logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#132443 01/16/03 07:01 PM
di_800 Offline OP
OP Offline
I do hope that someday the Powers That Be will get hold of their senses again and realize that political correctness just doesn't work.
It started out as a response to outmoded thinking and now it has turned into a sort of mind controll that refuses to allow for individuality.
The BBC is the worst offender. Their print and broadcast news items are so biased that it's not worth reading or listening to them if you really want to know what's going on.
The social workers, the psychologists, and the bleeding hearts just can't see that their coddling of criminals, terrorists, and underachievers just doesn't work. Instead of more coddling, I think that more accountability is needed.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
#132444 06/15/03 03:52 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new to the message boards, and I'd just like to say this:

If you try to be patriotic in any way in England, ie- put a miniature Union Jack flag up on the desk, know the words of "God save the Queen", admit you're proud to be English, you get people asking you "Are you a member of the National Front?"

Am I right in saying that Americans can be patriotic, and Not be accused of being a member of their National Nazi party?

The only time we're allowed to be patriotic is when the football world cup is taking part. It's sad that we can only be proud to be English during a contest marred by hooligans and thugs.

#132445 06/16/03 06:57 PM
Yeah, some sick society is the English one (know that by experience) ... it's a pity that ones that once were an Empire are now noone knows what, but something not too good.

Americans are patriots mostly from what I've seen and heard, you can't take it from them. This feeling is developed from the very childhood and kept alive all the time. That is good for the nation.

#132446 06/17/03 03:53 PM
Interesting subject. I certainly think the English should have the right to display the
flag where ever they choose. I wonder if maybe
part of the problem is the thought behind the
European ....... and the common currance. The
blending of the cultures is nice,but does not
promote tradition or heritage or individuality.
One poster stated that the only times English are
encouraged to show patriotism is during soccer
games,but I think one could include public appearances by the Queen. Still,this is not
enough. As mentioned,things are a little different here in America. During my generation,
boys were taught that freedom isn't free,and that
to die for one's country is an honor. Girls were
taught to be supportive also,and played a huge
part in WW2 by manning the factories needed to support the troops in the field. Sure,we had women soldiers who played very important roles,and this is more true today than ever. One
thing that America has going for the patriotism
wise is that we have a yearly celebration celebrating our independance which brought about
our freedoms and rights. Of course I am talking
about our 4th of July celebration,a top 4 holiday
for us along with Christmas,Easter,and Thanksgiving,and nearly everyone gets theses days
off. Also,leading up to our celebration of July 4th is a holiday we call flag day...a day inwhich
everyone is encouraged to display an America flag
in a respectful way. And just so that we do not forget the fallen heros who help make and/or keep
our country free..there is Veterans Day to honor
those who have served in our armed forces,and Memorial Day to honor those who have passed.
Adversity seems to encourage patriotism here in
America ,like when the stores could not keep
a supply of flags due to the high demand after the terriosts attacks on Sept 11. The flag and
our patriotism is something we Americans have in
common,and can rally around in times of trouble.
Sorry this reply was so long. I hope for a free
world.

#132447 10/17/03 12:54 PM
di_800 Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok, so the concensus of opinion is that each country should fly their flag without anyone telling them otherwise.
Now, how do we get it done?

#132448 12/27/03 07:27 AM
Parakeet
Parakeet
Simple. When you put the flag up and someone complains, you tell them in no uncertain words that the flag is flying because you are an 'Englishman' and proud of it. You show your friends and neighbors you honor your nation. You kiss the ground you walk on as free English soil.!!!
Since they are complaining, what flag do they show allegiance to? viking :rolling:

#132449 01/30/04 03:28 PM
Gecko
Gecko
What, people complain over that in England? In USA, at the moment, it's very good taste to drive a car with a little flag hanging off the antenna, blaring the national athem on the speakers. (I'm exaggerating, of course.)

IMHO they have no grounds to complain anyhow. It's a privacy issue. I do what I want with my flag.

If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!
di_800 #610662 07/13/10 11:40 PM
V
V
Hi, BBC Proms are eight week continuous concert presented at the Albert hall in South Kensington, London.Check the below link for more details... [url=http://www.altiusdirectory.com/UK/bbc-proms.php]BBC Proms 2010[/url]

Last edited by vinay8889; 07/13/10 11:42 PM.
vinay8889 #678417 04/14/11 11:32 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I didn't know anyone had complained about flags - it's getting ridiculous over here - we have so many immigrants that everyones scared to say boo to a ghost incase someone, somewhere, gets "upset" or "offended." It's PC gone crazy.

On the other hand I do think the USA can go over the top - though I do admire it.

I wish this country was more patriotic - the only thing to do is get your flag and fly it high. Why on Earth wouldn't we anyway? It's the U.K - it's ridiculous not to. If someone doesn't like it - they know where to go.

I'm buying a flag tommorow LOL smile

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
"Whatever you do, don't - fall - asleep!"
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Good for you, Steve! Fly the Red Dragon!!!

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Sarah - English Culture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.