I am a the parent of a Girl Scout in New Orleans. I am contacting scout leaders and volunteers to share information about an idea for a fundraiser. It is through Usborne Books. They offer a "Reach for the Stars" reading marathon fund-raiser. Basically, kids collect pledges for each book they read during a set period of time, say $1.00 from Aunt Mary for each book they read during two weeks. The troop keeps 30% of the total pledges. The other 70% goes towards Usborne books of our choice -- which the scouts can keep, donate to their school or another organization, or a combination of the two. As a Usborne consultant, I organize the event, handle all of the paperwork, etc.
A troop at my daughter's school did it last year, and it went beautifully. They chose to do it as a service project and gave $875 in books to the school library!
This is not limited to troops in my area. We can run the program anywhere in the U.S. Please let me know if any troops in your area could be interested in this unique program!
GS Volunteer, Troop 40234