logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Do enjoy the article Why Are Children's Books Important?

Did you know that children's books come in all of the following (and more) formats:

Audio books
For listening, an audio book is a recording of text that is being read. These are available in school and public libraries. These were once on cassette tapes, and many yet are!

Board books
Are made of thick cardboard, and cannot be easily torn like the paper of a regular book. Board books often have glossy pages and may be given to babies and preschoolers because they are more durable for these ages.

Hardcovers
Also called hardbacks or hardbound books, these have rigid protective covers that are typically made of cloth-covered cardboard, or sometimes leather. They may even have flexible spines that are sewn and allow the book to lie flat on a surface when open.

Paperbacks
Softbacks, or softcovers are called by all of these names because they describe the nature of the book's binding. These covers are typically made of paper or paperboard, and are usually held together with glue. These are often the most inexpensive books.

Pop-up books
This term normally applies to any three-dimensional book. Many times they are like the three-dimensional greeting cards, with shapes, paper pop-outs, pull-downs, and a profusion of colors inside, some of which may have different textures. Sometimes there are even places to put the fingers, to create a type of puppet show while reading.

Series
Are a sequence of books which have certain characteristics in common. These books are identified together as a group. Sometimes series are written by the same author, or they are a collection of books that have been marketed together.

Hmmm...which will you choose?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
Tiger
Hi April, is this suppose to be in this forum? I was thinking it belonged in the "childrens" section? I thought this site was titled "Ethnic Beauty" - I am confused. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: AprilAlisaMarquette
Do enjoy the article Why Are Children's Books Important?

Did you know that children's books come in all of the following (and more) formats:

Audio books
For listening, an audio book is a recording of text that is being read. These are available in school and public libraries. These were once on cassette tapes, and many yet are!

Board books
Are made of thick cardboard, and cannot be easily torn like the paper of a regular book. Board books often have glossy pages and may be given to babies and preschoolers because they are more durable for these ages.

Hardcovers
Also called hardbacks or hardbound books, these have rigid protective covers that are typically made of cloth-covered cardboard, or sometimes leather. They may even have flexible spines that are sewn and allow the book to lie flat on a surface when open.

Paperbacks
Softbacks, or softcovers are called by all of these names because they describe the nature of the book's binding. These covers are typically made of paper or paperboard, and are usually held together with glue. These are often the most inexpensive books.

Pop-up books
This term normally applies to any three-dimensional book. Many times they are like the three-dimensional greeting cards, with shapes, paper pop-outs, pull-downs, and a profusion of colors inside, some of which may have different textures. Sometimes there are even places to put the fingers, to create a type of puppet show while reading.

Series
Are a sequence of books which have certain characteristics in common. These books are identified together as a group. Sometimes series are written by the same author, or they are a collection of books that have been marketed together.

Hmmm...which will you choose?

Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Hi Angela,

Since this is a family friendly site, I tackled this particular article because it was brought to my attention by a couple of teachers that ethnic children need to be taught beauty too.

They need to learn the beauty of reading, and the beauty of expanding their minds. They also need to learn about the beauty of their individual ethnicities -- among many other things, so what better way to do so than to start them off with books?

Tiger
Tiger
Awesome - love the idea smile

Originally Posted By: AprilAlisaMarquette
Hi Angela,

Since this is a family friendly site, I tackled this particular article because it was brought to my attention by a couple of teachers that ethnic children need to be taught beauty too.

They need to learn the beauty of reading, and the beauty of expanding their minds. They also need to learn about the beauty of their individual ethnicities -- among many other things, so what better way to do so than to start them off with books?

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Hey April,

Love the article! I passed this on to my families with my younger readers. I did enjoy!

Tuculia Washington, Daughters Editor
Daughters Website
Daughters Forum

Live, Laugh and Love
�Making a difference in the world one person at a time�
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Hey Tuculia,

It's always nice to 'see' you. I am flattered! That means a lot coming from someone whose articles are always informative and insightful.

I'll see you at Daughters.

Angela, so glad I could be of service. LOL
Thanks for your comments! We help one another -- and others -- to better understand things when we have dialogue. smile

Last edited by AprilAlisaMarquette; 04/08/11 11:50 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Looking forward to having you drop in!

Tuculia Washington, Daughters Editor
Daughters Website
Daughters Forum

Live, Laugh and Love
�Making a difference in the world one person at a time�

Moderated by  Juliette - Ethnic Beauty 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.