Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
sophaylavender, titianfire, kitchenvibe, Sandra Gail, aznovel
56986 Registered Users
Forum Stats
56986 Members
417 Forums
112492 Topics
795048 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Rosie 66 716
Beetlemess 710
Karm - SW USA Editor 285
Nancy Roussy 181
Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 165
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 124
Allyson - USACook/HomeCook 115
Linu 114
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 109
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 91
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#687223 - 05/17/11 03:48 PM New Article - Pendleton Blankets
Jane - Native American Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Loc: Southeast Georgia
This article is about completing a circle. When I wrote it over a week ago, I didn't realize who all would be included within it. Just this week our Art Appreciation editor, Camille Gizzarelle did an article on Dale Chihuly. His PBS show was what brought me into the Circle.

Glass and blanket artistry, what an odd combination! Here's the link to Pendleton's Legendary Series to see their woven works of art.

Pendleton Woolen Mills - The Legendary Blankets

Be prepared, you're going to want one! Every proud Pendleton owner I've met seems to have an interesting story about their blanket. If you have one, please share its story with us.

The Native artists who have worked with this company are amazing. Painters, weavers, musicians, and I'm gathering links so we can "meet" them here.
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia

Add New Article - Pendleton Blankets to Twitter Add New Article - Pendleton Blankets to Facebook Add New Article - Pendleton Blankets to MySpace Add New Article - Pendleton Blankets to Del.icio.us Digg New Article - Pendleton Blankets Add New Article - Pendleton Blankets to Yahoo My Web Add New Article - Pendleton Blankets to Google Bookmarks Add New Article - Pendleton Blankets to Stumbleupon Add New Article - Pendleton Blankets to Reddit
#687608 - 05/18/11 04:00 PM Re: New Article - Pendleton Blankets [Re: Jane - Native American]
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Ramona Sakiestewa is the artist designer for Pendleton's Southwest Trail series. Reading her resume, all you can say is WOW! She is a self-taught weaver with works in the Smithsonian. Consistently published since the 1980's, she has also served with more Boards and Associations than can be listed here. This includes as director of the Southwestern Association on Indian Affairs (SWAIA).

She has traveled, studied, taught, and lived all over the World! Here's the link to her website. It includes a Gallery with a few photos of her artistry. I love the metal doors with the sun motifs!

Ramona Sakiestewa

Add Re: New Article - Pendleton Blankets to Twitter Add Re: New Article - Pendleton Blankets to Facebook Add Re: New Article - Pendleton Blankets to MySpace Add Re: New Article - Pendleton Blankets to Del.icio.us Digg Re: New Article - Pendleton Blankets Add Re: New Article - Pendleton Blankets to Yahoo My Web Add Re: New Article - Pendleton Blankets to Google Bookmarks Add Re: New Article - Pendleton Blankets to Stumbleupon Add Re: New Article - Pendleton Blankets to Reddit
#687614 - 05/18/11 04:16 PM Re: New Article - Pendleton Blankets [Re: Jane - Native American]
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Joseph Chamberlain provided the design for Pendleton's 2011 Legendary blanket. Here's a slideshow of his artwork on YouTube. Turn on the speakers, John Two-Hawks is playing the flute!

Joseph Chamberlain - Yankton Sioux Arts

One of these jumped out as a favorite for me. Which one speaks to you?

Add Re: New Article - Pendleton Blankets to Twitter Add Re: New Article - Pendleton Blankets to Facebook Add Re: New Article - Pendleton Blankets to MySpace Add Re: New Article - Pendleton Blankets to Del.icio.us Digg Re: New Article - Pendleton Blankets Add Re: New Article - Pendleton Blankets to Yahoo My Web Add Re: New Article - Pendleton Blankets to Google Bookmarks Add Re: New Article - Pendleton Blankets to Stumbleupon Add Re: New Article - Pendleton Blankets to Reddit
#687616 - 05/18/11 04:24 PM Re: New Article - Pendleton Blankets [Re: Jane - Native American]
Phyllis Doyle Burns Offline
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

Loc: Reno, NV
I love Joe Chamberlain's art. His "Journey To Relations" is on my wish list.

#689184 - 05/21/11 06:40 PM Re: New Article - Pendleton Blankets [Re: Phyllis Doyle Burns]
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Jesse W. Henderson designed the blanket entitled Sacred Dance, and it's one of my favorites. Every element, including the colors selected are symbolic of the Cree Tribe's beliefs.

Unfortunately, I've had trouble finding more of his works on-line. I did find one link for an oil painting at Manitou Galleries.

The painting depicts a tribal family receiving their monthly ration of staple foods. The story behind "monthly rations" is not exaclty a good one, full of corruption. But that's for another day. I love this painting! Even the family dog gets to enjoy the fresh watermelon, which was certainly a surprise.

Ration Day by Jesse W. Henderson

What's your favorite part of this lovely glimpse into life on the reservation?

#689192 - 05/21/11 07:07 PM Re: New Article - Pendleton Blankets [Re: Jane - Native American]
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Jim Yellowhawk designed Pendleton's Lakota Way of Life blanket, the 2010 edition of the Legendary series. This one is also full of symbolism and it's not hard to learn about this artist.

His website includes an awesome, large gallery, bio information and a short video clip of him dancing (video only, no drum). There is also a blog with great photos. Sadly, the blog has not been updated since August of last year. His beautiful wife Ruth crossed over on August 7th. She had been diagnosed with cancer a few months earlier.

On his website, be sure to click on Links and select the last on the list for great articles on the artist and his son.

Jim Yellowhawk

#689407 - 05/22/11 05:19 PM Re: New Article - Pendleton Blankets [Re: Jane - Native American]
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

TerryLee Whetstone is Cherokee and the designer of Pendleton's 2008 Legendary blanket called The Record Keeper. This is another of my personal favorites. His website includes both his music and his artwork. The link below takes you to the Original Art Sold page of the website. I love the titles! You'll have to scroll down and see "Now What" and "Turtle Stomp'N"

While you're there, go to his Home page to hear his beautiful flute music.

TerryLee Whetstone.com

#689997 - 05/24/11 02:54 PM Re: New Article - Pendleton Blankets [Re: Jane - Native American]
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

When you start paying attention to "Circles" in your life, they appear everywhere. I was watching a PBS show about blowing glass....

Pendleton Woolen Mills has another series of eleven blankets. The American Indian College Fund blankets include designs of several world renowned Native artists. Proceeds from the sale of these help fund scholarships.

The newest edition in this series is entitled Raven and the Box of Knowledge. The artist designer is Preston Singletary, Tlingit of the Pacific Northwest. His website is awesome and imagine my surprise, he works in GLASS!

Another Circle completed!

Pendleton's American Indian College Fund blankets

Preston Singletary

#690020 - 05/24/11 04:19 PM Re: New Article - Pendleton Blankets [Re: Jane - Native American]
Beetlemess Offline
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

I didn't catch it in the various articles, but sure it's there somewhere...

Pendleton has produced an serioes of blankets for the Smithsonian's National Museum of the American Indian.

The first, "Sauninga" (Ho-Chunk, 'The Shining One'); the second, "Coastal Moons" (Northwestern Coast influences - I have this one); and the third, "Identity by Design" (Plains, Plateau, and Great Basin derived). A Fritz Scholder landscape, "New Mexico No. 1", was woven for an exhibition that opened a couple years ago.

In researching the titles of the blankets, I stumbled onto NA quilts that are posted on the internet & displayed in the museums. Maybe our quilting forum members would be interested.

#690055 - 05/24/11 05:05 PM Re: New Article - Pendleton Blankets [Re: Beetlemess]
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Thanks for that additional information! Are sales of the blankets for the Smithsonian also used for fund raising, or are they just for exhibition like New Mexico No.1?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Using Loose Pigments
by Kelly Tager
Cosmetics
8 minutes 38 seconds ago
Sandwich du jour
by Debbie-SpiritualityEditor
Sandwiches
18 minutes 48 seconds ago
Get Longer and Fuller Looking Lashes
by Kelly Tager
Cosmetics
19 minutes 1 second ago
Red Wine Question.....
Wine
21 minutes 46 seconds ago
Using Lip Liner and Lipstick
by Kelly Tager
Cosmetics
27 minutes 22 seconds ago
Simply Living
Inspiration
31 minutes 13 seconds ago
Superheroes fashion accessories.....!
by Kelly Tager
Fashion Jewelry
38 minutes 4 seconds ago
Indian Gold Jewelry Designs
by Kelly Tager
Fashion Jewelry
40 minutes 38 seconds ago
Is it possible?
by Kelly Tager
Fashion Jewelry
47 minutes 57 seconds ago
What jewelry do you wear daily?
by Kelly Tager
Fashion Jewelry
58 minutes 38 seconds ago
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
1 registered (Kelly Tager), 154 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.