Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#691975 06/01/11 10:41 AM
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Do Enjoy the article entitled Navajo Women, Extraordinary Ethnic Beauties

Did you know that there were approximately 7 to 11 million indigenous people living in what became North America, before Europeans arrived? These people belonged to untold numbers of nations and tribes. Their languages, customs and traditions, their forms of government, and their economies greatly varied.

Did you know that Essie Parrish, (1902-1979) a renowned Kashaya Pomo spiritual healer, dedicated herself to teaching her tribe's children their native language and customs? At 6 years old, she was known as her tribe's dreamer because she was able to interpret dreams and tell of things foreseen. She also made numerous films. These anthropology documentaries were on Pomo culture and ceremonies. She presented one of America's presidents with a hand-woven basket upon his visit to a Kashaya reservation.

Did you know that Maria Tallchief (1925) was the first American prima ballerina? One of the 20th Century's high-profile Native People, her title role performance in Firebird (1949) catapulted her to international celebrity status. She performed with the Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo, yet she is more widely known for her time with The New York City Ballet. Her father was a chief in Osage Nation, and about her childhood she wrote that she was a good student and fit in at a Catholic school. Yet in many ways, she was a typical Indian girl � shy, docile, introverted, one who loved being outdoors...

Prima Ballerina Maria Tallchief

Last edited by AprilAlisaMarquette; 06/01/11 10:45 AM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Elephant
Elephant
Such a great post and article April. Our friend Joe is a Navajo and a book was written about his family and the area where they live in northern AZ. Like you said it was his grandmother that was passing down the traditions. She owns the land where they live and raises sheep and basically runs the family.

So interesting to me that Navajo are matrileneal. The old custom in Mexico (maybe it still is) was to keep both your maternal and paternal last names (surnames) until you got married then you simply dropped your maternal surname and added your husbands surname to your paternal surname (confusing, I know).

Here's how that worked for my mom:
Gilda Juventina Noriega Sanchez (before marriage)
Gilda Juventina Noriega de Suro (after marriage)

According to Wiki it is considered impolite towards her family for a woman to change her name so in some Spanish speaking countries you actually keep all those making it Gilda Juventina Noriega Sanchez de Suro (crazy!!).

You would think all that crazy surname business would have ended when we moved to the U.S. then naturalized 10 years later (it doesn't fit on the naturalization certificate) but my mom still kept her Noriega name in the mix; Gilda Suro Noriega and even added it to our name which was very confusing at school. Everybody thought our last name was Noriega when it was really Suro (grrrr, thanks a lot mother).

But, I guess that tradition never ends because I hyphenated during my first marriage then turned it into my middle name after my second marriage.

I didn't torture my son with all this but now I regret that he doesn't have my family name in his name somehow. crazy

I wonder what Maria Tallchief's real name was (ha ha ha).

Monica Neave ISSA Certified Fitness Therapist

Get Your Best Female Figure with the most overlooked workout strategy.

Burn more fat with Fatloss Workouts that work!

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Most American Indian tribes are matrilineal. The women are seen as the "Keepers of the Heritage" -- which means they pass down the traditions, culture, history, the old ways, the training of the youth.

Wonderful article, April! I love it.

Jane, our Native American editor, is very knowledgeable and respectful of the ways of American Indians and their cultures. Each tribe is unique unto themselves and have provided a wonderful and important part of the history of this country.

PS: Monica, Maria Tallchief's real name is Elizabeth Maria Tallchief. She is so beautiful.

Last edited by Phyllis-Folk/Myth; 06/07/11 11:32 AM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Shark
Shark
Thank you April for such a lovely and inspiring article that shares important parts of Navajo culture. I especially like how you mentioned the Kinaalda Ceremony and it's importance to many young women's lives, to this day.

I feel a deep pity and shame for those who make light of a Navajo (or any other tribe) woman's name. One would think they'd admire this custom for it's rich cultural heritage in today's predominantly patriarchal society.

Knowledge tempered with respect becomes wisdom. This is the basis of Navajo, Cherokee, Lakota and all other Native American cultural traditions.

Phyllis, as ever, you are a balm to the spirit. May you always walk in wisdom and harmony.

Last edited by great_grandaughter; 06/07/11 12:39 PM.
Elephant
Elephant
Thanks Phyllis. Are names indicative of physical characteristics as well?

You are so compassionate, Great Grandaugher. Thank you.

Your understanding of the Native cultures is remarkable.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Elephant
Elephant
Quote:
I feel a deep pity and shame for those who make light of a Navajo (or any other tribe) woman's name. One would think they'd admire this custom for it's rich cultural heritage in today's predominantly patriarchal society.

If you were referring to my comment, I was not making fun just wondering if that was a stage name. I'm a minority too and one that is despised right now in America so chillax.

Shark
Shark
I name no names nor point fingers. It is up to each individual to ascribe their own point of view to every post on the forum. It is a personal choice as to whether or not one does or does not take offense to topics. Continue as you will Monica.

Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Hi Monica!
Hi Phyllis!
Hi Great Granddaughter!

It's so lovely to see you all!

Monica, I was very impressed with the last name information you gave. I noticed that some of my Latina girlfriends had long names. Before you gave us that insight, I just thought they'd been christened with those names. I didn't know it was so deeply steeped in heritage. I now know it is something to be vastly proud of. Thanks for sharing!

Phyllis, with your gentle wisdom, it is always a pleasure.

And Great Granddaughter, I must thank you. YOU inspired me to do that article. Since the first time we interacted, I'd been studying so that I could let others know some wonderful things about Native Peoples. I've learned quite a few things I'll carry with me always.

Thank you, April, for your kind words.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Juliette - Ethnic Beauty 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.