I'm really scared of having Diabetes

Rosie L
Sponsored Post Advertisement
"Rosie" #702645 07/19/11 04:32 PM
F
Gecko
Gecko
F
Blood Sugar rises and falls over the course of daily activity.

Normally lowest in morning after a night's rest. 141 first thing in am is a bit high.

I see you posted somewhere around 3:00-3:30pm. After lunch I take it? In that circumstance 141 is acceptable.

Check your levels morning, noon, after dinner aND BEFORE BED FOR SEVERAL DAYS. RECORD ALL READINGS . (Whoops bumped key). Go and see your doctor and show readings and ask for explanation/advice.

Don't get your medical advice from the internet.

FrankJBN #702648 07/19/11 04:41 PM
"Rosie" Offline OP
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
Thank you Frank

Rosie L
"Rosie" #702686 07/19/11 10:58 PM
G
Zebra
Zebra
G
Hey Rosie, the answer to your question is 'it depends'. A normal before-you-eat or 2 hours after-you've-eaten reading is 90 to 110. But a reading of 140 isn't WAY OUT OF LINE for those time - certainly nothing to be scared of. And is an acceptable reading at other times. I was having readings over 200 before we took the next step.

I have the opposite situation of Frank. My morning readings are my highest of the day and they're generally 136-154. (And as you know I've been on meds for about 8 years.) There are 2 reasons for morning highs - Dawn Phenomenon and Somogryri Effect - you'll see why when you research them.

I'm guessing your doctor has you taking regular readings now, so just keep a record and he/she or your Diabetes Educator will understand the whys and hows. They'll be able to help you work through it. Don't be afraid of it, just learn to live with it.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
GrannyH #702688 07/19/11 11:31 PM
G
Zebra
Zebra
G
I just re-read your original post and realized I didn't answer one of your questions. And it's the one that does scare me.

Your low reading will also 'depend'. It's all in relationship to your high reading. I don't know if there's a set number but I start feeling it in the 70's and have problems in the 60's. I think you might begin to feel symptoms when you are getting about 30 points below your average reading. You can recognize the symptoms and there is one easy solution - eat or drink a carb that will enter your blood quickly.

When you have a low you'll feel as if you've run out of fuel - you'll be fatigued (light-headed and tired), maybe gets the shakes, and when the cold-sweats start that's when I get scared. I've had one low that send me to the ER for a few hours of inter-venous treatment.

You just learn to live with it. wink

GrannyH #702700 07/20/11 04:12 AM
"Rosie" Offline OP
OP Offline
Sonia thanks a bunch or the info
This is all so new to me
This morning when i woke up it was 114
I am over whelmed with numbers
So much to learn
I welcome all the info you can give to me
How long do you wait before or after meals to test
Is there a right time or a wrong time to test
thanks agin

Rosie L
"Rosie" #702735 07/20/11 10:52 AM
L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
Our local hospital has "diabetes training" courses and then holds monthly topics on related issues.

Do you have someone who is guiding through nutrition, use of the glucose monitor, and how you should be caring for yourself?

It is important to know what you are doing in order to ensure that you are giving yourself proper care.

I write this only because my sis in law and nephew have diabetes, I have pre-diabetes after gestational diabetes.... and diligent care is important!

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
Lisa - Moms #702777 07/20/11 11:48 AM
"Rosie" Offline OP
OP Offline
Lisa, I have none of that
I haven't been told by a Dr. yet that i have diabetes
I was told that i'm borderline
I asked my Dr. for a prescription for a meter and strips
Because I am scared to death of being a diabetic
So i need to test my sugar
Now i'm testing but i don't know what for frown

Rosie L
"Rosie" #702796 07/20/11 12:45 PM
G
Zebra
Zebra
G
Rosie, what you are testing for may be the easiest question to answer. You're testing to find a pattern. Keep records.

In the simplest terms, diabetes is when your body can not process the glucose (you should use this word instead of sugar) found in most of the foods you eat. You use your meter to track how your body is doing. You need to keep track of when you test and what your results are. You will want to know what your reading is: 1) first thing in the morning 2) just before a meal and 3) 2 hours after a meal. {Some educators will say 1 1/2 hours after a meal. You decide when, then stick with it.} At first I think I took 3 or 4 readings of each kind each week.

The first reading of the day is for the reasons we discussed earlier.

The readings before and after meals is so that you can see how your body responds to the foods you like/eat. You'll soon find out which and how much you can process. An example is that I love mac and cheese. I soon learned that I was eating more than twice what I could process. Now I eat a lessor amount less often. Also for me whenever a meal contains rice, the vegetable will be carrots or green beans.

The before-reading is taken just a few minutes before you eat, and be sure you wash your hands. You could have glucose on your hands from the food preparation. Eat your meal at one sitting, then take the after-reading 2 hours from the time you started to eat. The reading should be what the reading was before the meal. If it's higher you will definitely need to cut the serving size.

So, the meter readings are so that you take control of your food intake. At some time your doctor will do regular A1c's. This is a test when he finds out how your control is. He'll also want to see your records to help him determine the patterns.

Hope this is helping!

GrannyH #702808 07/20/11 02:03 PM
"Rosie" Offline OP
OP Offline
Sonia, thanks for the info
I really appreciate it
I think it was 141 after i ate 4 Ring Dings smile lol
Will test before a meal wink
You have been really helpful
How's your summer going

Rosie L
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  C. Kimura 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.