Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hello everyone... Gee what a miz day it is here in Johannesburg! We are really having some extra rain presently as we sneak past Autumn into an eary winter. Today having had one our famous highveldt thunder storms last night we are overcast, grey, drippy rain and cold (for us here in sunny South Africa) and I am not in my beloved garden. Ah well, my alternative is great as here I am on line with Bellaonline!

What is the weather doing down your way? Is it affecting your gardening? Are the flowers sighing or crying? Are the patterns the same and usual for this time of year or can you report different. Thanks Lestie

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
It's raining here in Northern Virginia - HARD. I pulled my plants in, didn't want them water logged :-)

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
D
Gecko
Gecko
D
The weather here is drizzly and wet. I don't have a garden, just a few azeala bushes. I've tried planting flowers and other flowering shrubs, but the deer eat everything. We are planning to build a deck this summer and I'm hoping to plant some flowers, tomatoes and herbs in containers where the deer can't get to them.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
I can only wish for rain! Here in Southern California, it will be hot, hot, hot. In the 90s. Containers get dried out very quickly.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
It has been pouring here too and tornado watches. There was a wine festival taking place but it was forced to shut down early due to the tornado watch.

Elephant
Elephant
It's 87 degrees and sunny with a mild breeze. Totally awesome weather for an outdoor workout. Walked this morning and walking again in a few hours. Swimming tomorrow!

Monica Neave ISSA Certified Fitness Therapist

Get Your Best Female Figure with the most overlooked workout strategy.

Burn more fat with Fatloss Workouts that work!

C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
Angie, where in the tornado alley do you live? I live in near Kansas City, and this time of year can always be exciting. Last Sunday we had lots of hail. The week was warm, and then it was 40 this morning and warmed to 65 today.

We are going to have warm weather next week, and all of my students will have Spring Fever and act like they have lost their last brain cells. I love them, but next week should be challenging. Stormy weather in my classroom!

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hello everyone, oh my, how the weather affects us all! Does anyone run around in the rain anymore? I remember as a kid taking flying leaps and splashing as many people as I could by jumping in the puddles. Still, listening to the plants growing is a good thing to do as is feeling holy because I have an excuse not to do any weeding. Lucky weeds. Lucky me.

Lestie

Container Gardening Site

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi Guys -

I thought I would bring this 2011 post forward and ask the same question today ...

What is the weather doing your way? And this time I am asking the question in February and not April.

Do you remember more about what you were doing then in your container gardens?

Tell us all please!

Here in Johannesburg we are having heavy rains to the extent that I am thinking of transplanting some garden-planted roses that have been in place for many many years, but are now taking a lot of strain from all the water and the poor drainage of the soil. Would that they were in containers that I could just move! Still maybe I can solve this problem in another way - any suggestions?

Ah well here too it's summertime and the weeding is easy; fish are jumpin' and my powder is dry tra la. I am a lucky fish for sure to have and live in such magnificent weather in my neck of these global woods.

Cheers now

Container Gardening Site

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Lestie, it in the low 20s and snowing. I'm in Central VA, USA.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi Angie,

I live in a part of the world where we do not get snow except on very rare occasions (like three or four times in 60 odd years!)

Like living in the north African desert regions in the heat, or 'snowbound' northern Scandinavia etc. I guess that person born to those weather conditions knows what living in them means from season to season.

Here we are so spoilt that we complain big time when the temps dip to 14C. We don't dress for 'the temp' or the cold, then grimace when the wind blows! Must say though, temps were really high for summer Jo'burg today - 34c-36C, it really was a day to keep cool inside.

Ah well!

Cheers now,

Container Gardening Site

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Whew 34c-36C is warm. I always think of 21C as perfect weather so 34C would be pretty HOT.

D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
It wasn't supposed to snow today, but it did. At least the tempurature inched over 20 degrees today, it's supposed to be almost 60 by Wednesday. Single digits to almost 60 in less then 7 days, weird...

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Yep guys, there is something certainly changing in weather patterns globally (Luckily very mildly in Johannesburg and surrounds)- even the trees get confused and are not sure on whether or not to drop leaves or come out in bloom. Our Jacarandas were blooming later this year and for some reason not in such profusion - or it may be that it was because I was not noticing until 'later on'

Our farmers have to plan very carefully these days too! Though that's just what I think only, as I have not spoken to anyone and I am not a farmer!

Cheers now

Container Gardening Site

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
It's 36 now and the ice on the neighborhood streets is beginning to melt. If it freezes again during the night, then the roads will be very slippery.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Overcast with occasional drizzles. Perfect for watering the containers on the patio. smile

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage
D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
Sunny but cold.....only about 30 degrees farenheit with a cold breeze. That is actually warmer than what it has been in the last few days. We had high temperatures around 16-20 degrees, with nights feeling like it was below zero with the wind chill factor. I long for warm spring weather and the ability to be out in nature without freezing. The cold can seem to get right into my bones and not leave.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Dear all,

Another concern during unseasonal rain and too much water is poor draining soils in small-space gardens and I am having to think about transplanting a couple of 'very old' rose bushes that are really taking strain and that I do not want to lose.

I will tell all how I solve this if there is a story to tell or something to be learnt but guess at this stage will 'just' replace the roses with some wet feet plant like American Pitcher Plants or so in containers so that I don't get caught again.

Do you have some suggestions for wet feet plants on your favourites list - please let me know if you do.

Cheers now

Last edited by Lestie - ContainerGardens; 01/27/13 03:13 PM.

Container Gardening Site

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Heat wave at 39. We'll see what tomorrow brings. I hear that on Tuesday the temperature is expected to be 60. Winter one day and spring the next.

C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
Lestie, the weather in Kansas has warmed up and most of our 20+ inches of snow has melted. Our backyard pond is full. The robins can find worms again; the snow made hunting for worms extremely difficult!

I hope that this has broken our drought cycle. Our parched earth needed the healing moisture.

Sandwiches
Reading

My EBook link.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
In the 30's, feels like low 20's and a few flurries this weekend.

They are suggesting much warmer weather during the week.

Yvonnie DuBose
Inspiration
A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
three innches of sow yesterday and flurries today. The sun is trying to peek out.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Heating up here. In the 30's (lol, last year it was in the 80's by now) and we have been promised that it will keep getting warmer.

I'd better start preparing my gardening plan.

Yvonnie DuBose
Inspiration
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Beautiful. Clear and sunny. I'm excited to revive my containers. They were neglected through the winter even though in California, our winters are mild so there's no excuse for my neglect!

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

The Dream Collective
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
60s here in Massachusetts
No snow on the ground , have my windows open smile

Rosie L
S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
Sunny, hot & 80+ degrees :-))

SADHANA GINDE, Indian Food Editor

BellaOnline Training Manager, BellaOnline Forum Admin, BellaOnine FB Admin :-)

Indian Food Website

Dont forget to sign up for the Indian Food Newsletter!
A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
It's in the low 80s here in Virginia today. It went from winter to summer in a week.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
50's in Chicago. Over the weekend we experienced weather in the 60's. Expecting rain all week.

Yvonnie DuBose
Inspiration
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
It is still 70 here. We are expecting strong storms, maybe tornadoes tonight. We also are told that it might rain an inch with flooding. Just Kansas in the springtime!

Sandwiches
Reading

My EBook link.

D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
It went from 50's just a day ago...my car registered 88 outside today, I'm hoping it was wrong...LOL...

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Connie, stay safe.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
rain, rain, rain, and warmer temps in Chicago. Its only warm when its raining. Otherwise, its 49 and below, and quite often windy and or cloudy frown

Good thing I enjoy rain.

Still haven't planted anything yet. Who knew containers and good soil cost so much.

Yvonnie DuBose
Inspiration
A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
For planters I checked out Ollies (a salavage and buy-out type store) or Tuesday Morning (a store specializing in buy-outs). They often offer nice looking planters for less. Earth Boxes are expensive but you can order what you need from that company and get high quality merchandise.

Originally Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired
rain, rain, rain, and warmer temps in Chicago. Its only warm when its raining. Otherwise, its 49 and below, and quite often windy and or cloudy frown

Good thing I enjoy rain.

Still haven't planted anything yet. Who knew containers and good soil cost so much.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Thanks Angie-

I went out today and bought plastic planters. I know there are many reasons to purchase wooden ones, but I opted for the price. Chicago's weather is pretty cool with a few weeks of scorching heat during the summer so, I am hoping my container garden will survive.

Never heard of Ollies. Will check on both.

Thanks again.

Yvonnie DuBose
Inspiration
A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Yvonne,

EarthBox.com - earth boxes are a gardening system. I purchased soil today and he told me to use new soil in the box that I have and I have a plastic planter too and will use that as well. The Earth Box uses a pipe that you insert in the corner and you water using the pipe so that it waters from below. A little different. I'll see if I can rig something up in the new unorthodox box. smile

We have scorching dry weather at times here. My peas have started coming up but it is already hot here.

We're having an heirloom tomato plant sale and I plan to purchase my tomatoes there.

Good luck with your garden.

Last edited by Angie; 04/14/13 04:22 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Thanks Angie-

I'll be starting the garden with my girls tomorrow. We bought seeds and soil. I'll start purchasing some small plants in stores as we go along.

Good luck to you too. Keep me posted on your garden.

I'll be in the forum looking for tips and advice along the way.

Yvonnie DuBose
Inspiration
N
N
I haven't been outside much lately. This month I only went outside twice. On April 2 because I had an appointment then a few days ago I took a little walk of less than ten minutes.

I get up too late so when I'm ready to walk it's dark outside. I love it when it's night but here there's not much light so it's dangerous walking especially when there's still ice and snow.

I could go at least on the back porch but here spiders can be found outside during the coldest days so since it's warmer here it's not a good idea.

I'm getting headaches at night and I know there are due to me being inside too much.

As for gardening we do have a garden but the people living here were planting plants, flowers and even one tree in it instead of vegetables and we are too lazy to clean it so we can use it.

C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
After 3 days above 70 degrees F., it snowed here! There weren't just a few little flakes. The snow came down for hours. Now, it's cold and drizzly.

Sandwiches
Reading

My EBook link.

C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
After 3 days above 70 degrees F., it snowed here! There weren't just a few little flakes. The snow came down for hours. Now, it's cold and drizzly.

Sandwiches
Reading

My EBook link.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
BRRRR, I had watched the weather channel and saw that the mid west was having a spring snow storm - to the tune of 6-9 inches.

We had some very hot mid 80s-90 degree days but now we are paying them back with early spring weather - 55+ to 70s. We've had some good moisture too.

I planted a Box Car Willie Tomato plant today. I have six plants total.

N
N
We used to get snow here on that time of year but it has not happened since many years. The last time was during my last year of school in April, it was a beautiful day and before school ended there was several feet of snow outside. Me and someone else were making fun of a friend of ours when we got to school because she had boots on, well, she was the one laughing at us when we were waiting for our bus. When I was young we normall had snow everywhere (and LOTS of it) from at least October to April. Now we are lucky if we do not see the grass anymore when the new year arrives.

I did not went outside today but apparently it was hot. The day before there was lots of wind and it was very comfortable to walk (i even got cold because i did not put a big enough sweatshirt on..the day before my sweatshirt was too big so i got hot when walking...hopefully i will put the right amount of clothes for the next walk...lol).

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
It's in the high 40s today with a breeze. For this time of year, it's cold here.

N
N
Do not know the temperature (we dont have a thermometer) but it is hot today. About an hour ago the sun was bright and then suddendly it became less bright.

N
N
It is hot today. I ran some errands and I had a sweatshirt on. I was a little too dressed for that weather but the only time I was too hot was after all my errands when I was in the car with my dad waiting for my mom.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
It was damp and cool today and tonight it rained cats and dogs.

N
N
Another hot day today but the sun is less bright and there's lots of wind.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Cool again today but the sun did come out late in the day. Now we're expecting thunderstorms and possibly some hail.

N
N
It is hot today but again there's wind. Hopefully we will soon get rain because we haven't had any in a while and the trees need some. The leave buds are there (have been for a few days) but they are not opening (today they look like they want to open).

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
It's 52F this morning and we had a torrential rain last night.

N
N
It rained last night and today too but I was still in bed. Leaves are starting to get out. Today it was a wonderful weather, I took a walk with a long sleeve and a coat and it was comfortable. Cloudy with wind. I had the wind in my face when I was coming back home and my ears hurt from it.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
It was a beautiful day here - started out in the high 50s and probably got as high as 75 and no breeze. That sounds like a great idea - take a walk.

N
N
Today it is cloudy and almost cold. It would of been awesome to take a long walk but I had things to do in the house and I woke up late.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Nancy, it was gorgeous today. It was sunny and in the 70s. I need to do some shopping tomorrow but I need to work in the garden. But shopping will win because some rain is expected.

N
N
It started to rain last night and it has not stop often since then. Now it is mostly little drops when it rains. It is very cold too. I opened just a little crack of one of my window before going to bed last night and when I woke up it was cold in my bedroom. But I love days like that so I am not complaining. And I again would of loved to walk but I woke up late and had things to do in the house.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
There have been storms all around me today but here at my house it is warm and sunny. I worked a little bit in my garden and planted my Christmas Poinsettia. It will grow to be quite a bush during the summer. I do not take it inside in the fall.

N
N
It is still raining, cold and cloudy here. I love it :-D but it's a shame that I am still getting up late and having to do things in the house :-( these days are awesome for walking!

N
N
The rain stopped a few hours ago (got up after 10:00 and it was not raining), it was cloudy when I left at noon for Matane (about 1 hour 30 minutes away) and when I came back it was sunny. Cold and windy still. In Matane the sun was out but it was colder than here.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
We have a frost warning for Central Virginia and the western part of the state is preparing for a frost. BRRRR!

N
N
The sun is out today and that's all I can say since I have not been outside and there are no windows opened (its not hot in the house so my guess is that its not hot outside).

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A

Sunny but cool today. Long sleeves and a sweater.

N
N
It is a nice day today. I ran some errands with a sweatshirt and was comfortable, with the wind I almost got cold once or twice. The sun is out but the wind makes it comfortable.

Q
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Q
Blue skies, sunshine, and quite warm here in Santa Cruz. Delightful!

Caitlin McLeod
Home
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Same here in Orange, Caitlin. Too bad that I can see it only through a window as I work on my books.

Well, I was able to enjoy the beauty when I went for my morning walk at least. smile

G
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
G
It's been cloudy with rain here today. But now the sun is trying to peak out. Our temps have been in the 30's at night and today was only 60 degrees.

Tomorrow suppose to be 78. It's New England alright. Wait a moment the weather will change. But the main thing is that I love it for me being from Fla. where it's hot and muggy.

Northeast is cooler and dryer.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
It was a beautiful day today; in fact, it was colder in my house than it was outside. smile

N
N
It started raining yesterday (late afternoon or night...cant remember exactly) and it has not stopped (that i know of) but most of the times it's just little drops. I had to go to the post office today (less than 5 minutes walk) and it was very comfortable outside but with a coat. It's a shame that it was passed 16:00 because I could of had a nice long walk. Last night I opened one of my windows a little bit and it was not cold when I got up.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
It reached 90 today. There is a thunderstorm warning for the area. We sure could use some rain right now.

Q
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Q
It would be lovely if everyone said where they are writing weather reports from!

Caitlin McLeod
Home
N
N
My exact location is shown under my name.

BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Angie, where are you reporting from? LOL

Here in The Netherlands the past 2 days have alternated between rain and drizzle - we're under a heavy cloud layer now so it is misting but that could lift for a while later for some late sun. By the way, we're at the 52nd latitude in north western Europe so it is daylight both when I go to bed and wake up. 10pm and 6am. Temp is about 54 F.

BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BTW - I have not moved my summer veg in pots out of the greenhouse yet - too cold at night and still heavy rain and some hail.

N
N
It is raining and cold here today. I went out with a long sleeve and half of my walking Winter coat but that walk was not for long because I was too cold, if I would of added back the inside of the coat I would of been comfortable. My mom told me that it was cold but I did not think she meant for a Winter coat. But last night I opened a little one of my windows and I did not get cold at all.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Here in Central Virginia the weather was gorgeous. My grandson and I went to Henricus Historical Park and enjoyed ourselves immensley.

It's in the 80s today.

N
N
I haven't been outside today but my mom said that it is less cold today. No rain and it was cloudy until about an half hour ago when the sun came out, it will soon go away since it's 18:29 now. Looks like the rest of the flies have arrived, when I got up there were many on the door of the uptair's balcony, these little things are very annoying (they mostly love ears) and bite!

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
We had a storm last night (I essentially slept through it but my mother in law said it was a real thunderboomer). It was over cast today and cool. Magnolia Grange museum house had their first arts festival today and I checked it out before any bad weather this afternoon. There were about ten artisans there today. It was fun. I ran errands and on my way home around Noon it began drizzling. We just had a downpour a little while ago.

N
N
It's a beautiful day here. The sun is out but there's wind and it is far from being hot. I went to sit on the front porch this afternoon with a big sweatshirt on and I almost got back inside to put another shirt under it because it was almost cold but stayed there and got comfortable in a few minutes.

N
N
Today it has been cloudy with rain and it is cold.

N
N
It's a beautiful day here. Sunny but it is not hot.

C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C

Here in Kansas the air feels strange, like there is a storm on the way. We are not predicted for storms for a couple of days, but the air is that weird hot/cold that means storm to me.

Keep the people in Oklahoma in your thoughts and prayers. As a teacher who has hunkered down with kids in a first floor hallway for an hour and a half while sirens went off, I can't imagine how horrible that tornado must have been.

Sandwiches
Reading

My EBook link.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
It was a monster of a storm. The photos of the devastation area are incredible.

N
N
Today it was cold and cloudy. It started raining late afternoon, I think it has stopped now.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
It was around 80 today and beautiful.

N
N
It is cold here today and cloudy with rain that started last night.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
It's beautiful here today but we had a brief shower - more like a huge downpour for just a few minutes.

N
N
At one point last night it stopped raining and it started raining again before I took my shower. Today it has been cloudy and raining. I can't say if it was cold or not since I did not get to go outside and I did not asked my parents about it.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
It was rainy last night and the temperature dropped to the high 40s and I don't think it got much higher than the mid 60s today and it rained which made it feel even colder. The sun came out late this afternoon and then it felt warmer. The sun always makes you feel better.

N
N
Rainy last night and it was still rainy when I got to bed. It did stopped when I was in bed and when I got up but it started again not soon after. No sun today.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
The weather is very unseasonable. It is downright chilly here today but we did not have any rain.

N
N
It is again raining, cloudy and cold today. It's a shame that I keep getting to bed and getting up late because for me this is the perfect weather, I could have lots of nice long walks!

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
A bit chilly here and I heard that there was snow in New England. YIKES and it is the end of May.

N
N
It stopped raining but it's still cloudy and cold.

N
N
It is sunny today. I soon will go to Matane, I bet it will be windy there since it's always windy because it's right next to a sea. I'll wear a big sweatshirt like the last time, I was comfortable then and since June is coming it's supposed to be less cold so I should be okay.

BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Here it went up to 70F. today with sun, and almost as high yesterday, so I set the zuchini plants out in the garden - only tomatoes will remain in the greenhouse.

N
N
It is sunny today, I'll know about the temperature in a few minutes when I'll go out for some errands and an appointment.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
It's going to be in the mid 80s today.

N
N
Last night when I was preparing for my exercise and shower it was raining but when I got to bed it had stopped. Today it is cloudy and sometimes it's raining. There's a little wind that is a little cold and that's a good thing because it's humid.

N
N
Last night it rained a little, I did not hear it I just saw the drops in windows before going to bed. Today it is cloudy and hot. It also rained a little (just a few drops for like a minute or so) earlier.

N
N
Today it is cold, cloudy and sometimes it rains. It was also raining off and on last night.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
You've had some cold, wet weather. It was over 90 here today. HOT!!!

N
N
Last night starting around midnight there was a lot of rain, it all stopped after I fell asleep. Today it is cold, cloudy, there's a little wind and sometimes it rains.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Overcast all day long which will be good for helping to contain that California wildfire.

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

The Dream Collective
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
N
N
Last night it rained almost all the times and when I got up (after 13:00) it was (still is) sunny. I haven't been outside so I cannot say if it's hot or not, I have a window opened where I am and the room is not cold.

N
N
Today it is cloudy with sometimes the sun coming up enough for a while for the clouds to disappear, it is also windy.

N
N
Sunny and windy today.

N
N
Sunny and windy again today.

N
N
Today it is again sunny and windy. I went out to run some errands with a hooded sweatshirt and I was comfortable so it was not hot today (except in the car when my parents went to see my grandmom a little while before our errands...did not go in because her dog loses his fur a lot and my hooded sweatshirt is 1 i love very much and it cost a lot of money so decided not to have fur on it).

N
N
Today it rained for many hours and it was cloudy. I did not go outside but my mom who worked outside told me that it was far from hot.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Zesty Lestie please make your sunny ways reappear. It has been dim, dull, dark, boring and perpetually overcast since you have been gone. Our basil, thyme and other herbs require your green thumb wisdom and your cheerfully energetic disposition. THERE IS NO SUN IN MUDVILLE BECAUSE THE MIGHTY LESTIE HAS BEEN AWAY!

A
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
A
Wet and grey in Paris today and hope it clears up for the Men's tennis final at the French Open later today.

African Dawn (Editor)
African Culture Bella Online
N
N
It rained for many hours here today, it stopped close to noon and it was cloudy until not too long ago when the sun came out (this often happens here....cloudy and the sun coming out not long before night comes).

Koala
Koala
Dear Nancy,

In Mont tremblant Quebec ,where I reside ,today it was 24 degrees ,no humidity.

In our region ,you do not do your garden or have hanging flower baskets before june the 24 th,because of the frost during the nite.

yours

loong

N
N
Loong,

Here too we have to wait until late June to plant flowers and do a garden.

Looks like we'll be lazy again this year and not use the garden that came with the house. We are three in the house and none of us ever take the first step to get the garden ready. I almost did it last year but my spider phobia stopped me. For the first two years my mom planted flowers all over the yard and in a box in front of the house but for the second year in a row we don't have the money, we do have flowers that come back every year and she takes care of them. My spider phobia keeps me from doing outside work.

N
N
Today it is sunny. Last night and when I went to bed (after 5:00) there was a fog.

N
N
Today it is cloudy. I haven't been outside so I cannot say about the weather.

N
N
Today it is sunny and windy, I cannot talk about the temperature because I have not been outside.

N
N
Today it is sunny, I again did not go outside so still can't talk about the temperature.

N
N
Today it is sunny and windy, I haven't been outside so cannot talk about the temperature.

N
N
Again I have not been outside so I cannot talk about the temperature. It is windy and sunny today.

N
N
Today it is cloudy and windy (again did not went outside today).

N
N
Not long after I wrote my post here yesterday it started raining, when I went to bed it had stopped and when I got up it had started raining again. Now it has stopped again. I haven't been outside again (not going outside for many days is probably whey i have been having these huge headaches lately).

N
N
Last night it rained. Today it's cloudy and raining on and off.

N
N
Today it is sunny.

N
N
Today it is sunny and windy.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
For those of you that did not see or perhaps do not remember, the following is Lestie's original post on this thread: Hello everyone... Gee what a miz day it is here in Johannesburg! We are really having some extra rain presently as we sneak past Autumn into an eary winter. Today having had one our famous highveldt thunder storms last night we are overcast, grey, drippy rain and cold (for us here in sunny South Africa) and I am not in my beloved garden. Ah well, my alternative is great as here I am on line with Bellaonline! What is the weather doing down your way? Is it affecting your gardening? Are the flowers sighing or crying? Are the patterns the same and usual for this time of year or can you report different. Thanks Lestie

N
N
Until Lestie asks us to stop only talking about the weather I will continue coming here everyday and talk about the weather where I live. If the person who made this post do not complain to us then there is no problem.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Lestie unfortunately has not posted anything since 3/2/2013 and perhaps there is some issue/problem that has prevented her from doing so and from moderating her forum/thread. In respect for the intent of her thread, it would be appreciated if those posting would honor that intent.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Today the sun is more intense that it has been and I grew concerned about my containers drying out. Thanks to Lestie's suggestion about lining my containers with cardboard and newspaper to prevent moisture loss, the containers are doing well here.

My chives, green scallions, Italian parsley and mint are survived several days of neglect without wilting or drying out!

Plumeria is doing fabulously.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

A magical mystery tour is probably a diplomatic way of describing the last weeks of weather in Germany.

Torrential rain caused flooding, broken dikes and mass evacuations, the mess is still being cleared up and will continue for months.

In the last days it has been so hot that not only animals and human beings but also some roads have buckled under the strain............that's the photo and there are quite a few that look very similar.

Now there are thunderstorms, some with huge hail stones. Subways, rail tracks and roads are flooded, trees are collapsing, homes struck by lighting, airports affected, thousands of firefighters, still recovering from fighting the floods, are now battling new elements...........and that is only some of it. There are even worries flooding will return.

It is time for Summer Solstice and Midsummer in this part of the world, but it's also a case of "Wo bliebt der Sommer", (where is summer), so really not typical June weather.

However as the winter was the longest and coldest since records began, it looks as if 2013 will turn out to be one of those years where everyone, even those not usually into conversations about the weather, will look back and say "Do you remember 2013, wow that weather was something".

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Here in North Holland it is raining and has been all night - thankfully, we are not flooded ...

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
In our part of Western Pacific Mexico where the "rainy season" supposedly begins in May, since mid-May we have only experienced three rainfalls of any significance. Consequently, my wife, Maria, the day-to-overseer of her garden, has to do much more plant maintenance and watering than normal. Perhaps due to too much heat and wind, some of her potted herbs like thyme, rosemary and rue are not doing so well- the mint and lemon grass are fine though. Witty and wise Zesty Lestie, where are you when we need you the most? Sending a plethora of good vibes your way...

N
N
Last night and early morning it rained. Today it is sunny and windy. Normally flies are not supposed to come out and bother you when it's windy and not hot (my mom said its almost cold here today...still havent been outside...i thinks its been 2 weeks if not more) but here they don't care, they even come out during Winter! My mom was out for just a few minutes and she has bites all over her ears and face. Since moving here I have not been bitten but they always go for my ears, I often saw flies making u-turns straight for my ears (they do the same for my mom but to bite her)!

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
For those of you who want to make posts about the weather where you live without relating that information vis-a-vis your container gardens or general gardens a much more appropriate place to do so is on the WEATHER FORUM which can be located in the NEWS AND POLITICS forum area. The Weather Site does not currently have an editor or forum moderator so anybody can start their own forum thread there about their local weather conditions or any other weather topic of interest to them. Once again, as Lestie's friend I find it necessary to reiterate that her intent for this thread was to have a discussion about weather and its effects on container gardens and other gardening, not just what the weather is in one's area. To do otherwise is disrespectful to her.

Last edited by LanceB.- Alter Ego; 06/21/13 01:12 PM.
N
N
Okay Lance you win. I just find it weird that you did not mentioned anything when you posted here after Francine and Susan talked about the weather without talking about gardening at the same time, I guess you don't like me. Whatever, I never drove myself crazy about what people think of me especially when it's on the internet and I won't start now (if thats what you want to do you must do much better because ive been called every names there are on the internet and was bullied and even threaten)!

My guess would be that Lestie would be happy to see that her post was alive with people talking about the weather in their own part of the world. But hey since you think for her we don't have to find her and ask her.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Well must admit that perhaps I should have added that as so much has been under water feet deep in places, sometimes for weeks, it is hard to know what is going to take place in the gardens, at least in the near future.

Whereas containers have been both battered and waterlogged, and whatever remained is being devoured by slugs and snails.

It is no use putting down little bowls of beer for them to have a 'merry' time and fall asleep because they have already drunk so much water they are totally disinterested in anything extra if it happens to be liquid.

It will be quite some weeks, if not months, before it will be possible to see how gardens and garden containers recover in some areas of Germany.

Containers will probably have to be completely renewed, while window boxes etc. will obviously not be such a problem once the weather improves, as in Germany they are anyway changed with the seasons.

Suffice to say crops have been ruined, the potato is very popular in Germany, for everything from chips to dumplings, and they has taken a real beating for example. At the moment it looks to be a very thin harvest this year, from gardens and garden containers as well as farms.

But who knows what the future holds.

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
We've had rain on the east coast of the US but not heavy flooding. The midwest has had flooding and tornadoes. The weather is out of sorts. Everything is expensive here because certain areas had unexpected freezes which destroyed the crops. I hope you recover Francine. It is terrible when the weather plays havoc with crops and as a result the food supply.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Gosh, Francine. That is terrible news. I'm so sorry to hear this. Perhaps a few containers for yourself can provide a little garden cheer as the rest of the region dries out.

Also Angie, I've been following all those tornadoes and stormy weather in the Midwest. It was just unbelievable how you all got hit by storm after storm. What is with all this crazy weather?

To Nancy, please don't take what Lance said personally. It's not about you. How can he not like you when he doesn't know you? People sometimes like to "protect" a favorite forum and keep it purely about the forum topic. Others are more casual and like everyone to pop in.

I like your presence in the forums. All of them. Especially mine. smile

Where is Lestie anyway? Hope she's all right.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Have just caught up with your comment Nancy, sorry. I missed it somehow and only saw the one from Lance.

Susan lives in the Netherlands which as everyone knows is below sea level, therefore rain or flooding in any quantity causes problems, including with gardens, so actually her post was relevant to the topic. She is also someone who always contributes enormously to the forum with interesting informative posts, and this was another one.

Up until her post I had no idea how things were there at the moment, but can now picture the situation.

Am not a frequent poster, normally “MIA” would sum it up, nevertheless my contribution to the Container Gardening 'Weather' thread was made to a background of several posts which have been on the GC site for some time, detailing the flooding problems in Germany during the last weeks.

In the areas involved, sometimes under 20+ feet of water, these have obviously affected everything and gardens were/are the least of their problems.

People and animals have died, homes have been destroyed, livelihoods wiped out.

The Container Garden post relating to Germany was pointing out that the conditions, which at the time of the post were a combination of flooding with intense heat, are in certain areas at least not making it easy to go back to something as enjoyable as being able to appreciate the color and scent garden containers can bring to a garden, or terrace, during the summer months. Despite definite improvements.

Don't think Lance was aiming at you particularly Nancy, he was simply stating a fact.

Knowing we all live in different parts of the world our brilliant Lestie thought up this thread to see how the weather was affecting gardens, and especially any containers we had, in our particular areas. To give us some form of connection, despite the fact that we are all rather far-flung.

Well in some, not all, regions of Germany both gardens and containers are way down on folks lists of priorities at the moment, and unfortunately likely to remain so for some time.

Last edited by Francine - German Culture; 06/22/13 03:36 AM.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Preparing for a heat wave. Better soak my containers now!

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

Moderated by  Lestie - ContainerGardens 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.