Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
bertinglebra, ostabest, spoodle22, KaylaWa, Marie Stroman
57465 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57466 Members
417 Forums
113615 Topics
806793 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 07:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 417
Nancy Roussy 219
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 99
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 64
Jana - Creativity Editor 60
Mona - Astronomy 59
Beetlemess 49
Sandra Investing/HFinance 48
Susan - Meditation Editor 37
mary-tea1 17
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#675712 - 04/06/11 10:04 AM More on books for the wee ones...
AprilAlisaMarquette Offline
Shark

Loc: The South
Do enjoy the article Why Are Children's Books Important?

Did you know that children's books come in all of the following (and more) formats:

Audio books
For listening, an audio book is a recording of text that is being read. These are available in school and public libraries. These were once on cassette tapes, and many yet are!

Board books
Are made of thick cardboard, and cannot be easily torn like the paper of a regular book. Board books often have glossy pages and may be given to babies and preschoolers because they are more durable for these ages.

Hardcovers
Also called hardbacks or hardbound books, these have rigid protective covers that are typically made of cloth-covered cardboard, or sometimes leather. They may even have flexible spines that are sewn and allow the book to lie flat on a surface when open.

Paperbacks
Softbacks, or softcovers are called by all of these names because they describe the nature of the book's binding. These covers are typically made of paper or paperboard, and are usually held together with glue. These are often the most inexpensive books.

Pop-up books
This term normally applies to any three-dimensional book. Many times they are like the three-dimensional greeting cards, with shapes, paper pop-outs, pull-downs, and a profusion of colors inside, some of which may have different textures. Sometimes there are even places to put the fingers, to create a type of puppet show while reading.

Series
Are a sequence of books which have certain characteristics in common. These books are identified together as a group. Sometimes series are written by the same author, or they are a collection of books that have been marketed together.

Hmmm...which will you choose?

Add More on books for the wee ones... to Twitter Add More on books for the wee ones... to Facebook Add More on books for the wee ones... to MySpace Add More on books for the wee ones... to Del.icio.us Digg More on books for the wee ones... Add More on books for the wee ones... to Yahoo My Web Add More on books for the wee ones... to Google Bookmarks Add More on books for the wee ones... to Stumbleupon Add More on books for the wee ones... to Reddit
#675782 - 04/06/11 02:26 PM Re: More on books for the wee ones... [Re: AprilAlisaMarquette]
Angela J. Shirley Offline
Tiger

Hi April, is this suppose to be in this forum? I was thinking it belonged in the "childrens" section? I thought this site was titled "Ethnic Beauty" - I am confused. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: AprilAlisaMarquette
Do enjoy the article Why Are Children's Books Important?

Did you know that children's books come in all of the following (and more) formats:

Audio books
For listening, an audio book is a recording of text that is being read. These are available in school and public libraries. These were once on cassette tapes, and many yet are!

Board books
Are made of thick cardboard, and cannot be easily torn like the paper of a regular book. Board books often have glossy pages and may be given to babies and preschoolers because they are more durable for these ages.

Hardcovers
Also called hardbacks or hardbound books, these have rigid protective covers that are typically made of cloth-covered cardboard, or sometimes leather. They may even have flexible spines that are sewn and allow the book to lie flat on a surface when open.

Paperbacks
Softbacks, or softcovers are called by all of these names because they describe the nature of the book's binding. These covers are typically made of paper or paperboard, and are usually held together with glue. These are often the most inexpensive books.

Pop-up books
This term normally applies to any three-dimensional book. Many times they are like the three-dimensional greeting cards, with shapes, paper pop-outs, pull-downs, and a profusion of colors inside, some of which may have different textures. Sometimes there are even places to put the fingers, to create a type of puppet show while reading.

Series
Are a sequence of books which have certain characteristics in common. These books are identified together as a group. Sometimes series are written by the same author, or they are a collection of books that have been marketed together.

Hmmm...which will you choose?

Add Re: More on books for the wee ones... to Twitter Add Re: More on books for the wee ones... to Facebook Add Re: More on books for the wee ones... to MySpace Add Re: More on books for the wee ones... to Del.icio.us Digg Re: More on books for the wee ones... Add Re: More on books for the wee ones... to Yahoo My Web Add Re: More on books for the wee ones... to Google Bookmarks Add Re: More on books for the wee ones... to Stumbleupon Add Re: More on books for the wee ones... to Reddit
#675906 - 04/07/11 11:36 AM Re: More on books for the wee ones... [Re: Angela J. Shirley]
Shark

Hi Angela,

Since this is a family friendly site, I tackled this particular article because it was brought to my attention by a couple of teachers that ethnic children need to be taught beauty too.

They need to learn the beauty of reading, and the beauty of expanding their minds. They also need to learn about the beauty of their individual ethnicities -- among many other things, so what better way to do so than to start them off with books?

Add Re: More on books for the wee ones... to Twitter Add Re: More on books for the wee ones... to Facebook Add Re: More on books for the wee ones... to MySpace Add Re: More on books for the wee ones... to Del.icio.us Digg Re: More on books for the wee ones... Add Re: More on books for the wee ones... to Yahoo My Web Add Re: More on books for the wee ones... to Google Bookmarks Add Re: More on books for the wee ones... to Stumbleupon Add Re: More on books for the wee ones... to Reddit
#675937 - 04/07/11 01:53 PM Re: More on books for the wee ones... [Re: AprilAlisaMarquette]
Angela J. Shirley Offline
Tiger

Awesome - love the idea smile

Originally Posted By: AprilAlisaMarquette
Hi Angela,

Since this is a family friendly site, I tackled this particular article because it was brought to my attention by a couple of teachers that ethnic children need to be taught beauty too.

They need to learn the beauty of reading, and the beauty of expanding their minds. They also need to learn about the beauty of their individual ethnicities -- among many other things, so what better way to do so than to start them off with books?

#676120 - 04/08/11 01:46 AM Re: More on books for the wee ones... [Re: Angela J. Shirley]
Tuculia, Daughters Editor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Loc: Michigan, Southfield
Hey April,

Love the article! I passed this on to my families with my younger readers. I did enjoy!

Live, Laugh and Love
�Making a difference in the world one person at a time�

#676211 - 04/08/11 11:46 AM Re: More on books for the wee ones... [Re: Tuculia, Daughters Editor]
Shark

Hey Tuculia,

It's always nice to 'see' you. I am flattered! That means a lot coming from someone whose articles are always informative and insightful.

I'll see you at Daughters.

Angela, so glad I could be of service. LOL
Thanks for your comments! We help one another -- and others -- to better understand things when we have dialogue. smile

Edited by AprilAlisaMarquette (04/08/11 11:50 AM)

#676215 - 04/08/11 12:15 PM Re: More on books for the wee ones... [Re: AprilAlisaMarquette]
Tuculia, Daughters Editor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Loc: Michigan, Southfield
Looking forward to having you drop in!

Live, Laugh and Love
�Making a difference in the world one person at a time�

Moderator:  Juliette - Ethnic Beauty 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Lisa's Daily 10pm EST / 8pm MST Meditation
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Meditation
Today at 06:08 PM
St. Lucia for Families
by Candyce - Adventure Living
Adventure Living
Today at 05:01 PM
Why DON'T you have tattoos?
by Nancy Roussy
Body Art
Today at 03:19 PM
Saturn's Moon Rhea discovered Dec 23, 1672
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Today at 02:31 PM
You could help name a crater on Mercury
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Today at 02:11 PM
Blank Canvas
by Nancy Roussy
Body Art
Today at 08:38 AM
Ear Piercing and Children
by Nancy Roussy
Body Art
Today at 08:31 AM
Indigo And The Brow Chakra
by Teresa - Holistic Health
Holistic Health
Today at 07:50 AM
Daily World Peace Group Meditation
by Susan - Meditation Editor
Meditation
Today at 07:34 AM
Where are you and how is the weather?
by Nancy Roussy
Inspiration
Today at 07:00 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
0 registered (), 133 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.