Eagles Making Comeback

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
After several days with the world watching and waiting, the third baby eagle hatches. Watch the joyful event at:
Third Eaglet Hatches

Phyllis Doyle Burns
M
Shark
Shark
M
How absolutely adorable!

OP Offline
Isn't it wonderful to watch how the parent grooms the young?

About two years ago, my family here all got together to drive over to my sister's home for Easter dinner. She lives about 40 miles from us. We took a side trip on the way, around a lake. As we approached this one area where we like to stop and watch for wild life, there were several cars pulled off the road. All the people were standing by the road looking up to a tree. My brother saw the Bald Eagles they were looking at.

A pair of Bald Eagles were at the top of a tree very near the road. They were huge. We got out of the car and stood there watching them for quite some time. The Eagles kept looking at us as we watched them. They had no fear, for I am sure they knew their own strengths and ability to to avoid or defend.

As the larger one stretched out his wings we all gasped. His wing spread was probably as long as my brother's vehicle! It was just such an amazing experience.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Wow! It is wonderful to see these magnificent birds in the wild. So many have never seen one flying or perched in a tall tree. I've had 3 sightings since we moved to GA.

A friend had spent the night with my daughter and we were taking her home. Driving on the main road, the eagle circling above caught my eye. I turned onto the frontage road and made the girls get out. We stood there, the two of them very confused and me crying like a baby. Needless to say, my daughter's friend never stayed with us again.

The second and third sightings were in the same section of I-95 about 40 miles north of our home in the Altamaha Waterfowl Management Area. As we approached a flat bridge, I noticed a large black bird perched in a low dead tree. The first thing that came to mind is why a buzzard would be sitting so low. It was at my eye level as we crossed the bridge and turned to look right at me. Surprised by the white head and bright beak, I exclaimed, "I didn't see that!" My husband asked "What did you NOT see?" I described the sighting, but I'm not sure he believed me completely. At least not until a few weeks later when driving through the same area. A bald eagle flew slightly in front and above our vehicle for at least a half mile. All of us saw it clearly. It was so thoughtful of the eagle to validate the other sighting and let my family know I'm not as crazy as they may have assumed.

In last week's local paper, there was an article on the aerial survey of eagle nests in our state. There were approximately 111 successful nests with about 175 young ones fledged. We have at least 8 nests in our county! Almost half of the nests are in counties along the I-95 corridor. If you are ever driving on Interstate 95 through Georgia, keep an eye out. We have tons of buzzards and many Osprey and hawks, but you might be lucky to also see a bald eagle near one of the many creeks and rivers you'll be crossing.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Hip Hip Hooray for the new babies.

I'm waiting to see if the bald eagles here near DC (Gearge & Martha - yup, that's the names given to them) are going to yield offspring this year.

-B-
"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children."
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Keep us posted. The more babies, the better!

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
D
D
Thanks for the stories....eagles are so majestic and always a blessing to see them. I love to hear your stories about Eagles. I used to work in Alaska and they are common in parts of Alaska. they are truly spiritual as all nature is...they represent the power and beauty of God, and reflect those qualities that live in each one of us.

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Welcome to the forum Debra! We'd love for you to share stories of your eagle sightings there.

Last edited by Jane - Native American; 04/27/11 07:27 PM.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Really nice! I shared it with my daughter today because she's spending the day with me for "bring your daughter/son to work day", and she really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing!

Tuculia Washington, Daughters Editor
Daughters Website
Daughters Forum

Live, Laugh and Love
�Making a difference in the world one person at a time�

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.