Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
The first thing I realized when playing with Energy Balance Yoga by Rodney Yee is how thankful I am that we have DVD technology. It would have been a royal pain with a VHS tape to keep rewinding and fast forwarding to find the various sections! With the DVD we can hop to exactly what we want. I count my blessings that we live in a DVD world smile

The DVD has five different parts - Awakening, Centering, Creativity, Reflection, and Surrender, plus an intro and an interview.

Annoyance #1 - when you start the DVD you get a commercial for Gaiam that you have to watch or skip. I do NOT want commercials on products I've paid for. Especially if I have to skip past this every single time.

I played the intro. The intro is nice, with Rodney talking about how to use the DVD and how yoga is good for you. A good intro to watch once and then leave alone.

So on to the first actual session. This is the "awakening" session and is matched to morning. Rodney does this short 10 minute session on a beach, right on the sand, with a beautiful sunrise behind him and the waves lapping at his side. It's quite relaxing. The routine is very gentle and a get-out-of-bed style. You start lying down, you do gentle twists, then some downward facing dog, and you're done. It's just meant to get you going.

There's minimal instruction here. Leg to chest. Other leg to chest. No modifications or details. They do a leg to the sky pose and you have to know yourself to use a strap if you need one. So they do expect you to already know yoga before you do this.

When the routine is done then POOF it immediately runs right into the next routine with barely a pause. So you're all relaxed and quiet and suddenly he's on a bright sunny beach and is telling you to do things. I don't like that. I'd want it to go back to the main menu so I can choose - at my own pace - what I want to do next.

Still I did the Awakening one twice in a row (so twenty minutes) and my spine and body does feel better for having done that. It was very soothing. So I suppose if you only have 10 minutes to spare in your morning and want a wake-up gentle routine, this would be OK to do.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Elephant
Elephant
I love balance type practices. Rodney's been putting out a lot of new stuff. Is he still wearing those obscene looking shorts? I can't deal with his budgie smuggler look when I'm trying to learn a new pose. ewwww!!! shocked laugh laugh

Monica Neave ISSA Certified Fitness Therapist

Get Your Best Female Figure with the most overlooked workout strategy.

Burn more fat with Fatloss Workouts that work!

Amoeba
Amoeba
Hahahahaha!! After that last comment I can't think of anything coherent to say! *gasping for air!

Okay, okay. Deep breath. Heehee!

Gaim is certainly one of the biggest and most successful purveyors of yoga "stuff" so I'm not surprised that the commercial plays at the beginning of the DVD. It's how they keep themselves front and center in your subconscious, those devious yoga stuff people!

I'm going to have to check this one out, Lisa. I'm curious about the sequences he demonstrates around Centering, Creativity and Reflection. Have you tried those out yet?

Deborah Mauldin, RYT
Power Yoga Instructor
BellaOnline.com Yoga Editor

"If you desire a glorious future, transform the present. There is actually no other choice." -Patanjali
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Monica -

I have to say my memory of this DVD is that it was the first one I'd seen of his that made me fairly aware "he was male" and it made me uncomfortable. It then made me wonder why it made me feel uncomfortable. After all, I watch yoga DVDs with women and don't expect them to squash their breasts down flat. I accept they are female and have female parts. Why does it make me uncomfortable to see a male and have it obvious he has male parts? It was an interesting things to ponder.

In any case no I haven't done the rest yet - my backlog of work has just gotten so huge that I feel guilty ever leaving my desk - but obviously that isn't healthy for me. So I will make a concerted effort to go try out the next one and see.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.