Print Thread
#683152 05/02/11 05:54 PM
A
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
A
Hi Sabrina!

My hubby is interested in getting a Uke, or Ukelele. He wants something authentic and nice, but not too costly. Any advice? He has never played before...Thanks so much!

AlissaMoy
BellaOnline
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Originally Posted By: Alissa-Homeschooling
Hi Sabrina!

My hubby is interested in getting a Uke, or Ukelele. He wants something authentic and nice, but not too costly. Any advice? He has never played before...Thanks so much!

Hi Alissa!

I have not played the Ukulele, though I have a couple of them, of uncertain quality, waiting for strings in my closet. I think a roommate from days long past must have left them for me.

So I asked my Ukulele pro Facebook pal, Ian Emmerson, who plays in the smashing Uke duo known as The Re-Entrants, in the UK. Here is what Ian replied -

"There is so much available nowadays, that it's difficult to nail something down easily. I would say not to spend too much if you are a beginner - there's no guarantee they'll stick with it, and with the markets at the moment, there's no guarantee on resale value that there may have been a couple of years ago.

Kala and Ohana both make very decent models which are way above the entry level Makalas and Mahalos, and are playable at any level. I still play both. I'd think about getting solid wood over laminate, but really, if they're beginning, staying in tune and having good intonation is far more important. I'd definitely be looking at Kala and Ohana. And unless they come with decent strings, changing strings would be the first priority, to Aquilas or Worths.
"

Lest it be thought that Ukes are not serious musical instruments, here is an audio recording of the song I first heard Ian performing, that compelled me to become his Facebook friend - the theme from the UK TV series, Lovejoy (which I love and watched every episode of).

And here is a video of the Re-Entrants rendition of Tainted Love.

Cheers!

A
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
A
Wow! How cool- they are a neat group!!! And thanks SOOO much for this info, Sabira! It is much appreciated! smile

AlissaMoy
BellaOnline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Originally Posted By: Alissa-Homeschooling
Wow! How cool- they are a neat group!!! And thanks SOOO much for this info, Sabira! It is much appreciated! smile

You are welcome, Alissa! :-)

I wish your husband loads of happy plucking and strumming!

Cheers!

Moderated by  Sabira - Musician Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.