Next Thread
Print Thread
#684211 05/05/11 03:16 PM
D
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
D
I have the a little sign that says "DREAM" in my office that signifies many important things to me.

I love seeing little quotations or words incorporated as accents in the home.

Here is one of my recent articles all about words. Have you seen it yet? Do you like using words or quotes in your decorating? Let me know what you think! smile

Decorating with Words

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Koala
Koala
I enjoyed your article. I have a sign in my sewing room that says Home...it's where your story begins.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~
Koala
Koala
I also have a bookmark I got from the half price book store that says "It's good to let go". I have it sitting on the window sill in my sewing room. It is to remind me that I don't need to keep everything!

~anonymous~
S
Shark
Shark
S
In my dining room, I have pictures of my husband and I, our grandparents and great grandparents.
I have the words Every family has a story on the wall. Embroidery Fashions Boutique

Last edited by sundancer; 05/11/11 06:34 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hello everyone,

Just above the floor skirtings in three of my rooms I have BREATHE (dining room entrance) which makes me walk in smiling everytime I have guests no matter what the fuss is in the kitchen! and FESTINA LENTE is on the opposite skirting wall which then leads out of the dining room back to the kitchen and to other rooms in the house. This Latin saying means Hurry Slowly. And the last one I have is above my entrance bedroom skirting that says THE BUGS WON'T BITE.

You know how it is in life - very often we look down at our feet when we dance and when we walk. I get lots of comments from my friends who like taking the advice these sayings offer as well!

Cheers

Last edited by Lestie - ContainerGardens; 05/11/11 07:31 AM.

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I love the idea of decorating with words. But I restrict it to my studio because my husband is more traditional in his approach to decorating.

A Latin quote got me through nursing school many years ago. When I was a student nurse I had a patient who was battling cancer and he had the phrase: "Illigitimi non Carborundum" hanging on a sheet of paper across from his bed where he could easily see it. Anyone who has ever gone through nursing school knows that the first word in that phrase applies to everyone in authority at school, from the instructors right on up to the school directors. So I wrote it on the front cover of my binder and looked at it daily. BTW the phrase roughly translates to: "Don't let the Ba****ds grind you down."

D
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
D
I'm glad you liked my article, Connie - it's good to see you here!

I love reading all the ways words are used in each of your homes. Very creative idea to place some down by the floor, Lestie! I'm thinking of painting some words on our stair risers, but haven't zeroed in on anything I like, yet.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi Donna, I don't know how many stairs you have but an idea might be to choose a 4-5 word phrase or quote to suit, start from the left side and moving gradually over to the right ending up flush right as it were with the last word. I steal this idea from a friend of mine and combine it with your last comment. She taught her children to count in this way. She had fourteen (seven up then seven up) stairs which she shared between 1 to 0.

One of my favourite Latin sayings (I have many, I really love the language) is BIS DAT QUI CITO DAT which means She/he/it gives twice who gives quickly. So you will get something like this as you walk up ...

DAT
CITO
QUI
DAT
BIS

I don't have stairs to speak of so can't use this idea of yours, still tromp l'oeil? Ah, now where to find a painter and how to afford him/her? Thnking is harmless enough and imagining fun!

Cheers
P S When I typed the post I spaced the quote but I see it doesn't stay. No problem, I am sure you know what I am trying to say!

Last edited by Lestie - ContainerGardens; 05/13/11 08:30 PM.

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
Koala
Koala
I can hardly believe we are done remodelling our house Donna. But decorating never ends!! smile

~anonymous~
P
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
P
I have in the kitchen above the door Mom's Choices - Take It Or Leave It. This is one of my favorite's although that's not how I treat my family. lol

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.