Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#680077 04/20/11 09:43 PM
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Where I live the weather is very temperate, but I was recently in Florida and it was hot and humid. Which gives rise to the question, How do you manage to knit when it is hot and humid? I was fairly unsuccessful!

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Knitting Guild of Santa Cruz
"I will not let the non-knitters of the world decide how normal I am"~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
We're just 4 miles from the Florida border and don't usually turn on the air conditioning until June 1st so our bodies can acclimate to the heat. Dealing with the heat is also a health issue.

I limit myself to small projects, hats, scarves, Angel blankets, etc. during the hottest months and then do larger projects in the Fall. Then it's a race to get those completed before Christmas. January to March is probably the best knitting time here in the Deep South. But those months are always so hectic for me.

When I tell someone a project has my "Blood, Sweat, and Tears" in it, I might be exaggerating about the blood and tears, but not the sweat! Needless to say I don't use much wool or wool blends.

Last edited by lcp012586; 04/22/11 05:20 PM.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
I love knitting socks and summer knitting goes well with socks. They are a small object so there is not a lot of fabric floating on your lap to keep you warm. Also sock knitting is a handy project to take with you even in a small purse, no need to carry a huge knitting bag.
Happy Knitting!

NOTE: New users are not allowed to add links/urls nor images of any kind to their posts or signature!

Last edited by Sadhana - Indian Food; 02/12/13 04:22 PM.
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I have socks and baby things to work on, with a lot of cotton yarn. Fixation makes the cutest hats, and good socks too, since it stretches.

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
"I will not let the non-knitters of the world decide how normal I am"~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
I do small things, socks, mittens/gloves etc.

J
Koala
Koala
J
It gets very hot where I live in the summer but I still knit every evening. I used cotton or lighter yarns and work on spring type scarf designs or other lightweight things.

Knitting keeps me awake when I watch TV in the evenings so I don't stop just because it's hot out.

Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Small projects seem to rule the day when it is hot, which makes sense!

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Here's an idea for summer knitting I had forgotten about. I knitted 6 x 8 inch rectangles. All the pieces were joined for a blanket in a traditional pueblo pattern, in black, turquoise, tan and white.

It was one of the first large projects I tackled after picking the needles up again. It turned out fairly well and used up a bunch of partial skeins.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
That is a great idea. I'm currently working on one of those.

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Hello Marge,
I mostly do socks when it's warm weather, but I've also done a lot of washcloths and dishcloths.

Have you tried any of the knitted dishtowels, such as the ones featured in a recent KnitPicks catalog?

And I'm wondering if you can please help me with posting here, & in other groups on BellaOnline. I haven't been on the site much at all since I signed up years ago, because I got so frustrated!! I've been involved in knitting etc. forums on DelphiForums for years. And whenever someone responds to something I've posted there, I get an e-mail notification, so I can go read their response & post a response on the site to them, & keep the topic going. But I've never gotten any notifications through Bella, & I'm not even sure if such is done here. I got frustrated having to read through post after post, each time I returned to a group, to see if anybody had responded to my posts, & perhaps asked questions. I'd really like to become active in this group, & others on Bella, so I'd appreciate it if you'd perhaps e-mail me privately & see if you can help me figure it out.
Thanks!
Rita, in Utah

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.