Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
vincischool, christylynn81, minas, puumando, 2013
57214 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57214 Members
417 Forums
113007 Topics
801085 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Rosie 66 828
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 470
Beetlemess 305
Nancy Roussy 150
Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 109
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 87
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 80
Sandra Investing/HFinance 45
Susan - Meditation Editor 44
Mona - Astronomy 39
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#689581 - 05/23/11 02:01 PM New Article - My First Pow-Wow
Jane - Native American Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Loc: Southeast Georgia
Over 3 years ago, my very first post on the forum was about this memorable night. It's a story I've shared numerous times and with each recount, it is sustained in my heart.

Every Pow-Wow and Gathering has special moments for those who attend. Please share some of your funny, strange, and touching moments with us.

My First Pow-Wow

Edited by Jane - Native American (05/23/11 02:32 PM)
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia

Add New Article - My First Pow-Wow to Twitter Add New Article - My First Pow-Wow to Facebook Add New Article - My First Pow-Wow to MySpace Add New Article - My First Pow-Wow to Del.icio.us Digg New Article - My First Pow-Wow Add New Article - My First Pow-Wow to Yahoo My Web Add New Article - My First Pow-Wow to Google Bookmarks Add New Article - My First Pow-Wow to Stumbleupon Add New Article - My First Pow-Wow to Reddit
#689584 - 05/23/11 02:26 PM Re: New Article - My First Pow-Wow [Re: Jane - Native American]
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Here's one to get us started.

Before we got our camper we would attend the Pow-Wow on Friday evening and then return for a full day on Saturday. We weren't there at 2am to be awakened by the screams. One of the traders, a big, burly guy, made a late night visit to the bathhouse. Half asleep, he didn't notice the bright green tree frog on the plumbing fixture. However, the little frog certainly took note of him and an interesting new perch to jump to.

Being "attacked" by a frog in the middle of the night is not a quiet event and the entire camp was jolted from their dreams. When we arrived the next day, "Wanted" flyers were already posted. They included a photo to assist in identifying the assailant and offered a reward.

Edited by Jane - Native American (05/23/11 02:34 PM)

Add Re: New Article - My First Pow-Wow to Twitter Add Re: New Article - My First Pow-Wow to Facebook Add Re: New Article - My First Pow-Wow to MySpace Add Re: New Article - My First Pow-Wow to Del.icio.us Digg Re: New Article - My First Pow-Wow Add Re: New Article - My First Pow-Wow to Yahoo My Web Add Re: New Article - My First Pow-Wow to Google Bookmarks Add Re: New Article - My First Pow-Wow to Stumbleupon Add Re: New Article - My First Pow-Wow to Reddit
#689610 - 05/23/11 03:57 PM Re: New Article - My First Pow-Wow [Re: Jane - Native American]
Phyllis Doyle Burns Offline
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

Loc: Reno, NV
Jane, such a wonderful article about your first Pow-Wow. Thank you so much for sharing that experience. Your little girl must have been so mesmerized.

That is such a funny story about the frog! I almost fell off my chair laughing so hard. That poor man must have been so frightened. Thanks for starting my day with a good laugh, Jane.

My first Pow-Wow was the one I will never forget. I was working at a college up in Skagit County, Washington. The Pacific Northwest Indian populations are comprised of so many different tribes and their arts, totem poles, regalia are striking with bold colors and impressive creativity.

I had volunteered to help wherever I was needed. I was put in charge of directing the incoming vendors where to park their vehicles. It seemed like I was out there forever directing the new comers -- but, I met some lovely people who all encouraged me to come by their booths for samples of the foods.

When it was time for the ceremonies to start in the huge gymnasium, the Pow-Wow organizer (a good friend of mine) came out and took me inside. She was a member of the Swinomish tribe, tall, noble, and beautiful. Her regalia and long black hair adorned with feathers and beads so impressed me -- I had never before seen her in her tribal manner of dress. She took me to a seat where I could see everything that would happen.

When the moment the Grand Entry began until the first break, I was mesmerized and felt like I was in another time and place. The voices of the drums spoke to me and to this day my heart still beats in tune with them.

When it was time for all the dancers and the drum to take a break, I just sat there. My friend came over with a smile on her face and said, "You can move now."

I had no idea the Pow-Wow would be that powerful and impressive. It left a lasting impression of beauty on me and a deep sense of pride for our tribes of the PNW.

I suddenly realized I had not eaten all day and went out to find some fry bread and pinto beans to enjoy.

Edited by Phyllis-Folk/Myth (05/23/11 04:01 PM)

Add Re: New Article - My First Pow-Wow to Twitter Add Re: New Article - My First Pow-Wow to Facebook Add Re: New Article - My First Pow-Wow to MySpace Add Re: New Article - My First Pow-Wow to Del.icio.us Digg Re: New Article - My First Pow-Wow Add Re: New Article - My First Pow-Wow to Yahoo My Web Add Re: New Article - My First Pow-Wow to Google Bookmarks Add Re: New Article - My First Pow-Wow to Stumbleupon Add Re: New Article - My First Pow-Wow to Reddit
#689868 - 05/24/11 01:20 AM Re: New Article - My First Pow-Wow [Re: Phyllis Doyle Burns]
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

"You can move now" I can certainly relate to that.

It had been cloudy all day, dark, heavy clouds. It was so humid you could almost "drink" the air. Sunset went unseen as Grand Entry began. With all the dancers around the Circle, an Elder made his way slowly to the drum arbor for the opening prayer. He was handed the microphone and stated he would be praying in Cherokee. As he began to speak, the clouds parted and he was encompassed with the light of a full moon.

Standing beside me, my husband was quite unsuccessful in his attempt to whisper, and everyone around us heard "Did you SEE THAT!"

Edited by Jane - Native American (05/24/11 01:23 AM)

#689870 - 05/24/11 01:24 AM Re: New Article - My First Pow-Wow [Re: Jane - Native American]
Phyllis Doyle Burns Offline
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

Loc: Reno, NV
How impressive that was, with the opening prayer. Creator certainly was listening to your Elder.

Your husband was pretty impressed to I gather. I can so imagine that moment in my mind.

#689878 - 05/24/11 02:14 AM Re: New Article - My First Pow-Wow [Re: Phyllis Doyle Burns]
.... Offline
Shark

I love it! Just wonderful! Such a great story!

#690224 - 05/25/11 03:24 AM Re: New Article - My First Pow-Wow [Re: ....]
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Powwows.com has some great video clips from this year's Gathering of Nations.

The Aztec Dancers are a special treat. Many years ago we were able to attend one afternoon of the Mohegan Corn Festival in Uncasville, CT. We certainly picked the best time to arrive and were privileged to watch a group of Aztec Dancers in the Circle. The dancers are accompanied by both drum and flute, so turn up the speakers.

If you have any idea how they got their regalia to the Gathering, please clue me in. Some of the headdresses wouldn't fit in my car and I can't image walking up to the counter at the airport to have them checked as baggage!

Aztec Dancers - Powwows.com

#690226 - 05/25/11 03:33 AM Re: New Article - My First Pow-Wow [Re: Jane - Native American]
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Here's a clip of the Grass Dancers. Watch the footwork. If this was in a field, the grass would be tamped down and ready for the other dancers quite quickly.

These guys have stamina. The regalia with thick yarn is very heavy.

Grass Dancers - Powwows.com

#690229 - 05/25/11 03:43 AM Re: New Article - My First Pow-Wow [Re: Jane - Native American]
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

And now for the Ladies, a clip of the Jingle Dress. Each one of those cones is placed precisely for maximum sound and motion. I wish they had a microphone in their midst. It would probably have sounded like a million wind chimes.

Jingle Dress - Powwows.com

This is one of numerous dance video clips you can enjoy on Powwows.com.

Edited by Jane - Native American (05/25/11 03:46 AM)

#690302 - 05/25/11 01:56 PM Re: New Article - My First Pow-Wow [Re: Jane - Native American]
vhawk Offline

Loc: N. East USA
love the frog and the trader story..:)) I have been attending pow-wows for some time..but this is the first yr I ''participated.'' My 2 daughters and I were asked to do basket-making demo over the weekend, along with the wonderful lady who has been teaching us this past yr. We had a great weekend..and also, our booth was set up facing the dancers,, so we had a great view of all the activities.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Fall Family Fun with Sandwiches
by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
Sandwiches
28 minutes 24 seconds ago
Halloween
by Angie
Christian Living
Today at 08:19 AM
What exercise did you do today?
by Nancy Roussy
Exercise
Today at 07:19 AM
I Lost Almost Everything
by Nancy Roussy
Stress Management
Today at 07:14 AM
What's your favorite fashion item?
by isabell smith
Fashion Jewelry
Today at 06:12 AM
Word From Last Letter Game
by Rosie 66
Contests & Sweepstakes
Today at 04:17 AM
Lisa's Daily 10pm EST / 8pm MST Meditation
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Meditation
Yesterday at 10:05 PM
Game - Vampire Names
by Ro Longstreet-Wicca
Creativity
Yesterday at 08:59 PM
Job Titles Game
by Ro Longstreet-Wicca
Fiction Writing
Yesterday at 08:55 PM
Coming Up-Yoga Sequences E-book
by Terri - Exercise/Yoga Editor
Yoga
Yesterday at 08:50 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
0 registered (), 54 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.