Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Linda19 Offline OP
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
I have read this book several times and the follow up, The Apple, so I am hoping that the series is as good as the book.

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0107ry0/The_Crimson_Petal_and_the_White_Episode_1/

Drama based on the bestselling Victorian-set novel by Michel Faber. William Rackham, tormented by debt and an unstable wife, finds solace in young prostitute Sugar.

Linda Heywood

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Linda19 Offline OP
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Okay so far it is true to the book.

The BBC is also showing the film Perfume which is a very good adaptation of the book by German writer Patrick S�skind.

Linda Heywood

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
I can't abide 'Perfume - The Story of a Murderer' - the film.

I find it to be gratuitous, plodding - though in the guise of profound - and a waste of good actors. Alan Rickman can do anything, as far as I'm concerned - I just love him, but I must admit his appearance in this vile display was quite a stretch.

Yeah, really - I dislike - OK, disdain - it that much. Why should we all be happy to go along with this kind of film - serial psychopath versus (soon to be dead) virgin (s), with no grace or invention, though laden with pretension.

Just vile.

Last edited by Eileen Brit TV; 04/09/11 12:52 PM.

Eileen O�Sullivan
BritishTelevision Ed
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
...oh, and I'm currently watching 'Crimson' with a view to writing about it this evening - so watch this space!! smile

Last edited by Eileen Brit TV; 04/09/11 12:48 PM.

Eileen O�Sullivan
BritishTelevision Ed
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
We're still watching --

I thought the TV series did well with the scenery and costumes and actors but underneath all that the story seemed hollow.

Yes, it ticked all the boxes, was faithful to the book, as far as possible that 4 hours could do a 900 page novel, but I was unmoved ...*

The Apple is discounted on Kindle and I am reading it at the moment.

*I am preferring the machinations in Spartacus!!

Peter F May, Wine Editor
Wine Website
WineForum
My Book
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark

As promised on here - I wrote about this drama, here -

The Crimson Petal and the White - BBC Drama

The drama's finished now and I felt the ending was disappointing - threads left untied all over the place. Not sure if the book was this open ended as I haven't read it, but having relaxed into it I was just enjoying the drama and it seemed to end abruptly.

What did anyone else think? smile

Last edited by Eileen Brit TV; 04/30/11 12:24 PM.

Eileen O�Sullivan
BritishTelevision Ed
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Sorry - I missed the article when I looked last time...

The film ends just abruptly as the book.

In your article you say about Sugar "The scars on her back from past beatings", but they weren't.

Not made clear in the film, but in the book Sugar has some skin ailment that caused her skin to flake and scar, her back was said to have a pattern from these scars.

The makeup the actress wore was a paste with stuff in that flaked off, though you'd have to have known what they were trying to portray to notice it, and that also accounted for her very pale skin colour. You'll maybe notice in the last episode her scratching her hands.

Without going into too much detail on a family site, but it is hard to see what her attraction was to Rackham, who visited her after reading a recommendation in a guide to the houses. The book says she was famous (notorious?) because she would 'do anything' and would never say no to any request. But in the book there is no mention of any demand that Rackham made of her that was unconventional.

The book also says that Rackham's wife had a growth/swelling in her brain which was the cause for her illness, visions etc.

Peter F May, Wine Editor
Wine Website
WineForum
My Book
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
I'm guessing he came for pleasures of the flesh, then was captivated by her intellect and literary education - though how this was provided courtesy of Mrs Castaway's establishment is unclear.

Talking of which - thanks for the explanation about her scarred skin - I suppose the condition she suffered from did not require explanation onscreen and otherwise one would assume they were the result of mistreatment by her clients. And actually - I did feel they were the only clue to her profession! The fellow occupants of her first home all looked desperate and abandoned, yet Sugar seemed to have been dropped into this unlikely environment from another dimension! One with elocution lessons thrown in presumably - though occasionally she remembered she was supposed to be 'common', loik.

I suppose the difficulty was in giving her an air of 'street' (walker) credibility, yet allowing her to be a plausible child's governess, and to accompany her gentleman lover to classy restaurants.

Eileen O�Sullivan
BritishTelevision Ed
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Oh - and what about her book??? How disappointing was that? Floating down the street - and was Rackham supposed to be reading it at the end - ie some lackey had retrieved it and brought it to his home? If so - why?

What happened to his poor deluded missus? Did she end up with the angels in an earthbound convent - or dead in a ditch?

Where on Earth did Sugar go with someone else's child?

I think the Beeb is duty bound to finish it off if the author couldn't be bothered!! laugh

Last edited by Eileen Brit TV; 05/02/11 06:27 PM.

Eileen O�Sullivan
BritishTelevision Ed
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Originally Posted By: Eileen Brit TV
What happened to his poor deluded missus? Did she end up with the angels in an earthbound convent - or dead in a ditch?

Didn't you see Rackham go with the Police to identify the body on the shore of the Thames?

Peter F May, Wine Editor
Wine Website
WineForum
My Book
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.