Next Thread
Print Thread
#684937 05/07/11 10:49 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I am 42 years old and am trying to figure out a healthy fat range to aim for. I am currently about 136 pounds and my fat range is about 20%. When I look at online resources they tell me I shouldn't be aiming to go lower than that. I definitely want to tone, and build my flexibility, and all of those types of things. But I'm starting to think that aiming for say 18% fat isn't a good way to measure my progress.

What do you guys think? Maybe something like heart rate while walking x miles per hour or a similar type of measure?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Elephant
Elephant
Definitely getting caught up with just numbers isn't the best thing for you psychologically or emotionally. There is more to fitness than numbers. Here's what we measure at the gym to determine how fit a client is:

strength (total body)
muscular endurance
cardiovascular endurance
core stability
hip stability
shoulder stability
overall flexibility
balance
agility and speed (if you're an athlete)
bodyfat
weight
recovery time

But it isn't about numbers. It's about what you want your body to do for you. What is your goal beyond just toning up and being fit and maintaining a healthy weight? There's got to be more than that. Fitness wasn't always an option it used to be a matter of survival and in some ways it still is so how is your workout plan helping you survive?

For me it's about being able to go on hiking adventures and running around at the park with my kids and having energy, strength, and endurance to do anything I want any time of the day. It's also about avoiding the doctor, and cancer, and reducing stress so I can live a simple happy life.

Most people are motivated by really shallow reasons which is why most people can't stick with it and have trouble maintaining their results. If you can find your underlying motivations and you'll figure out what to track.

Last edited by ExerciseEditor; 05/09/11 04:20 AM.

Monica Neave ISSA Certified Fitness Therapist

Get Your Best Female Figure with the most overlooked workout strategy.

Burn more fat with Fatloss Workouts that work!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.