Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
This article is about completing a circle. When I wrote it over a week ago, I didn't realize who all would be included within it. Just this week our Art Appreciation editor, Camille Gizzarelle did an article on Dale Chihuly. His PBS show was what brought me into the Circle.

Glass and blanket artistry, what an odd combination! Here's the link to Pendleton's Legendary Series to see their woven works of art.

Pendleton Woolen Mills - The Legendary Blankets

Be prepared, you're going to want one! Every proud Pendleton owner I've met seems to have an interesting story about their blanket. If you have one, please share its story with us.

The Native artists who have worked with this company are amazing. Painters, weavers, musicians, and I'm gathering links so we can "meet" them here.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Ramona Sakiestewa is the artist designer for Pendleton's Southwest Trail series. Reading her resume, all you can say is WOW! She is a self-taught weaver with works in the Smithsonian. Consistently published since the 1980's, she has also served with more Boards and Associations than can be listed here. This includes as director of the Southwestern Association on Indian Affairs (SWAIA).

She has traveled, studied, taught, and lived all over the World! Here's the link to her website. It includes a Gallery with a few photos of her artistry. I love the metal doors with the sun motifs!

Ramona Sakiestewa

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Joseph Chamberlain provided the design for Pendleton's 2011 Legendary blanket. Here's a slideshow of his artwork on YouTube. Turn on the speakers, John Two-Hawks is playing the flute!

Joseph Chamberlain - Yankton Sioux Arts

One of these jumped out as a favorite for me. Which one speaks to you?

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I love Joe Chamberlain's art. His "Journey To Relations" is on my wish list.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Jesse W. Henderson designed the blanket entitled Sacred Dance, and it's one of my favorites. Every element, including the colors selected are symbolic of the Cree Tribe's beliefs.

Unfortunately, I've had trouble finding more of his works on-line. I did find one link for an oil painting at Manitou Galleries.

The painting depicts a tribal family receiving their monthly ration of staple foods. The story behind "monthly rations" is not exaclty a good one, full of corruption. But that's for another day. I love this painting! Even the family dog gets to enjoy the fresh watermelon, which was certainly a surprise.

Ration Day by Jesse W. Henderson

What's your favorite part of this lovely glimpse into life on the reservation?

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Jim Yellowhawk designed Pendleton's Lakota Way of Life blanket, the 2010 edition of the Legendary series. This one is also full of symbolism and it's not hard to learn about this artist.

His website includes an awesome, large gallery, bio information and a short video clip of him dancing (video only, no drum). There is also a blog with great photos. Sadly, the blog has not been updated since August of last year. His beautiful wife Ruth crossed over on August 7th. She had been diagnosed with cancer a few months earlier.

On his website, be sure to click on Links and select the last on the list for great articles on the artist and his son.

Jim Yellowhawk

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
TerryLee Whetstone is Cherokee and the designer of Pendleton's 2008 Legendary blanket called The Record Keeper. This is another of my personal favorites. His website includes both his music and his artwork. The link below takes you to the Original Art Sold page of the website. I love the titles! You'll have to scroll down and see "Now What" and "Turtle Stomp'N"

While you're there, go to his Home page to hear his beautiful flute music.

TerryLee Whetstone.com

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
When you start paying attention to "Circles" in your life, they appear everywhere. I was watching a PBS show about blowing glass....

Pendleton Woolen Mills has another series of eleven blankets. The American Indian College Fund blankets include designs of several world renowned Native artists. Proceeds from the sale of these help fund scholarships.

The newest edition in this series is entitled Raven and the Box of Knowledge. The artist designer is Preston Singletary, Tlingit of the Pacific Northwest. His website is awesome and imagine my surprise, he works in GLASS!

Another Circle completed!

Pendleton's American Indian College Fund blankets

Preston Singletary

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
I didn't catch it in the various articles, but sure it's there somewhere...

Pendleton has produced an serioes of blankets for the Smithsonian's National Museum of the American Indian.

The first, "Sauninga" (Ho-Chunk, 'The Shining One'); the second, "Coastal Moons" (Northwestern Coast influences - I have this one); and the third, "Identity by Design" (Plains, Plateau, and Great Basin derived). A Fritz Scholder landscape, "New Mexico No. 1", was woven for an exhibition that opened a couple years ago.

In researching the titles of the blankets, I stumbled onto NA quilts that are posted on the internet & displayed in the museums. Maybe our quilting forum members would be interested.

-B-
"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children."
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Thanks for that additional information! Are sales of the blankets for the Smithsonian also used for fund raising, or are they just for exhibition like New Mexico No.1?

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.