Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#686775 05/15/11 04:57 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Yes, I'm an obsessive "grandparent" with "our" baby hawk. Photos are forthcoming as soon as the film gets developed tomorrow. Our standard camera takes great pictures and has a much stronger zoom.

Went out back around 2pm for the scheduled "Nest Watch," and Momma Hawk was there with the baby. Grabbed the camera and after a few shots decided to grab the ladder. By that time my husband had joined me and took the heavy ladder to set up. I was going to use it for a higher vantage point from the backyard. But he decided to get on the roof and used a whole roll of film.

After reloading film and returning, two mockingbirds began pestering Momma Hawk. Chasing them off, she flew right over my husband's head, so close he heard the swoosh of air from her wings. He was so excited with picture taking, he didn't "take" the hint. A few moments later he saw the shadow and looked up from the view finder with only an instant for his brain to register "This is going to hurt!"

I was standing in the mud room and heard, "Alright, Alright, I'm done, I'm done!" from the roof. I stuck my head out the backdoor and asked if he was OK. He's coming down the ladder and exclaims "I just got touched by a hawk!" Momma Hawk flew so close over his head her tail feathers brushed his hair. It wasn't just air that time. The photo shoot was over!

The nest is high in a tree at the very front of our yard. Even on the roof, my husband was several hundred feet away. One should never venture closer than that to a hawk. They can be very dangerous, especially when injured or threatened. Their talons can rip right through your skin. They aren't small, with wing spans averaging one meter. Hawks are also protected by Federal law. The fines for disturbing or harming them are steep and another reason to always maintain a safe distance.

When a hawk is flying straight at your head, their wing span looks more like 3 meters! For the next photo shoot from safe distance, I think my husband will be crouching. Standing on the roof, he was too tempting a target.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OMGosh! It is fortunate your husband was not thrown off balance which could have caused a fall.

I can hardly wait for the pictures.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Our roof is pitched in the front and the family room addition on the back has an almost flat roof. He was on that flat portion, thankfully, and farther from the nest. He got a few good shots of Momma Hawk sitting in a tree across the street too.

I'll try to get the photos done in the morning. I can't wait to see them either!

The baby was so active during the photos. It would stand up and spread its wings and then topple slightly to one side. It was like it was trying to figure out what those things are. Momma Hawk was watching carefully from her perch across the street and flew back to the nest frequently to settle baby down.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
You gotta love it! Keep us informed!

Tuculia Washington, Daughters Editor
Daughters Website
Daughters Forum

Live, Laugh and Love
�Making a difference in the world one person at a time�
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
When I got to Walgreens this afternoon their machine was in pieces and the repair guy was 3 hours late! But the folks there are so great and our prints were ready by supper. As you know, my husband took the photos and has granted permission for their use.

Momma Hawk in the nest

That little white blob with dark spots for eyes is our baby. It's clearer in the print. I was hopeful being on the roof would get a better picture. But that's as close as we can get and the best we can do with our equipment.

Those wing things are a little tricky for balancing right now!

We're going to take photos every 4 to 5 days until our little one sets out on its own. They grow up so fast, and we'll be "empty nesters" again in no time.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
How precious. Thank you so much, Jane, for showing us your little family. �Mitakuye oyasin,� (Lakota) we are all One, we are all related in the sacred hoop of life.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Oh, I am so greatful!

They are beautiful. To have such a Spirit, comfortable in your own back yard, it really brings to the forefront balance of nature...

It is these types of events that keep me going. All of the wars and propeganda of wealths, power and money, they're just so empty and regardless of their names or what they promise to do for the little people, you know, it's that little head you captured able to survive without any political help and it's that Spirit that gives at least my mind wings that make sense to fly with.

Thank you Jane! smile

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
You are so very welcome! I'm not certain why I have such an affinity with hawks, but it began back in the 80's after the loss of a loved one. I started seeing them everywhere and felt comforted each time. They must feel pretty comfortable with me as well. We had nests just as close to our house when we lived in Charleston, SC in the early 90's.

When I travel, even a short distance, they swoop in front of the car, or "call" to me silently from a perch. I'll turn my head for no reason, and one will be there watching. I've often wondered if Hawk is one of my animal guides, but I don't recall ever being visited in a dream. That would be special!

At the very least, Hawk is a travel companion, and seems to be with me every moment. In 1987 the band Pink Floyd did a video of their song "Learning to Fly." It features a young Indian man taking the leap to flight. It's strange. I am so afraid of high places, but have longed for the sensation of flight all my life. This video is so accurate in portraying the desire.

Pink Floyd's "Learning to Fly"

"Can't keep my eyes off the circling sky..."

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
It just keeps getting better! This afternoon's Nest Watch included a surprise. Another little white blob popped up.

WE HAVE TWO BABY HAWKS!

With both of them active, the next photo shoot will be a good one. I can't wait!

Last edited by Jane - Native American; 05/17/11 03:16 PM.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Twins! This is wonderful!!!

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.