Next Thread
Print Thread
Vannie Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
My new article Grandparents Precious Links to Our Past Grandparents are more than your parents and grandparents to your children, they are precious links to our past. My advice is to take measures to help your children spend time and bond with grandparents. To my way of thinking, Mother's Day and National Grandparents Day go together like peanut butter and jelly.

I have written about grandparents before but much has changed. We are once more becoming two and threee generation families in one household.

Do (or did) you know your grandparents? I did not, now that I am older, I really wish I had. It think it would have told me so much more about myself. How do you stay in contact with your grandparents?

Last edited by Vannie; 05/07/11 11:22 AM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
I still have a maternal grandfather and a paternal grandmother who are living. My children have known three great grandparents and they have all of their grandparents.

My grandparents are just starting to get old and I live away from them. I try to call more frequently now but it is difficult to have a good conversation on the phone. I am anxious to visit more often so I can just sit and gleam their wisdom and learn about our family's past.

My grandparents will both be 97 this year. My grandmother still lives alone, until recently went to work three times a week in downtown Chicago. My grandfather lives independently in an assisted living center. He spends his time going through his papers and writing a book about his life.

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi Vannie,

Great article! I could not agree more that grandparents are such a valuable part of a family.

Both of my paternal grandparents died with 5 months of each other, when I was 5, so I never really got to know them. Unfortunately, my Mother was not crazy about her MIL so we had no photos and the only time I heard about my grandmother was when she saw something in me that reminded her of her MIL. Needless to say those comments were not flattering to either me or my grandmother! But, being the black sheep of the family, I treasured those comments and never forgot them because they were my only link to a grandmother that I probably was a lot like, but never got to know.

My maternal grandparents lived close to us and we spent a lot of time with them. They both passed when I was in my 20's, but by that time I had spent so much time listening to their stories that I got a great sense of my family from them.

The generations in my family were unusually long, my grandfather was 31 when his oldest child (Mom) was born, and my Mother was 37 when her oldest, (me) was born. So my Grandpa would tell me stories of his life from the turn of the 20th century! I am currently writing my memories so that my grandchildren will be able to share in the family history.

Vannie Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Lisa, your children (and you) are so lucky. How wonderful it must be to know your grandparents. My maternal grands died when I was a baby, my paternal I never knew. My step-dad died when he had only young three grands. My mom lived to see many grandchildren, I remember how grateful she was. We used to have a yearly big family gathering so she could watch the kids run around the park and have fun.

Originally Posted By: Lisa - Moms
My grandparents will both be 97 this year. My grandmother still lives alone, until recently went to work three times a week in downtown Chicago. My grandfather lives independently in an assisted living center. He spends his time going through his papers and writing a book about his life.
I cannot tell you how awesome these statements are to me smile Indeed there is long life in your family.

Last edited by Vannie; 05/09/11 11:36 AM.
Vannie Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Thanks for kind words Helen.

I recall my mom felt the same about her MIL. My parents divorced when I was very young. You know, parents don't always get that little ones hear and often do not forget.

I think it is great that you had your maternal grandparents until you were in your 20's they were able to watch you grow up. I used to revel in stories told by older relatives, I think they can do much to shape your thoughts about life. It's super that you are writing your memories to pass down.

Moderated by  Vannie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.