Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
The site had a series of articles on Tribal Health service providers that needed updating. This update covers the Southeastern Coastal states of FL, GA, SC, NC, and VA.

While it might sound boring, I learned a lot from my research. My Tribe is only State recognized, and I had no idea how many others there are in the Southeast. Take a look. If a facility is not included, please let me know.

Health Services - FL, GA, SC, NC, VA

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko

I would be extremely interested to know if there are any such services offered in Arizona. I would also like to know if you have to be Native-American to use these services.

I look forward to reading your comments.

The evolution of humankind can be measured by how its animals are treated.

Deb Duxbury
Animal Life Editor

Animal Life Forum
Facebook Page
Twitter
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Hi Deb, and Welcome to the Forum!
50 States and 500+ Nations is a tall organizing order. I've divided the states into 10 regions and will be addressing each with an article. I'll be making my way North and West across the Country as quickly as I can.

You ask a very good question and the simple answer would be Yes. There are differences between a Federal Recognized Tribe and one that is recognized only at the state level. For this topic, the biggest is Federal funding for health care services. At most Tribal facilities, you must be an enrolled member of the Tribe which they serve. But there are exceptions.

These hospitals and clinics are generally operated with "designated" funds for a "designated" People. So their patient base is limited.

Many Tribes have had state recognition for decades. They are well organized and have developed resources. I've already found a few on the East Coast with Tribal Health Advocates to assist their members. Other state recognized Tribes have members who volunteer their assistance. A Tribe is a community and everyone's talents and expertise are utilized.

Another resource is Tribal Associations and Organizations. These groups may also have state recognition, but don't meet the criteria to be classified as a Tribe. Many operate as a Tribe, just without connected family lineages. Membership rules vary widely and can include anyone with interest, or just those with documented American Indian heritage. If interested, you may qualify to join one of these organizations. They may have staff or other members who can assist in locating health care providers.

Finding quality and affordable health care is a challenge. I hope this is helpful.

Last edited by Jane - Native American; 05/07/11 04:33 PM.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I am a naturalist and extremely well versed in herbal remedies. I live near several reservations and would like to find a tribe to learn of Native American natural healing.

Western medicine can only help with surgeries and pills.

I am of European descent and don't want to offend anyone by showing up and asking them to teach me. Are there suggestions you might have to that end? Is there anyway to correctly seek out and approach a Native American healer?

Last edited by Jane - Native American; 05/07/11 04:39 PM.

Deb Duxbury
Animal Life Editor

Animal Life Forum
Facebook Page
Twitter
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Thanks for the question Deb! There are no simple answers for this one. The reasons have been accumulating for almost 200 years. But I am so glad you asked. As I was thinking on how best to respond, it turned into a full article. That will include some history and the basis for my answers.

You are correct. One can't just go to a reservation and say "Where are your Elders? I want them to teach me." That would be offensive on many levels. Knowledge is shared as one becomes ready, open to learn and accept it. Worthiness and purity of intentions are also important factors.

One must establish themselves as a worthy pupil, and this can take some time. The best way to start is through networking and becoming a "friend" to an Indian community. Attend their public functions and meet Tribal members. Let them get to know you. Start out asking general information and learn about their history. Always be respectful and understanding if told something is private, not to be shared.

Learn and observe their rules and customs. Apologize quickly and sincerely for goofs, and readily admit you are like a child just beginning its education. We might be experts in our fields outside of the Indian community. But with an Elder, we are children. I've made this mistake, interjecting on something I was knowledgable about. However, to the Elder it was like a 5 year old instructing them how to conduct a Sweat Lodge. While I thought it was helpful, it was actually disrespectful. I am still working on keeping my mouth shut and my ears open.

Help out where and when possible. Not monetarily, but with yourself. Asking "may I come" or "may I do this" is especially appreciated.

After one has become known, the questions come. I've experienced this several times, a non-chalant, but very probing question asked. ALWAYS listen carefully and answer all questions truthfully from the heart. These are tests and subterfuge will be detected immediately. This skill of detection has been honed and perfected over the centuries. I've also had some very blunt questions asked of me. It all depends on the personality. Some Elders test the waters gently with a new person, and others get straight to the point.

As long as one is pure of heart and intention, they will become a welcomed friend. The teaching will begin when that friend is ready. Once the teaching begins, then we can politely ask for more.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Would you be able to direct me in how to learn what Tribal functions are going on and how as a person of European decent I make myself known to them?

Deb Duxbury
Animal Life Editor

Animal Life Forum
Facebook Page
Twitter

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.