Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
Badnezzahmi, vincischool, christylynn81, minas, puumando
57215 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57215 Members
417 Forums
113013 Topics
801147 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Rosie 66 855
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 470
Beetlemess 305
Nancy Roussy 151
Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 109
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 91
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 75
Sandra Investing/HFinance 45
Susan - Meditation Editor 44
Mona - Astronomy 41
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#701938 - 07/15/11 07:28 PM The Perseids 2013 are coming!
Mona - Astronomy Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Loc: United Kingdom
Note: The 2014 Perseids are over now. I've merged this thread from an earlier year with the current one because there are some interesting posts in it. Watch out for the 2015 Perseids in August!

Some of you saw the Perseids last year. They're back soon. Predictions for the peak are always uncertain, but are expected to peak between August 11-14. But it's worth looking on the days near this date too. Between midnight and the hours before dawn give the best viewing.

If you want to know more about meteor showers, here is my article Meteor Showers - The Perseids

Edited by Mona - Astronomy (08/31/14 03:25 PM)

http://www.bellaonline.com/newsletter/astronomy

Add The Perseids 2013 are coming! to Twitter Add The Perseids 2013 are coming! to Facebook Add The Perseids 2013 are coming! to MySpace Add The Perseids 2013 are coming! to Del.icio.us Digg The Perseids 2013 are coming! Add The Perseids 2013 are coming! to Yahoo My Web Add The Perseids 2013 are coming! to Google Bookmarks Add The Perseids 2013 are coming! to Stumbleupon Add The Perseids 2013 are coming! to Reddit
#706153 - 08/08/11 08:03 PM Re: The Perseids 2013 are coming! [Re: Mona - Astronomy]
Mona - Astronomy Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Meteorwatch 2012 made a video like a trailer for an adventure film for the Geminids 2012. (The Geminids are another popular meteor shower - they're in December.) It's very well done and quite imaginative. Have a look.

Meteor shower trailer

Edited by Mona - Astronomy (08/04/13 10:08 AM)

Add Re: The Perseids 2013 are coming! to Twitter Add Re: The Perseids 2013 are coming! to Facebook Add Re: The Perseids 2013 are coming! to MySpace Add Re: The Perseids 2013 are coming! to Del.icio.us Digg Re: The Perseids 2013 are coming! Add Re: The Perseids 2013 are coming! to Yahoo My Web Add Re: The Perseids 2013 are coming! to Google Bookmarks Add Re: The Perseids 2013 are coming! to Stumbleupon Add Re: The Perseids 2013 are coming! to Reddit
#706168 - 08/08/11 09:25 PM Re: The Perseids 2011: Coming to a sky near you! [Re: Mona - Astronomy]
Diana-Exotic Pets Editor Offline
Koala

Loc: Huron, South Dakota
The Perseids can have some exceptional years. Last year we traveled for them, maybe saw two. Some years we have seen hundreds in an hour's time. I've got to see them during two different peaks, (over a 35-year span) one was in the dark moonless skies of Kansas in the early morning hours. It was beautiful! The Leonid meteor shower in November can also be pretty spectacular.

Exotic Pets

Birds

Add Re: The Perseids 2011: Coming to a sky near you! to Twitter Add Re: The Perseids 2011: Coming to a sky near you! to Facebook Add Re: The Perseids 2011: Coming to a sky near you! to MySpace Add Re: The Perseids 2011: Coming to a sky near you! to Del.icio.us Digg Re: The Perseids 2011: Coming to a sky near you! Add Re: The Perseids 2011: Coming to a sky near you! to Yahoo My Web Add Re: The Perseids 2011: Coming to a sky near you! to Google Bookmarks Add Re: The Perseids 2011: Coming to a sky near you! to Stumbleupon Add Re: The Perseids 2011: Coming to a sky near you! to Reddit
#706170 - 08/08/11 09:53 PM Re: The Perseids 2011: Coming to a sky near you! [Re: Mona - Astronomy]
Francine - German Culture Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Loc: Germany/France

Mona, Thanks so much for pointing us in the direction of this video, it is just great.

Had already read your article and planned to keep my eyes open, and telescope at hand, but seeing the whole thing illustrated in this way makes it even more one of those 'can't miss' opportunities.

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRUECKE Cologne, the CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. Photo "Der Wolf im Wald" with Plantu's "European Dove of Peace 2012". Western Europe has enjoyed the longest period of peace in its history, and in 2012 the EU won the Nobel Prize for Peace.

Add Re: The Perseids 2011: Coming to a sky near you! to Twitter Add Re: The Perseids 2011: Coming to a sky near you! to Facebook Add Re: The Perseids 2011: Coming to a sky near you! to MySpace Add Re: The Perseids 2011: Coming to a sky near you! to Del.icio.us Digg Re: The Perseids 2011: Coming to a sky near you! Add Re: The Perseids 2011: Coming to a sky near you! to Yahoo My Web Add Re: The Perseids 2011: Coming to a sky near you! to Google Bookmarks Add Re: The Perseids 2011: Coming to a sky near you! to Stumbleupon Add Re: The Perseids 2011: Coming to a sky near you! to Reddit
#775409 - 07/28/12 11:08 PM Re: The Perseids 2013 are coming! [Re: Mona - Astronomy]
Mona - Astronomy Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

It's nearly time for (usually) one of the year's best meteor showers and you don't have to freeze to watch it. I've removed outdated information from earlier years and will be adding information and links as the time gets nearer.

Edited by Mona - Astronomy (08/04/13 10:09 AM)

Add Re: The Perseids 2013 are coming! to Twitter Add Re: The Perseids 2013 are coming! to Facebook Add Re: The Perseids 2013 are coming! to MySpace Add Re: The Perseids 2013 are coming! to Del.icio.us Digg Re: The Perseids 2013 are coming! Add Re: The Perseids 2013 are coming! to Yahoo My Web Add Re: The Perseids 2013 are coming! to Google Bookmarks Add Re: The Perseids 2013 are coming! to Stumbleupon Add Re: The Perseids 2013 are coming! to Reddit
#832384 - 08/04/13 10:29 AM First Perseid fireballs are already arriving [Re: Mona - Astronomy]
Mona - Astronomy Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

The first Perseid fireball arrived a few days ago. Here is an early Perseid seen in the Czech Republic last night.

Add First  Perseid fireballs are already arriving to Twitter Add First  Perseid fireballs are already arriving to Facebook Add First  Perseid fireballs are already arriving to MySpace Add First  Perseid fireballs are already arriving to Del.icio.us Digg First  Perseid fireballs are already arriving Add First  Perseid fireballs are already arriving to Yahoo My Web Add First  Perseid fireballs are already arriving to Google Bookmarks Add First  Perseid fireballs are already arriving to Stumbleupon Add First  Perseid fireballs are already arriving to Reddit
#832385 - 08/04/13 11:12 AM Re: First Perseid fireballs are already arriving [Re: Mona - Astronomy]
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee

Loc: Kansas USA
Years ago, I saw the Perseids sitting on a lawn chair in a Kansas field. They were amazing.
Avatar: There is Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

Here is a link to my EBook.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

Add Re: First  Perseid fireballs are already arriving to Twitter Add Re: First  Perseid fireballs are already arriving to Facebook Add Re: First  Perseid fireballs are already arriving to MySpace Add Re: First  Perseid fireballs are already arriving to Del.icio.us Digg Re: First  Perseid fireballs are already arriving Add Re: First  Perseid fireballs are already arriving to Yahoo My Web Add Re: First  Perseid fireballs are already arriving to Google Bookmarks Add Re: First  Perseid fireballs are already arriving to Stumbleupon Add Re: First  Perseid fireballs are already arriving to Reddit
#832927 - 08/08/13 04:47 AM Re: First Perseid fireballs are already arriving [Re: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches]
Mona - Astronomy Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

NASA reports that the Perseids have the most fireballs of any meteor shower. Fireballs are very bright meteors, which should make the Perseids a particularly good show.

Meteors? Meteorites? Fireballs? The terminology explained: Meteor or Meteorite & Other Posers

Add Re: First  Perseid fireballs are already arriving to Twitter Add Re: First  Perseid fireballs are already arriving to Facebook Add Re: First  Perseid fireballs are already arriving to MySpace Add Re: First  Perseid fireballs are already arriving to Del.icio.us Digg Re: First  Perseid fireballs are already arriving Add Re: First  Perseid fireballs are already arriving to Yahoo My Web Add Re: First  Perseid fireballs are already arriving to Google Bookmarks Add Re: First  Perseid fireballs are already arriving to Stumbleupon Add Re: First  Perseid fireballs are already arriving to Reddit
#833353 - 08/11/13 03:27 AM Re: First Perseid fireballs are already arriving [Re: Mona - Astronomy]
Mona - Astronomy Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

If your sky is covered in clouds - like mine is every year for the Perseids! - you can hear the meteors on Space Weather Radio. (It's not as much fun as seeing them, of course.) It monitors signals from USAF Space Surveillance Radar and each one makes a distinctive echo-y ping.

Space Weather Radio

#833364 - 08/11/13 09:10 AM Re: First Perseid fireballs are already arriving [Re: Mona - Astronomy]
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee

Loc: Kansas USA
Thanks Mona! I learned something new today.
Avatar: There is Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

Here is a link to my EBook.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Mona - Astronomy 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
7 Chaos Taming Strategies for ADD
by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
Attention Deficit Disorder
38 minutes 36 seconds ago
Fall Family Fun with Sandwiches
Sandwiches
51 minutes 31 seconds ago
Wedding Ring Bedspread
by Melissa - Crochet Editor
Crochet
Today at 07:49 AM
Generation Y - Adult Learning
by Patricia - DL
Distance Learning
Today at 07:39 AM
Where did Mars water go? MAVEN may find out!
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Today at 06:44 AM
Word From Last Letter Game
by Rosie 66
Contests & Sweepstakes
Today at 05:09 AM
The Equinox is on September 23
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Today at 03:23 AM
More Makeup Mistakes
by Kimberly - Cosmetics
Cosmetics
Today at 01:43 AM
The Gifts of ADD
Attention Deficit Disorder
Yesterday at 10:21 PM
The New Martians - book review *new*
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Yesterday at 06:13 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
0 registered (), 54 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.