Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
How do you tell your kids if you've been diagnosed with cancer? Should you tell the whole truth, and nothing but the truth? Or is it better to share information on a need-to-know basis? This week's article How Do I Tell My Kids I Have Breast Cancer? offers some ideas.

If you've been down this path, how did you handle it? What specific things did you find most helpful?

Gail Armanini, Editor
Breast Cancer Site *** Breast Cancer Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
Tiger
Hey Gail, there is really no right way to do this. My heart goes out to anyone that has to do this!

Koala
Koala
I had to tell my children I had breast cancer, I remember it being a rather natural conversation. They didn't freak out. I was always close to them. Considering I found out via phone conversation the night before I went into the hospital for a double radical there wasn't much time to do any child psychology research.

The worst thing I had to tell one of my children is that the other one had died. That was the second worst moment of my life. The first being my son's death earlier in the day. I was lucky because my daughter had spent the night with a close friend. She babysat her son. My friend was a nurse working the night shift. I had time to deal. I didn't have time to deal with the breast cancer at all. In fact, I was told it was pretty remote that it was cancer. I didn't know until the surgeon called that night.

Tiger
Tiger
Hats off to you Diane - you are one STRONG lady. I have not had breast cancer or lost a child (have one), but could imagine how I would feel. Thanks for sharing with us.

Originally Posted By: Diana-Exotic Pets Editor
I had to tell my children I had breast cancer, I remember it being a rather natural conversation. They didn't freak out. I was always close to them. Considering I found out via phone conversation the night before I went into the hospital for a double radical there wasn't much time to do any child psychology research.

The worst thing I had to tell one of my children is that the other one had died. That was the second worst moment of my life. The first being my son's death earlier in the day. I was lucky because my daughter had spent the night with a close friend. She babysat her son. My friend was a nurse working the night shift. I had time to deal. I didn't have time to deal with the breast cancer at all. In fact, I was told it was pretty remote that it was cancer. I didn't know until the surgeon called that night.

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Diana,

I'm so sorry for your devastating loss, and am awed by your courage. Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. It's so important for others to know they are not alone, no matter how lonely they might feel.

Gail

Gail Armanini, Editor
J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Originally Posted By: Gail A - Breast Cancer Ed
How do you tell your kids if you've been diagnosed with cancer? Should you tell the whole truth, and nothing but the truth? Or is it better to share information on a need-to-know basis? This week's article How Do I Tell My Kids I Have Breast Cancer? offers some ideas...
Hi Gail, lovely article! I particularly liked the section 'Age Appropriate Discussions' and how you divided that into what and how you would tell different age-groups. (JOY)

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Thank you Joy smile. Learning you have breast cancer and having to tell your family is hard enough. When you are still raising your children and have to tell them, it's heartbreaking.

Gail Armanini, Editor
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
Thank you for writing a great guide on how to tell kids that you have breast cancer. My mom had older kids, 30s, 40s, and 60s when she had to tell us. It had been one of her lifelong fears.

We tried to offer the support that she needed.

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
It's so good you could be there for your mom ...

Gail Armanini, Editor

Moderated by  Gail A - AW&BC Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.