Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
When my son was taking drive's ed I talkd to the instructor about the fact that he had Asperger's.

He said thast was perfectly OK, he had special ed students that he needed to make adjustments for before - such as a deaf girl.

I told him I didn't realize deasf people could drive, because I thought you needed to be able to hear emergency vehicles.

He told me that deaf people tended to be better drivers because they weren't distracted by things like the radio, cell phones or other people talking.

Just like what you said Angela

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Absolutely Angela. I think we check more because we only have our visual sense.

Felicity
Deafness
V
V
I am severely hearing impaired. It's not my disability that prevents me from driving, though; it's my anxiety or fear of being killed in a car accident (if that happened, it would be a self-fulfilling prophecy!) and my terrible sense of direction.

Thanks to the wonderful hearing-aid technology, I would be able to drive safely if it weren't for the above variables. But I could NOT drive safely in a car full of people; the noise of people talking would overwhelm me.

Parakeet
Parakeet
I have an auditory processing disorder and don't necessarily hear when I'm concentrating - such as concentrating on driving. Hearing isn't important to driving at all and I would say that overall, passengers telling me about potential hazards has been in the unhelpful to dangerous range much more than they've been helpful. Here in Portland, most of the emergency vehicles run with lights only anyway (except possibly at intersections.)

Julie

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
I couldn't agree more. Thanks for your comments

Felicity
Deafness
K
K
Even I agree with you, a deaf person should not be allowed to drive and also personally he should drive. Driving may cause injury to himself and also to many innocent people. If they want to drive, they should go for hearing aids first and then go for the drive.

Last edited by kimmi12; 06/22/11 08:06 AM.
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
I live in Olathe Kansas, the home of the Kansas State School for the Deaf. Kids come here to go to school, and they stay because our town has a vibrant deaf community and a deaf cultural center.

If deaf people could not drive, we would have a lot of deaf people walking. Yes, deaf people can drive. As in all populations, there are good drivers and lousy drivers. They can see the flashing lights on emergency vehicles, so the siren is just frosting on the cake.

One poster said that they don't talk while driving, so they are safer. Wrong. They do talk when they are driving, and that is hazardous, since they sign, it can take their eyes off the road. A brief comment is fine, but a protracted conversation is downright hazardous!

Should deaf people drive? Absolutely! Should they talk and drive? No way!

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

K
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
K
I am hard of hearing, but it hasn't affected my driving significantly.

"....and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make." - John Lennon
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.