logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
OP Offline
K
I've been rattling this around in my head for quite some time now. I feel schools should offer non-competition 'sports' classes. Every sports class I've ever been follows this mantra: "If you aren't on the team, you can't be in the class". Honestly, that's ridiculous! Why can't kids be in classes that allow them to excercise and be in a class without having to participate in a team to compete? And I know most of you say they have P.E. That may be the case. But it doesn't give kids the opportunity to try new things. P.E. consists of a few things: Kickball, dodgeball, sometimes basketball. Sure some schools might have other variations, but for the most part P.E. is boring. Why don't more schools offer classes like...Ballet? Yoga? Kickboxing? Ballroom? As a full, year round, eligible for P.E. credit class. Why do kids have to participate in team sports and compete at various levels to get excercise?? Am I babbling nonsense?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
Tiger
I agree, kids are so stressed out as it is with too much to do in so little time. Then more stress is added and shame when they do not measure up to whatever level is dictated in the sport they participate in.

I am now 52 and miss those days when we as kids would just play because we wanted to. And we had less health issues such as migraines that yound people are experiencing.

Great post!

Parakeet
Parakeet
I would like to see more intellectual competition in school. Children need to exercise their brains more. The creative writing competition "Power of the Pen" is one good example of getting students to work their minds, not just their muscles.

C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
In our school district we have hundreds of kids train for a math competition, The Math Relays. Schools enter their teams, and kids can compete in the team competition or individual competition. The competition challenges students' skills in algebraic concepts, geometric concepts, data and statistics, number sense and trigonometry. It is a very big deal.

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

Parakeet
Parakeet
It is great that your school district has a Math competition. There need to be more academic competitions for students at all grade levels everywhere.

Moderated by  Maeve Maddox-School Ref 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.