Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14
N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
Last night and early morning it rained. Today it is sunny and windy. Normally flies are not supposed to come out and bother you when it's windy and not hot (my mom said its almost cold here today...still havent been outside...i thinks its been 2 weeks if not more) but here they don't care, they even come out during Winter! My mom was out for just a few minutes and she has bites all over her ears and face. Since moving here I have not been bitten but they always go for my ears, I often saw flies making u-turns straight for my ears (they do the same for my mom but to bite her)!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
For those of you who want to make posts about the weather where you live without relating that information vis-a-vis your container gardens or general gardens a much more appropriate place to do so is on the WEATHER FORUM which can be located in the NEWS AND POLITICS forum area. The Weather Site does not currently have an editor or forum moderator so anybody can start their own forum thread there about their local weather conditions or any other weather topic of interest to them. Once again, as Lestie's friend I find it necessary to reiterate that her intent for this thread was to have a discussion about weather and its effects on container gardens and other gardening, not just what the weather is in one's area. To do otherwise is disrespectful to her.

Last edited by LanceB.- Alter Ego; 06/21/13 01:12 PM.
N
N
Okay Lance you win. I just find it weird that you did not mentioned anything when you posted here after Francine and Susan talked about the weather without talking about gardening at the same time, I guess you don't like me. Whatever, I never drove myself crazy about what people think of me especially when it's on the internet and I won't start now (if thats what you want to do you must do much better because ive been called every names there are on the internet and was bullied and even threaten)!

My guess would be that Lestie would be happy to see that her post was alive with people talking about the weather in their own part of the world. But hey since you think for her we don't have to find her and ask her.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Well must admit that perhaps I should have added that as so much has been under water feet deep in places, sometimes for weeks, it is hard to know what is going to take place in the gardens, at least in the near future.

Whereas containers have been both battered and waterlogged, and whatever remained is being devoured by slugs and snails.

It is no use putting down little bowls of beer for them to have a 'merry' time and fall asleep because they have already drunk so much water they are totally disinterested in anything extra if it happens to be liquid.

It will be quite some weeks, if not months, before it will be possible to see how gardens and garden containers recover in some areas of Germany.

Containers will probably have to be completely renewed, while window boxes etc. will obviously not be such a problem once the weather improves, as in Germany they are anyway changed with the seasons.

Suffice to say crops have been ruined, the potato is very popular in Germany, for everything from chips to dumplings, and they has taken a real beating for example. At the moment it looks to be a very thin harvest this year, from gardens and garden containers as well as farms.

But who knows what the future holds.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
We've had rain on the east coast of the US but not heavy flooding. The midwest has had flooding and tornadoes. The weather is out of sorts. Everything is expensive here because certain areas had unexpected freezes which destroyed the crops. I hope you recover Francine. It is terrible when the weather plays havoc with crops and as a result the food supply.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Gosh, Francine. That is terrible news. I'm so sorry to hear this. Perhaps a few containers for yourself can provide a little garden cheer as the rest of the region dries out.

Also Angie, I've been following all those tornadoes and stormy weather in the Midwest. It was just unbelievable how you all got hit by storm after storm. What is with all this crazy weather?

To Nancy, please don't take what Lance said personally. It's not about you. How can he not like you when he doesn't know you? People sometimes like to "protect" a favorite forum and keep it purely about the forum topic. Others are more casual and like everyone to pop in.

I like your presence in the forums. All of them. Especially mine. smile

Where is Lestie anyway? Hope she's all right.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Have just caught up with your comment Nancy, sorry. I missed it somehow and only saw the one from Lance.

Susan lives in the Netherlands which as everyone knows is below sea level, therefore rain or flooding in any quantity causes problems, including with gardens, so actually her post was relevant to the topic. She is also someone who always contributes enormously to the forum with interesting informative posts, and this was another one.

Up until her post I had no idea how things were there at the moment, but can now picture the situation.

Am not a frequent poster, normally “MIA” would sum it up, nevertheless my contribution to the Container Gardening 'Weather' thread was made to a background of several posts which have been on the GC site for some time, detailing the flooding problems in Germany during the last weeks.

In the areas involved, sometimes under 20+ feet of water, these have obviously affected everything and gardens were/are the least of their problems.

People and animals have died, homes have been destroyed, livelihoods wiped out.

The Container Garden post relating to Germany was pointing out that the conditions, which at the time of the post were a combination of flooding with intense heat, are in certain areas at least not making it easy to go back to something as enjoyable as being able to appreciate the color and scent garden containers can bring to a garden, or terrace, during the summer months. Despite definite improvements.

Don't think Lance was aiming at you particularly Nancy, he was simply stating a fact.

Knowing we all live in different parts of the world our brilliant Lestie thought up this thread to see how the weather was affecting gardens, and especially any containers we had, in our particular areas. To give us some form of connection, despite the fact that we are all rather far-flung.

Well in some, not all, regions of Germany both gardens and containers are way down on folks lists of priorities at the moment, and unfortunately likely to remain so for some time.

Last edited by Francine - German Culture; 06/22/13 03:36 AM.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Preparing for a heat wave. Better soak my containers now!

Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14

Moderated by  Lestie - ContainerGardens 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.