Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#691507 05/30/11 08:47 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Our hawks will be ready to leave the nest soon. Here's a list of the names suggested. Scroll down before you vote for a brief description of each. We'll be tallying up the votes and posting the results on Saturday, June 11th. But don't delay, get your vote in today and you can see how others have voted too.

Baby Hawk Names
single choice
Smokey & Bandit (10%, 1 Votes)
Balin & Dayita (20%, 2 Votes)
Ceta & Luta (0%, 0 Votes)
Red Bird & Keetoowah (30%, 3 Votes)
Talon & Keeper (0%, 0 Votes)
Tutka & We-wau (10%, 1 Votes)
Rebel & Yankee (30%, 3 Votes)
Total Votes: 10
Voting on this poll ends: 06/09/11 11:59 PM
Last edited by Jane - Native American; 06/09/11 06:58 PM.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Here's a description of the names suggested. A very special thank you to all who contributed.

Smokey & Bandit - for those who joined our little family recently, the hawks hatched while we were experiencing heavy smoke from the Swamp fires near us.

Balin & Dayita - These are Cherokee and mean Mighty Warrior and Beloved. It took a few days for us to see the 2nd little one and it was a much loved surprise.

Ceta (pronounced chay-dahn) is Lakota for Hawk
Luta (pronounced lue-dah) is Lakota for Red

Redbird and Keetoowah - Redbird is in honor of Redbird Smith, a Cherokee Elder who worked tirelessly to keep the Old Ways alive. Keetoowah was home for the Sacred Fire.

Talon & Keeper - These are abbreviations for Hidden Talon and Keeper of nest all to self

Tutka & We-wau - These are the Creek words for Fire and Water. Since these babies hatched, we've had plenty of both, and some hail.

Rebel & Yankee - While little, the hawks each stayed on their sides of the nest, North and South. With my husband from CT and me from SC, we've used these nicknames in the interim.

After you vote in the poll, why not share with us which pair you chose and how it spoke to you.

Last edited by Jane - Native American; 05/30/11 09:10 PM.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I voted Redbird and Keetoowah. Those names just spoke to me with a strong spiritual meaning and good feelings. The Old Ways have always been special to me and this is one of my goals in writing my book, to bring out the Old Ways for the youth of today to learn more about their Ancestors. The Sacred Fire that burns within all of us is there if we choose to let it shine.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
It was so hard to choose the names. I like them all and I am used to the names Rebel and Yankee. Since I already voted though, I will have to stand with Redbird and Keetoowah.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
I like the symbolisms that go with Rebel & Yankee - North & South; roots of Jane & her husband.

Yet any name we bestow upon the feathered youngsters will have a meaning behind it and go a long way in showing a respect for nature.

-B-
"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children."
Shark
Shark
I can't vote yet-not sure if I can really. One reason is, you have called them Rebel and Yankee for this while, so it's how you will naturally hear them in your head. Yes I like 4 of the options, but how can you make up your mind?

Giving personal names to wildlife, recognizes them as true individuals from any other birds on the planet.

The other reason I can't choose is because names bestow responsibility and power. This will give the birds the ability to change and evolve; not remaining static as in the western naming culture. Naming them could be a generous gift from you.

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
These are very good points. Yes, their nicknames will definitely stick with us, but could also be considered their childhood names. When one comes of age, it's time for a proper adult name. And they are getting close. As I type, Rebel is sitting away from the nest and already looks like a little adult.

Usually an adult name is bestowed by an Elder. I'm not an Elder and at almost 50 don't even have MY adult name yet. That's something I need to ask for this year, it would be an awesome birthday present.

With everyone here a part of their young lives, as a "clan" we can choose their proper names. I must admit, I have the same problem. I equally like 5 of them, and they all fit well.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Shark
Shark
So true!

Balin & Dayita-- full of character

Ceta & Luta--VERY partial to

Redbird & Keetoowah--strong liking for

Tutka & We-wau--very good names akin with nature

*sighs* I'm just overtired today so maybe some more thought is needed before I vote! Either way, I think we're all grateful that you're making us a part of these beautiful birds' lives! *hugs*

I like your thoughts, all of your thoughts here. We are like a 'clan' and we all love our little ones.

I will always think of the little guys as Rebel and Yankee for the reasons Beetle gives. Soon they will be passage Hawks and on their way into the world -- they need to go forth with their childhood names tucked under their wings and their proper adult names bestowed upon them.

Can Chief Martin do this? You really need to have a little ceremony when their names are given to them. We can all be there in spirit. Oh! I am getting goose bumps, just thinking about a Naming Ceremony.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Shark
Shark
Great idea Phyllis!
As always, you're a balm to the soul!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.