Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Thankfully, my encounter last summer was with a large buck on the nature walk. That's when I learned of the neighborhood bear.

I've been told it's a Momma Bear and she was seen with a cub a year or two ago. I'm glad there is a bear nearby, but I really didn't want to meet her last week. With all the people in her neck of the woods, she probably was not in the best of moods. I truly would regret an incident that would necessitate her relocation, or worse. I'm thankful she didn't join in with the festivities.

My Zuni bear stone doesn't have a heart line. It didn't really need one to grab my attention. It's the most beautiful shade of deep green. My favorite colors are greens and browns, the colors of the Creek Bear Clan. A Creek friend has told me several times he thinks I'm of the Bear Clan. My People were isolated in the swamp and lost our Clan system with assimilation over a century ago. However, if my friend is correct, Momma Bear and I should not have any issues.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Aw! that's right, it was a buck, but I thought I remembered the Momma Bear somewhere in that story.

Your Zuni bear must be very pretty and protecting.

How interesting about your heritage and the possible connection to the Bear Clan. Have you researched to find out more on this? What a wonderful story that would be.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Yes, it's taken over a year, but it's finally done. (maybe) Here's my husband's ribbon shirt.

It's a little hard to see, but the square is 3 layers of ribbon in shades of brown. This continues over the shoulders and the square is repeated on the back. The fringe is 3 ribbons and I did add ribbon fringe to the back.

The Vice Chief asked why I chose 3 ribbons for the fringe istead of 2 or 4. Three is a special number, my husband is the oldest of 3 children and so am I. Between us, we have 3 children. It needed to be done with 3s.

The skinny gray pin on the right is his Dolphins and signifies his submarine service. On the collar is his Navy Chief pin. The 5 ribbon strips on the bottom of the sleeve are his service "hash" marks/stripes. These represent his 20 years in the Navy.

After the Veteran's Song, the flag bearers and vets return to the East Gate of the Dance Circle and great each other. Welcome Home and Thank You are the standard fare. There was at least one young sailor in the bunch who responded to my husband "Thank you Chief."

As for the (maybe) I don't think the hash marks stand out enough. I was thinking of adding a thin dark brown ribbon down the middle. However, hubby is satisfied and I did want to recreate these somewhat accurately. On his uniform the stripes are gold, so the golden brown was a good fit. If I add the thin brown ribbon, they will stand out, but loose the accuracy. Beetle, can you help me out?

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Beautiful shirt, lcp. You did a wonderful job. Beetle will probably have some helpful tips for you on the thin brown ribbon placement.

You should be very proud of your creation.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Okay, I see the discussion. Just don't have access to the embedded pictures (due to workplace cyber-Nazi's); we are blocked from a lot of social & picture-sharing sites. Will get a look soonest from home access - no restrictions there. But may not be for a day or two with my being tied up in a meeting this evening.

-B-
"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children."
Okay, I got a peek from the home computer... Very nice shirt. I really like the vertical pattern because it gives it some character. If your husband likes it & is proud to don it, then you have made an excellent & noteworthy effort. It really blends into the motifs of the SE Atlantic tribes, and could go with the Desert SW any many other forums, as well.

I think they stand out as they are & it would take a Naval Service vet to know exactly what it meant - one for every four years, & gold (not scarlet) due to continued performance/conduct that meets Good Conduct Medal criteria. <Congrats & thank you to your vet for his outstanding services>

If you really wanted to highlight you could edge with very thin brown, or layer the goldish ribbon centered on top of a little bit wider brown ribbon (much like in the yoke square). All depends on how much effort you want to put in. Just my suggestions.

-B-
"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children."
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Thanks for the suggestions. I can't take credit for the fabric pattern, but do like it. This was the only shirt our vendor friends had to fit my husband when we needed it.

I've thought about it too much. My husband is satisfied as is. I need to accept his SAT rating (satisfactory completion) and get started on the sash.

I got the hash marks at about the right angle and separation, and you're correct. Only another Navy vet would notice them and understand. However, there are a lot of Navy vets at St. George, including the Tribal Chief! It met with his approval too, so I'm done.

As for the fingerweave sash, it must be completed before Green Corn, or I'll have to take it apart and start again. Now that's incentive for completion!

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
I agree with Beetle. That shirt is perfect for your beautiful work.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.