant garden. I have as many as I can all over the place (less should be more but it's not with me I am afraid) and there are two edible things I do all the time.

One is to have scented sugars in my kitchen which I use for black teas, herb teas and other infusions (not milky teas). Put about three leaves at the bottom of your sugar caddy and cover with sugar (anykind of sugar you have or use in the kitchen), then more fresh leaves halfway up then some on top and just close the jar. The flavour infuses and gives your drinkables an indefinable something that is really nice.

Second thing I do is use any of the varieties of flavours you get, but choose one, line the bottom of a prepared cake tin with clean fresh leaves only, no stalks, and then add cake mixture. When the cake is baked and cooled just peel off the leaves and dust cake with same-scented sifted icing sugar. Use for Madeira style and Victoria sponge cakes etc. Delish I say!

Easy peasy to grow and oh so rewarding. What lovely pics Lisa, thanks.

Cheers now

Last edited by Lestie - ContainerGardens; 07/21/11 06:45 PM.

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
Those are intriguing recipes Lestie. I want to try them. smile

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I don't have enough to eat, but I am very happy that they are blooming again smile

Low Carb Forum
Lisa LowCarb #705276 08/03/11 02:36 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi Lisa,

You could use on or two of those leaves to flavour a cake if you are into baking! Otherwise, no matter, they grow well there so maybe more next year? The creeping ones are also nice, need less watering, take direct sun, got smaller slightly fleshy leaves and pretty pretty flowers.

Cheers
Lestie

Container Gardening Site

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
Lisa LowCarb #794258 11/26/12 08:42 PM
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
That same geranium plant did great in summer 2012 -

It's in my window now, and it's looking strong, so hopefully it'll last right through to 2013 too!

I'm so pleased I figured out how to get this plant to last the winter. I enjoy its flowers each summer.

Low Carb Forum
Lisa LowCarb #794518 11/28/12 06:33 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hello Lisa and Everyone,

I love geraniums for many reasons and they are indeed a lovely plant and so giving of a lot of pleasure.

I see that your plant is looking healthy Lisa, but it is becoming 'leggy' as they say so after this flowering, I would suggest that you prune it back to two thirds if not halfway down. Cut above one of the many buds I see there, leave your cuttings to dry for a day then put those cuttings as little sticks into new pots of healthy composted potting soil (not soil from the garden) and see what you will see ... a whole new 'crop'.

Keep them moist and in dappled shade for the first two months or so then into morning sun only then into full sun where you have the others.

If you do not have space, you can give the cuttings away of course or not plant them (compost heap?) but your plants should be pruned for the new season or they will continue to become straggly and not produce such nice flowers and so on.

Repot the 'old' one after you've pruned after a month. DO NOT brush the soil off the roots, disturb them as little as possible and put them back (into a slightly bigger pot if possible) and the new soil with a spoon or two of bonemeal added to the composty potting soil. Keep moist for the first while then go back to your normal watering and feeding regimen.

Cheers

Container Gardening Site

Lisa LowCarb #794520 11/28/12 06:43 PM
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Dear Lestie -

The photo on the bottom is the one I just took a day or two ago. I'm not sure I see where you want me to cut it? The pot it's in is already fairly large - about the size of two desktop computers side by side I'd guess - so I don't think we want to go any larger. We wouldn't be able to move the pot in and out in the spring and fall.

Low Carb Forum
Lisa LowCarb #794526 11/28/12 07:10 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi Lisa,

Don't worry about the buds and in fact you do not have to cut them back, but they will continue to grow and become straggly if you do not. That is also okay but then they will not generally grow leaves on the lower 'branches'.

Just cut them back halfway and if you do not want to repot for practical reasons, no fuss - just dig out the soil you can and renew/replace it by adding composty potting soil into which you have mixed some bone meal. Then keep moist and etc.

You will not lose your beautiful plant and it should reward you again and again and again. The worst that MAY (only may) happen is that you will not get flowers for a season, though the plant will thrive, be bushy and be fragrant etc.

Cheers now

Container Gardening Site

Moderated by  Lestie - ContainerGardens 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.