Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#680759 04/23/11 11:35 AM
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Everyone:

My mom has diabetes, so I try to make sure I get tested when I can.

Do you have diabetes?
What about your kids?
Does diabetes run in your family?
What steps are you taking to find out if you have it?
What steps are you taking to make sure you don't get it (lol)?

Thank goodness, so far I have not gotten the symptoms and have asked my only child, a girl, now 24 to do the same as she has it on BOTH sides of the family - her father's mom has diabetes. I don't know if she will take my advice as at age 24 I have to allow her to live her life her way.

Now your turn smile

Thanks,

Last edited by Angela J. Shirley; 04/23/11 11:36 AM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
I have diabetes. It does run in both sides of my family. My father died of complications in his 60s. Thankfully, my kids do not have it as yet, although I can tell my son could develop it as he gets older.

I am on insulin now.

To avoid diabetes, keep your weight in a healthy range. Keep active. Avoid overeating and avoid eating junk. Wish I'd done that earlier...

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Thanks for the tips smile
Originally Posted By: Lori Chidori - Marriage
I have diabetes. It does run in both sides of my family. My father died of complications in his 60s. Thankfully, my kids do not have it as yet, although I can tell my son could develop it as he gets older.

I am on insulin now.

To avoid diabetes, keep your weight in a healthy range. Keep active. Avoid overeating and avoid eating junk. Wish I'd done that earlier...

G
Zebra
Zebra
G
I have known I have diabetes for about 14 years now. At first I controlled it with an eating plan and scheduled activity. Some people call this pre-diabetes, but I say if you have to live a life style to prevent medication for a disease, you have the disease.

You go through many changes in how your body works when you have this disease. Stress can cause one of these changes, so when I went through a particularly stressful event, I needed to add medication to my regiment. Even the medication changes from time to time - type and amount - and I'm in the process of another change. I had an appointment this morning, and it looks like I'm 'stable' for now. I do see my doctor every 3 months to keep up with my disease.

My mother had diabetes, and as happens too many times, she passed away from the complications it causes. My father's mother also had diabetes, but a lesser case if that's a proper definition. So far neither of my sons show any indication of the disease, but one daughter-in-law has it, so I can see it being in the future for my grandchildren. I really do hope for a cure before then.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
GrannyH #682034 04/28/11 12:18 PM
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi GrannyH, thanks for taking the time to stop by and share smile How often should I have myself and my daughter tested? I have heard of folks being cured - is this true?
Originally Posted By: GrannyH
I have known I have diabetes for about 14 years now. At first I controlled it with an eating plan and scheduled activity. Some people call this pre-diabetes, but I say if you have to live a life style to prevent medication for a disease, you have the disease.

You go through many changes in how your body works when you have this disease. Stress can cause one of these changes, so when I went through a particularly stressful event, I needed to add medication to my regiment. Even the medication changes from time to time - type and amount - and I'm in the process of another change. I had an appointment this morning, and it looks like I'm 'stable' for now. I do see my doctor every 3 months to keep up with my disease.

My mother had diabetes, and as happens too many times, she passed away from the complications it causes. My father's mother also had diabetes, but a lesser case if that's a proper definition. So far neither of my sons show any indication of the disease, but one daughter-in-law has it, so I can see it being in the future for my grandchildren. I really do hope for a cure before then.

G
Zebra
Zebra
G
Originally Posted By: Angela J. Shirley
How often should I have myself and my daughter tested? I have heard of folks being cured - is this true?

1) Unless there is a hereditary reason for concern, you will need to be having some symptoms of diabetes before you will be tested. If you need to be tested, your doctor will decide when, how and how often. He/she will probably start with a 'glucose tolerance' test. This shows how long your body takes to return your blood glucose to a normal reading. If it is determined that you need to be closely watched, the test they will do a regular basis is called a A1c. This test tells what your average glucose level was for the past 3 months. Insurance companies will cover this as a regularly needed test for all pre-diabetes and diabetes; and doctors very much insist on that frequency.

2) Every once in awhile, you hear there is a cure. There is research and I do hope that one day this is true. If there was a cure now, there wouldn't be any diabetes. What is available now are methods for controlling the levels of glucose in your system. They mostly involve controlling the intake of carbohydrates (they are turned into glucose within your body) and keeping active (using the carbohydrates). As long as you can keep this under control it is called pre-diabetes. And many people call this a cure. But, in my opinion as I've said before, if you need to develop a plan/lifestyle to delay (or stop) a disease, you have the disease. You just don't need meds.

Just one diabetes' input...GrannyH smile

GrannyH #683018 05/02/11 11:47 AM
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi GrannyH:

Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to share with us. Yep, I am printing this out and mailing to my daughter and keeping a copy for myself smile

G
Zebra
Zebra
G
Just so long as you keep in mind I only live with the disease, I am not an expert. My sister (just an example) who also has the disease would probably have differing experiences and advise. wink

GrannyH #683816 05/04/11 03:14 PM
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I don't have it yet
But i'm at great risk
And it scares the heck out of me
I have a friend who just lost a leg from it
And another that lost her eye sight
You may thing i would make some changes in my life, But i haven't yet
What am i waiting for ???

Rosie L
"Rosie" #684196 05/05/11 03:08 PM
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Rosie:

We are all guilty of not doing stuff we need to do. I know I need to watch what I eat, but so far have not (lol). But I listen to what my doctor says when I see each year.

Sometimes it takes us getting so sick that we finally pay attention. Hopefully we BOTH wise up before that happens smile

How is my Asia doing today?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  C. Kimura 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.