Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Listening is primary, but sometimes we can start a conversation with tact and respect.

The next time you see this Elder. Talk with her when she has a free moment. Let her know you have watched and admired her work, but don't have the resources to be a collector. Once she knows you value her artistry, she might open up. Who knows where that could lead?

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I can't remember if I previously posted about this or not, but it's a good example of how a simple question can begin a lesson.

I was helping in the Tribal kitchen with Clan Mother and a Council member. We were chatting about family, siblings, etc. and I was listening carefully, but this question just came out in normal voice and tone. "How long does it take to forgive?" I was thinking it, just didn't realize I was speaking it.

It did somewhat apply to our light conversation. I don't know what surprised me more, that it popped out while I was being so careful to listen, or the instantaneous reply in perfect unison from both Elders. "Green Corn!"

My brain was screaming "What is that?" but with much will power, I demurely replied that I didn't know what that was. That one question during a casual conversation has lead to a new path of learning about both the Cherokee and Creek Green Corn festivities and Ceremony. This is considered the New Year for both Tribes.

Following my own advice, I'm learning as much as I can prior to asking permission to attend. This is not an event open to the public and being allowed to attend is an honor. There's not much information on line, but I've managed to glean a small basket of information from listening.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
For many Tribes Green Corn is next month. This is a very important gathering and timed to the corn harvest, so it varies by region. This is also a very private time as the Tibe gathers to celebrate the new year. For some, it is limited to Tribal members only. As a student, I am respectful of that privacy and did not ask. In showing my respect, another opportunity to learn and experience may have become available.

It happens like this sometimes. I was trying to learn one thing and got redirected to another path which may prove equally rewarding, or perhaps more so.

Last edited by Jane - Native American; 05/22/11 10:21 PM.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.