logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Ignore companies that exclude the unemployed and focus on organizations that are friendly to older workers, says reCareered.com's Phil Rosenberg. "SimplyHired.com's advanced search feature filters jobs by companies that are 50-plus-friendly," he says. "Look for industries like health care, financial services and retail that cater to older customers. They are more likely to hire older workers." Companies on AARP's National Employer Team also value mature workers

Nonprofit organizations are ripe with potential for age 50-plus adults, says David Garvey, director of Encore!Hartford. "Nonprofits view seasoned professionals as a new pool of resources," he adds. Nearly 80 percent of Encore!Hartford's graduates have found work, according to Garvey.

Employee referrals produce the highest number of hires of any recruiting source, says John Sullivan of San Francisco State University. You should network in job support groups and use social media websites such as Facebook and LinkedIn to find contacts within a target company.

Tough times call for tough tactics, adds Sullivan. Disguise your unemployed status by keeping your r�sum� updated to when you were employed or using open-ended dates (or leave them off). In the interview you can say "I was too busy to update the r�sum�" and then explain your work status.

"Never use the word 'laid-off' in a cover letter or r�sum�," he says. "In the interview, you mention you were 'riffed' or that the company had a reduction in force. That's good business speak."

by: Elizabeth Pope | from: AARP Bulletin | May 3, 2011

Sponsored Post Advertisement
U
U
LOL, I don't think I agree with the statement of not using the word "laid-off" in your cover letter! I am not going to hide the fact...

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
I agree with you on this, I have been laid off 2 times so far in my lifetime (soon to be 53) and I am not going to hide it like it is some dark secret.

C
C
I won't mention it on my cover letter, but since I was just laid off before I hit the year mark, I feel like I need an explanation right off the bat so they don't think I was fired or simply jump from job to job.

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Welcome to the site Connie S. - I see you are NEW easter

If you don't mind my asking, what type of work are you seeking?

I am seeking "Office Support" as at age "soon to be 53" I have been in that field all my life. But since being laid off in 2008, got unemployment until 2010 - I am now open to a NEW way of handling income sources. That is the whole reason behind my website "Surving Unemployment" - information I found out last year(lol). It is like the unemployment office keeps this information under wraps and it took other unemployed folks clueing me in.

That is what it takes now to get a source of income - talking to other folks who were successful in getting theirs back. I love success stories...

Last edited by Angela J. Shirley; 05/21/11 11:44 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/08/24 09:46 PM
Sewing Sheer Fabrics
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/08/24 01:27 PM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.