L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
Day 1
Agape love is unconditional. If we love with an agape love, we will not expect anything in return and we will love others regardless of how we are treated. Forgiveness is part of agape.

In Matthew 18:21-22, Jesus tells Peter we must forgive more than we would normally think we should ("Not seven times, but I tell you, seventy-seven times."

Isabel states, "Jesus sets a higher standard for forgiveness" and asks "what does Jesus' expectations require of us?"

My answer is that Jesus' expectation requires us to put aside "self"...to love others unconditionally as he would. We are go grow in patience, love, kindness and understanding. What do you think??????

If you are looking for points to journal, today's is "Make a list of ways to practice agape love through practical acts of kindness and love this week."

Sponsored Post Advertisement
R
Amoeba
Amoeba
R
Hi Lyn- Thanks for this post, I needed the encouragement about what agape love truly is, and I do agree with you about it. I recently have had a heartbreaking experience with a girl I've known a long time. We are both Christians,however, through time and difficult situations, we've grown apart. It's difficult - so, thanks. I am the new Cancer site editor in training, so visit me in the future if you'd like; my bio is up if you would like to see it! I'm adding you as a Watched topic. Rann -

L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
Hi Rann!

Welcome! I will check out your bio in a bit.

In life, there are seasons and sometimes people don't follow us through each. We learn and receive encouragement from them during the time they are with us. Still, when we grow apart, it is sad. Other times, it just takes one party reaching out and loving unconditionally to get past the hurdle.

You'll find the BellaOnline editors are are welcoming and supportive of each other when we go through tough times. Lean on us....we're here for you!

L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
Day 2: Madeline L'Engle's teaching.......

The Bible tells us that "if we have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." (Matthew 17:20)

Madeline states we should be able to do what Jesus did...walk on water, miracles, etc. This leads to being humble as Jesus was and being able to accept God's will does not always match ours. Yet, we are incapable.

We find things to be "impossible" because of limitations that we put upon ourselves. "One of the great sorrows which came to human beings when Adam and Eve left the Garden was the loss of memory." (p24)

One of Isabel's points to ponder.........

"What specifically do you think we as humans have 'forgotten' about our true nature, our relationship with God, and our ability to live as Jesus lived?" (p25)

I think that we have forgotten how to love unconditionally and how to relate. We have forgotten our self worth as joint heirs with Christ...sons and daughters of God.

Before the fall, Abba enjoyed walking and communing with Adam and Eve. He is always there....it is us who run and hide. We have forgotten that God is more than a presence we learn about in church. He is our Abba father who cares deeply for us and wants for us to connect with him.

What are your thoughts??????

The essence of Isabel's points to ponder....

L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
Day 3 (Expectations)

So, day 3 is about expectations. Madeline L'Engle brought out a good point. We often expect more of situations and people than reality provides. We must be willing to drop our own falsehoods and become willing to work at relationship.

One of Isabel's questions.......
"What false expectations do we sometimes harbor--of our church, our friends, and those who minister to us daily?"

~~~I know I was quite surprised when I first formally worked in ministry. Ministers are people too. Often others think that ministers do not have any problems, are pious, and always do the right thing. They are expected to always be there for everybody with a supportive shoulder and the correct answer. The reality is quite different. Infighting, greed, addictions, anger, defeat are all things that exist among the clergy. They, as much as anyone, need our prayers and understanding.

What are some of the false expectations you hold in relationships?

Last edited by Lyn-Christian Lit; 06/12/11 08:26 PM.
L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
Ok...perhaps I should have mentioned our 40 day journey might take a little longer due to my procrastination in posting my entries.
Alas, here is day 4

Madeline's point was that God's greatness and abilities are so vast that it is beyond our comprehension. Our minds cannot encompass the enormity of the spiritual world. We try to break it down and humanize it into aspects we can deal with.

Journal reflection....

"How do certain activities in your life get in the way of your time with Jesus?"
~~~By being busy, we are often too tired to spend time in meditation and prayer. We put it off...often meaning to for only one night...and end up getting out of the habit of a regular prayer time. Even church activities and outreach, when we take on too much, can become a distraction.

We live up to our commitments to the people around us---family, customers, coworkers, and friends--so why can't we uphold our commitment to a time of devotion to Jesus? Why do some many of us become "fire escape" Christians who run to God only in times of need?

Your thoughts???

Moderated by  Lyn-Christian Lit 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:15 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.